Evernote 5.8.8.7837 will not install

Cuda

I received the usual update notice about a new version 5.8.8.7837.  I use the free version of Evernote since I am no longer in business but still like it for personal item.  This version will not install.  I have tried 5 times, all ending with the same message:

The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable.

Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing  the installation package 'Evernote.msi' in the box below.

Apparently the installer cannot locate the installation package on Evernote's server.

When I click cancel this is followed up with another message stating Evernote cannot be removed.  This process has removed my functioning Evernote program from my desktop.  Then there is a final message referring to a bootstrap error.

Since I am using the free account I cannot email or chat with support.  In the meantime I get the update notice everyday.

I also tried the direct download from the website but the same thing happened.

Does someone have a solution please?

post-129116-0-73727600-1433770135_thumb.

gazumped, thank you for the quick reply!  Unfortunately none of the suggestions worked.  I did notice on a reboot that I still have my current version, which is good.  It's looking the msi file that apparently is not there.  I'm hoping the situation will correct itself on the next update.

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  I thought the first of those links was the definitive fix - obviously I was wrong!  (Not the first time.. :()

'Losing' the MSI file is something to do with folder permissions I think,  and probably won't be fixed by a simple update;  but if you're happy to continue for the moment at least,  that's fine.  The next level of suggestion would be to rerun the installation file for your current version which Evernote keeps in this folder  C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote\AutoUpdate

File > Exit EN and re-run the installation file again.  That should fix the msi file.

However if you haven't already done so,  before you do that,  copy the Databases folder (also here - C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote\) somewhere safe!

• Level 5*

I received the usual update notice about a new version 5.8.8.7837.  I use the free version of Evernote since I am no longer in business but still like it for personal item.  This version will not install.  I have tried 5 times, all ending with the same message:

The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable.

Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing  the installation package 'Evernote.msi' in the box below.

Apparently the installer cannot locate the installation package on Evernote's server.

When I click cancel this is followed up with another message stating Evernote cannot be removed.  This process has removed my functioning Evernote program from my desktop.  Then there is a final message referring to a bootstrap error.

I have seen a number of similar reports recently.  Looks like the Evernote update process is flawed and/or has bugs.

To help Evernote identify the specific causes, and to put pressure on them to fix, you may want to:

Submit a BUG report via an EN Support Ticket. In the Support Form, select "Report a bug", and start the Ticket Title with "BUG:  " to make it clear.  Reporting a bug should be available to all users, including Free Account owners.  Other Ticket types available to Free users are "Data Loss", "Crash", & "Sync Issue".

I found some folder access issues and corrected them.  I also found the msi file and verified it was 5.8.8.  Another attempt and same result so I manually selected the msi file.  The next window told me the msi file was not correct and to find the 5.8.5 msi file!!  I used the 5.8.8 exe to install!  Attempted again without any luck.  Copied my data folder to a safe location and uninstalled Evernote but it was confused on which version it was and would not uninstall.  Fortunately Windows 7 Manager was able to uninstall it.  Then I purged Evernote from the registry.  Another install attempt informed that another user had already installed Evernote!  Did a search in the forum and found the following 'hidden' registry keys need to be deleted:  E190C2EA  4C8BBCC8  8CCBB8C4.   

Also make sure to delete the msi file and evernotesetup.log from C:\Users\_windows_user_name\AppData\Local\Temp\

I was finally able to install 5.8.8 after that.

Hours spent on an obviously flawed update deliverance.

Hope this helps someone else!

p.s. This is how my Monday started.  It ended with the plumber informing me I have to replumb my entire house for almost $7K!!

• 3 weeks later...

I cannot believe how big a crock of ***** the EN installer process is.  How come just about every other piece of software in the universe manages to update itself OK but with EN THE SAME PROBLEMS HAVE KEPT COMING BACK EVERY SINGLE TIME!!!!

I have uninstalled the old version

I have cleaned up the registry

I have wasted yet more hours of my life

... just like every other time I've tried to upgrade.

FFS Evernote, this is pathetic.

• Level 5*

I cannot believe how big a crock of ***** the EN installer process is.  How come just about every other piece of software in the universe manages to update itself OK but with EN THE SAME PROBLEMS HAVE KEPT COMING BACK EVERY SINGLE TIME!!!!

I have uninstalled the old version

I have cleaned up the registry

I have wasted yet more hours of my life

... just like every other time I've tried to upgrade.

FFS Evernote, this is pathetic.

Er,  Hi.  Sorry you're having issues.  It might make it easier for Evernote to have a look at the problem if you could specify what version of (presumably) Windows you're using,  and what exactly happens when you update.  It also may help to avoid repetitions (for a while at least) if next time you have to spring-clean Evernote,  you start out with Revo Uninstaller to completely clean the app from your system,  then download and install the latest version.  Don't forget to backup everything before you do that,  and export any unsynced notes or Local Notebooks.

• Level 5*

Evernote does seem to have an issue with their install/update process, and it seems to be across all platforms.

For some time there have been numerous reports of update issues with EN Win, EN Mac, and EN iOS (not sure about EN Android).

• Level 5*

Thank heavens us Android users have been spared the avalanche of update issues.  Do these multiple reports have any URLs to provide details of the issues we're apparently experiencing?

• Level 5*

@Gaz:  I'm sure you're well aware of these issues, since you are often the one who is suggesting a reinstall to fix the update issue.

IAC, as you often say, "Google is your friend".   ;)

• Level 5*

Sure there are update issues,  but given that 100M+ users get updates at least once a month I think we'd both know if there was a major issue.  For one thing we'd need a bigger forum...

Well, I'm really glad 100m users are having such a great time.  But if you'd posted that at 2:30 this morning, when I finally finished going through the registry and removing all traces of previous installations (for the record, I managed to get rid of every reference to Evernote manually, as Revo couldn't do it - but this thread finally gave the clue), I might just have committed to track you down and force-feed you the remnants of my mangled laptop.

Evernote has NEVER successfully updated on my windows machine without this ridiculous nonsense.

• Level 5*

Not denying that problems arise,  and they're occasionally a serious pain to fix - when I first went on to Windows 8.1 for some reason Evernote wouldn't run for a couple of weeks' installs,  reinstalls,  revos and whatnot.  Since then it's been fine,  and I hope your experience improves...

Archived