Horrible

JimmyBoy

Idea

I was quite excited to try the new beta thinking there may be a few tweaks and/or added functionality. I was horrified when I seen what greeted me. This appears to be following the trend of many developer's who want to go down the "Beautiful" / "Simple" approach, and in the process making something useful turn into useless.

I have not been using Evernote long, and the appeal was a layout that made sense to use which is now being butchered by UI "Improvements" that completely hinder the usability of the app.

A few notable things that have made my blood boil within the first 5 minutes of using it.

1) There appears to be only one way of viewing my notes now (can't see any obvious way to change this), and instead of being able to see approx. 30 notes in a list at a time, I'm now limited to approx. 5 notes on the screen at one time!! WTF?!?

2) In relation to the above, I cannot easily see at a glance what tags are on what notes

3) Saved Searches / Notebooks / Tags cannot be viewed concurrently. This is a real pain. If I want to look for a tag, then look in a notebook, then look at a saved search, I can't just simply go over to the left and click on what I wanted, I first have to open the appropriate view to access the item I wanted, more steps and ruins workflow.

4) Stacked Tags don't exist by the looks of it. I have a very intricate setup of tags and rely heavily on the structure of them to make sense. These are now all just presented in a meaningless alphabetical order, which makes my tags useless. This one "Improvement" on it's own makes evernote web unusable for me.

This has made the "old" version of evernote web go from being quite functional and usable with a few rough edges here and there, to completely unusable for me.

I often wonder if developers actually try using the apps they are making, because if they did, surely they wouldn't make such changes that completely butcher the usability of an app.

Please don't enforce this interface on anyone, at least leave an option to use the old layout (i.e.. the one that is actually usable).

6 replies to this idea

I should add, I am using the web version on a mac, not on a mobile device. Lots of wasted space, lots of missing functionality and a real step backwards in usability.

I hope these issue's are addressed, and my faith restored.

Okay, I don't want to start a new topic, so I try to give my opinion here in this topic.

I tried the new Beta now 4 times, every time for 6 to 10 days. And every time I came to the same result: Back to the old web version.

I am a user which is not only focussed to functionality. A good looking interface is also important for me.

In my opinion the new Beta web version does not provide any improvement in functionality or design.

The most critical step backwards is, that I cannot see my notebooks on the left side. Also it is not possible to move notes with drag and drop between notebooks.

There is a lot of wasted space which could be used for more informations.

I would propose: Keep the old web version and do carefully improvements in functionality and design there. The old version is good as it is and much more intuitive (as I wrote, I was falling back every time to the old version).

Regards

Matthias

The most critical step backwards is, that I cannot see my notebooks on the left side.

I've read many complaints from many people about this but so far no indication from Evernote that they're going to add it in. I'd love to stay with Evernote's web client (I use it at work on a LInux laptop), but I need those notebooks to appear along with the notes themselves on the same screen, and Evernote seems determined to get rid of that, at least for the web version.  So back to OneNote I go. OneNote's web client is annoyingly slow but at least the notebooks appear along with my notes.

I sent 777 emails with various notes in them to evernote believing i could search and find them ... many have tags and such... yet i was relying on being able to find a note that had the word let's say "retirement" in it. 

i will receive some notes that have "retirement" but not necessarily all and lots of notes that do not even mention retirement!!

The problem is when i do a search something may or may not be found and i know that the item is in there because I can see it as i scroll the notes. 

I have no faith that all that i read about the search-ability is in fact true ... and if not then not being able to have subfolders (unless you can but i can't figure it out) is

I hope maybe i did something wrong and that the notes being sent by email is the problem however that is one of the main reasons i chose to use Evernote. 

Thank you... 

Not only this, they're limiting you on mobile devices too. Sorry, bit of a flame post due to my 8 year trust in them eroding away by the day of late.

They're now forcing you to use the Evernote app only, if you try and browse on an iPhone currently, you'll receive a message stating that the iOS browser is unsupported. COME ON, factually THE most popular browser on the planet and Evernote can't support it?!? I only needed a quick number and there I am sat in a car park on mobile data HAVING to download the full app, whats the big deal with denying us access to log into (even the old non beta version) the web app.

Evernote USED to be great, really good thinkers behind the project, really great direction but it's now heading into just another enterprise app territory on the take. Alienating the early supporters with carte blanche changes like "No more email to Evernote"

Was it REALLY that big a strain on Evernote's infrastructure? 

Have they gotten so desperate to now deny free users of the occasional email to evernote function?? 

I just hope they make it easy for customers to leave as WELL as join. I'm thinking taking my data elsewhere is going to be SUPER difficult. The old, lock in strategy. Hey, at least dropbox don't do it.

Archived