iOS 9 - Main thread

cifip

Idea

• Level 5

Hi all,

We're all very excited about Apple's announcement of iOS 9 on Monday. As many of you are developers also, you may have already installed iOS 9 on one or more devices. We've started doing the same, but like everyone else we just got our hands on iOS 9 Beta 1.

There will surely be unforeseen issues with Evernote running on devices with iOS 9 Beta. As well, none of the nifty new features that were introduced - i.e. Search within apps from iOS Search, Slide Over, Split View, etc. - are in Evernote yet. We've got developers attending WWDC to learn more about what's new and how we can best use these features. We'll look to take full advantage of what iOS 9 has to offer and many of the new features, and we hope you like how we do that.

Meanwhile, if you are running iOS 9 Beta 1 with the latest Evernote for iOS app from the App Store and come across an issue, please let us know in this thread. While we don't support pre-release OSes (developers can't submit builds to the App Store from a pre-release version of Xcode), we'll try to fix as many identified bugs as possible so that you have a great Evernote experience when iOS 9 becomes officially available.

Thanks for your understanding and support.

Cheers,

Chuck

PS - If you do identify a bug using iOS 9 Beta, please note your device model, wifi/cellular connectivity, iOS 9 Beta version, and Evernote app version.

26 replies to this idea

That was a huge disappointment, let me tell you.  I have a lot of notes with passwords, work related information, when auto oil changes are due, etc in my iPhone notes.  I've been shooting them over to Evernote as I need them. I should have bitten the bullet and sent them all over at once!  I have confidence that you'll straighten it out though.

I have an iPad 2 with iOS 9, which cannot be upgraded to iOS 10 or higher. I recently reset the iPad and tried to download Evernote app from AppStore, but couldn't since the latest version is 64-bit and requires iOS 10. Is there any way I can get 32-bit version of Evernote for my iPad 2?

I am using an ipad 2 and an iphone 6+s . When using the web clipper on safari. I am unable to change the notebook it sends it to in evernote. Its defaulting to a business notebook and it is impossible to change to a personal one for example. When trying to do this it just crashes immediately and diesnt send a clip to evernote. I have turned it off and closed safari and evernote. Rebooted the device! Tried numerous reboots with it turned on and off. Still no fix. Any ideas!

• Level 5

Hi all,

For version 7.7.11 on the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus, there is an issue with gesture recognition for tapping on a note list in Snippets view. It appears that tapping to the far left works (thanks, @brewerpaul!) as well as switching to Cards view.

But...good news! We've just pushed out version 7.8 to the App Store and it should be available shortly. It fixes this issue and introduces some nifty new iOS 9 and 3D Touch features that I hope you like. (I'll write the forum post as soon as I'm done with this reply. )

Cheers,

Chuck

Here are the details on the new version: Evernote for iOS v7.8 Released

I've had that problem intermittently ever since I started with Evernote about a year ago. With much trial and error, it seems to work best when I tap on the left side of the note, not in the center which was my first choice.  It also seems to help not to tap too quickly- more of a decisive touch.  It still sometimes takes several tries, usually when I'm trying to quickly access work related information and time is of the essence.

That seems to work, thanks!

I've had that problem intermittently ever since I started with Evernote about a year ago. With much trial and error, it seems to work best when I tap on the left side of the note, not in the center which was my first choice.  It also seems to help not to tap too quickly- more of a decisive touch.  It still sometimes takes several tries, usually when I'm trying to quickly access work related information and time is of the essence.

• Level 5

Until the iOS 9 update, I used to be able to open an iPhone note, click on the AirDrop icon (square with an up arrow) and one of the options that appeared was Evernote.

This sent that note to my Evernote app(s) which was really handy.  Now, that option doesn't show up which means that any iOS not I want in Evernote I have to enter manually.  Is Apple intentionally blocking this to encourage people to use their new Note app? Can it be fixed?

Hi,

We noticed that too. :(

We're not yet certain why there is a much smaller subset of extensions available for sharing in the iOS Notes app, but we'll be investigating to determine if there is anything we can do on our end.

Thanks,

Chuck

Until the iOS 9 update, I used to be able to open an iPhone note, click on the AirDrop icon (square with an up arrow) and one of the options that appeared was Evernote.

This sent that note to my Evernote app(s) which was really handy.  Now, that option doesn't show up which means that any iOS not I want in Evernote I have to enter manually.  Is Apple intentionally blocking this to encourage people to use their new Note app? Can it be fixed?

• Level 5

Thanks everyone for your bug reports and feedback. We'll be submitting our first release supporting iOS 9 features shortly and will be adding more in upcoming releases to take advantage of iOS 9 and the new Apple devices.

Stay tuned!

If you'd like to test things out before they're released and provide additional feedback, please consider joining our beta program --> Become an Evernote Beta Tester.

Cheers,
Chuck

I love evernote, I use this app everyday for work and personal stuff. I have been a Premium member for a few years now and haven't foumd anything like it.

That being said... I really wish that you would incorporate font size changes, and the ability to change fonts on ios devices. I really would like multitasking capabilities for my ipad use. These two things would virtually eliminate my need for taking my macbook pro everywhere with me. At this point I can only make these chages on my mac and then sync before opening up on my ipad. Just too many steps! Any plans on these updates?

I'm now on the public iOS 9 and wondering when there will be update to the Evernote app.  I know people want some glitches figured out first - but one thing I have very much been looking forward to is split screen capability.  This is a must for this app and will make the iPad Air2 much more useful (than it already is).  

Found an issue: Only front camera available in Evernote and Scannable for iOS. Can't seem to switch to rear camera at all, which makes scanning practically unusable. In camera view, the camera switch (front/back) icon is not present in top-left corner, nor is the camera mode (picture/scan) icon in the top right.

device model: iPhone 5S

wifi/cellular connectivity: on wifi, no problems connecting otherwise

iOS 9 Beta version: 3

Evernote app version: 7.7.10

Hi Kraig,

Thanks for the bug report - we'll check that out.

Can you please confirm that you're using iOS 9 public beta 3 (aka developer beta 5)?

Also - have you noticed this issue in any other app or after restarting your device?

Thanks!

Chuck

iOS 9 Public Beta 3

I restarted the app and the device. Then anything using the camera app went black, so I restarted the Camera app then Evernote. Now it's working again.

Same combo of software on my iPad 2 works fine.

• Level 5

Found an issue: Only front camera available in Evernote and Scannable for iOS. Can't seem to switch to rear camera at all, which makes scanning practically unusable. In camera view, the camera switch (front/back) icon is not present in top-left corner, nor is the camera mode (picture/scan) icon in the top right.

Hi Kraig,

Thanks for the bug report - we'll check that out.

Can you please confirm that you're using iOS 9 public beta 3 (aka developer beta 5)?

Also - have you noticed this issue in any other app or after restarting your device?

Thanks!

Chuck

Well IMHO Evernote has -compared to other Apps on the Store- not really so much bugs that are pretty critical.

From the new features the "Search within Apps" feature is of course the killer feature that everyone is looking for! Since every iOS User can participate from it, not just users with the newest iPad.

Hi! I am an avid Evernote user. While I am excited for Evernote on iOS 9, I have to agree with the poster above.

There have been a ton of bugs, and those need to be fixed.

Focus on adding the features users have been requesting for YEARS — like having true templates, making sharing easier (getting non-EN users to collaborate with me is like pulling teeth because they say it's not user friendly) and making tables more advanced. The ONLY thing you guys should add in iOS 9 is split screen mode. Other than that, ADD THE FEATURES WE HAVE BEEN ASKING FOR... If you do that, iOS Notes (or anyone else for that matter), will never be able to touch you.

• Level 5*

Hi all,

We're all very excited about Apple's announcement of iOS 9 on Monday. As many of you are developers also, you may have already installed iOS 9 on one or more devices. We've started doing the same, but like everyone else we just got our hands on iOS 9 Beta 1.

There will surely be unforeseen issues with Evernote running on devices with iOS 9 Beta. As well, none of the nifty new features that were introduced - i.e. Search within apps from iOS Search, Slide Over, Split View, etc. - are in Evernote yet. We've got developers attending WWDC to learn more about what's new and how we can best use these features. We'll look to take full advantage of what iOS 9 has to offer and many of the new features, and we hope you like how we do that.

Chuck,

Yes, new OS releases always bring exciting, new opportunities that many would like to have right now.

However, IMO, there are many, many of us that would greatly prefer that you fix the bugs in the current version, and make it rock solid before diverting any resources to the new Apple iOS or new features.

Adding new features from the new iOS is like adding a 2nd floor to a house that has structural issues with the existing 1st floor, with large cracks appearing in many walls.  Do you really think it is wise to add additional load to such a weak structure?

Not only that, but there are several basic features many have requested long ago, like providing direct control over text font-face and font-size.  You don't need the new IOS 9 to provide that.

Finally, unlike a lot of the headline-grabbing blogs, I don't think Evernote needs to be concerned about the changes Apple is making to Apple iOS Notes.  The new iOS9 Notes still has a ways to go to provide the features of Evernote.  As long as you fix the current issues/bugs in EN iOS, and make it rock solid, you will do well.

Best Regards,

JMichael

Archived