PowerApp from Todoist might fill that gap for heavy-duty Evernote Reminder users

For those of you who struggle with effectively integrating Evernote's reminders into your broader productivity workflow might want to check out the newly released PowerApp from Todoist. An excerpt from a brief overview at MacStories:

When you connect an Evernote notebook to PowerApp, Todoist will find reminders attached to notes and turn them into tasks in a new project... With PowerApp, I can create a bridge between Evernote and Todoist so that, when I'm working in Evernote, I can tap the alarm icon and know that a task will be created in Todoist. I won't be able to view the note's content in there, but at least I'll have a connection between Evernote and Todoist, with the note reminder showing up alongside all my other tasks in a single place.1 This allows me to use Evernote for what it excels at – rich text formatting and inline images – and leverage PowerApp to let Todoist handle note reminders.

I don't use Evernote reminders for day-to-day task management so I haven't really found a need to give this a shot, but I see people frequently lamenting some of the inadequacies of Evernote reminders. Certainly this isn't going to resolve everybody's various issues with Evernote reminders, but man I suspect this could be helpful for some, especially if they happened to use todoist already. 

Todoist is my task manager of choice, in large part due to its integration with IFTTT.  I like being able to use Siri to create tasks and archiving my completed tasks, among other things that IFTTT allows.  I don't use Evernote reminders, mainly as it just don't fit into my workflow.  I really wanted to create a task in Todoist by using Evernote, just to simplify things (for instance, I use a template in Evernote to log phone calls at work.  If I need to return a call or the call requires a follow-up, it would be killer if I could tag the note, and automatically create a task in Todoist).  The only available trigger with Evernote on IFTTT is for a new public link to be created, which I was not crazy about.  And for the record, I checked out Zapier, but didn't want to pay for a service that IFTTT does for free, and in my opinion, just as well. 

The Power App is still basic - you just add a reminder to the note, and the task is created in Todoist.  I'm not sure how often it syncs, or how moving a reminder note to another notebook would affect the task.  Also, the link in Todoist opens the task in Evernote web.  I think the Power App leaves some to be desired, but its a great first step.  For now, its saving me from having to list a task twice - just add a note reminder and it gets added to my task list.  Of course, I still have to move it to the project I want it in, label it, add a due date, etc. 

Todoist has definitely become more Evernote-friendly since I started using it, and while it's far from perfect, it's pretty darn great for task management. 

• Level 5*

Todoist is my task manager of choice, in large part due to its integration with IFTTT.  I like being able to use Siri to create tasks and archiving my completed tasks, among other things that IFTTT allows.  I don't use Evernote reminders, mainly as it just don't fit into my workflow.  I really wanted to create a task in Todoist by using Evernote, just to simplify things (for instance, I use a template in Evernote to log phone calls at work.  If I need to return a call or the call requires a follow-up, it would be killer if I could tag the note, and automatically create a task in Todoist).  The only available trigger with Evernote on IFTTT is for a new public link to be created, which I was not crazy about.  And for the record, I checked out Zapier, but didn't want to pay for a service that IFTTT does for free, and in my opinion, just as well. 

The Power App is still basic - you just add a reminder to the note, and the task is created in Todoist.  I'm not sure how often it syncs, or how moving a reminder note to another notebook would affect the task.  Also, the link in Todoist opens the task in Evernote web.  I think the Power App leaves some to be desired, but its a great first step.  For now, its saving me from having to list a task twice - just add a note reminder and it gets added to my task list.  Of course, I still have to move it to the project I want it in, label it, add a due date, etc. 

Todoist has definitely become more Evernote-friendly since I started using it, and while it's far from perfect, it's pretty darn great for task management. 

I agree with pretty much all of this. I had given up on Todoist after a lot of use (the subtask setup is infuriatingly terrible), and while I love Trello and Evernote, I struggle to use either of them for full task management when I'm so dependent on repeat tasks (I do graphic design, social media, and general marketing). I was incredibly excited to see this PowerApp integration come, but fairly disappointed in its setup. Opening in the web app is the kicker for me. I gave it a fair go, however, and I actually don't mind the rest of the way the integration works.

Changing the titles/notebooks/projects of the tasks, once created, don't effect anything. So, I can set my Evernote Inbox to sync reminders to Todoist, and process the note how I wish and the task how I wish. The reminder stays, but any dates set up in Todoist don't migrate to Evernote (though they stay in Todoist). Note/task titles don't swap. Changing notebooks/projects doesn't break the tie. This is actually pretty nice. I'm a GTD die-hard so it's nice that I can manage my tasks how I wish and not interfere with how I manage my reference files.

What I really want now is the ability to create tasks and such, and add reference files from Evernote. Or, to create a task via the Evernote integration but add other Evernote notes as attachments. Then I'll be in 7th heaven. For now, this integration is enough to get me, grumbling, back to using Todoist. At least the new web version is much faster, making it less of a pain to use.

I agree with pretty much all of this. I had given up on Todoist after a lot of use (the subtask setup is infuriatingly terrible), and while I love Trello and Evernote, I struggle to use either of them for full task management when I'm so dependent on repeat tasks (I do graphic design, social media, and general marketing). I was incredibly excited to see this PowerApp integration come, but fairly disappointed in its setup. Opening in the web app is the kicker for me. I gave it a fair go, however, and I actually don't mind the rest of the way the integration works.

Changing the titles/notebooks/projects of the tasks, once created, don't effect anything. So, I can set my Evernote Inbox to sync reminders to Todoist, and process the note how I wish and the task how I wish. The reminder stays, but any dates set up in Todoist don't migrate to Evernote (though they stay in Todoist). Note/task titles don't swap. Changing notebooks/projects doesn't break the tie. This is actually pretty nice. I'm a GTD die-hard so it's nice that I can manage my tasks how I wish and not interfere with how I manage my reference files.

What I really want now is the ability to create tasks and such, and add reference files from Evernote. Or, to create a task via the Evernote integration but add other Evernote notes as attachments. Then I'll be in 7th heaven. For now, this integration is enough to get me, grumbling, back to using Todoist. At least the new web version is much faster, making it less of a pain to use.

If it actually worked, I would be happy.  Nothing is syncing for me, and official word from Todoist is they are lookiing into it. 

We think the new PowerApp integrations will be a great step forward once the kinks are addressed.  For those who have tasks inside there notes and are less focused on the entire note as a task, you might try TaskClone which works with Evernote checkboxes.

• 2 months later...

We think the new PowerApp integrations will be a great step forward once the kinks are addressed.  For those who have tasks inside there notes and are less focused on the entire note as a task, you might try TaskClone which works with Evernote checkboxes.

I wish you support CalDav and I would be happy to pay for your service.

The main issue I have with Google Tasks is it is not available in iOS and I don't want to run yet another app on iOS. 

Yahoo Tasks supports CalDav for instance, even though Yahoo doesn't sound like a business tool.

I can achieve same integration between Evernote and Google Tasks without TaskClone, directly through Zappier. 

When Zappier comes out with Exchange support ( it says it's coming..) I would be able to sync between Evernote and Exchange (I hope Tasks in Exchange). 

For people who need Calendar and Evernote Reminders sync, you can use Cronofy for Evernote.

@polocanada,

We'll look at CalDav, but our current service uses Google to convert natural language to events.  Don't believe CalDav supports this. 

Regarding Evernote, we can guarantee you that Zapier does not do what TaskClone does.  

Zapier can turn a note title into a task in Google Tasks.  That's useful and I'm sure many people use it.  Zapier cannot take a checklist of tasks represented with checkboxes and turn each into a task in Google Tasks.  That is what TaskClone does.  

You can see Zapier's functionality at https://zapier.com/zapbook/evernote/.  We use Zapier internally and find it very useful for many things, but not for what we do.  If your note has more than one task you want to track being able to create individual tasks should be of benefit.

If you want to integrate with Evernote at the note or Reminder level, there are many options.  Very different story at the level of individual tasks.

You can see our blog post and infographic on the distinction.  

@TaskClone

Caldav is limited in some way, but it is actually powerful in other respect it does do things that Google tasks didn't do (at the point of time when I reviewed it and it doesn't seem it has changed much since Google released Google Tasks)

TaskClone - actually I don't doubt it can do more. It's easy to become app junkie sucker so I rather take it in small bites, if the basics don't fit into my workflow, the rest won't make up.  

For simple sync between calendars and Evernote, there is not much choice out there. That's not correct. There is only Cronofy and Todoist with PowerApp. Actually I managed to get the Todoist service working. They have problematic interface, the website doesn't load well and the sync is delayed by a few minutes at least. Conofy sync is absolutely instant. It's a beautiful service, simple and reliable. I hope they are going to around. It's a competitive business and you have to make sure you stay relevant, for a startup not an easy drill. I remember those days when Evernote started, it was simple no-frills and it just worked. 

There are more options available for sync between calendar and Evernote but these rely on mobile device. This may be option for people who care about privacy and don't want a cloud service to do that. Here are options:

https://www.google.ca/search?client=opera&q=site:https://appcenter.evernote.com/app/evermatch-notes/iphone+calendar&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8#q=site:https://appcenter.evernote.com/app/+calendar

I made comments on the Infographic, that's not to retort. The comments are for myself so I don't forget when I look at it in a few weeks time. Ignore the comment about free, although I do pay for services that are worth it, WorkETC doesn't have freemium model to try if it works and cost is too high to justify it for things I need and some other services don't have free model either.

While TaskClone integrates with these services, I assume, TaskClone doesn't fit for me right now (reason mentioned above). So i checked the other services and here are my comments.

atvmlz.jpg

Just to add to Todoist PowerApp topic:

The sync with Google Calendar seems working 50% of the time and very slow. Sometimes the things don't even pop up in Calendar, although the same appointment pops up instantly without issues in Exchange Calendar via Cronofy.

Could be there is interference? Does perhaps Todoist only scan new and changed notes or skip notes without getting back to them if they happen to be locked while Cronofy is running.. It seems like when Cronofy is disconnected from Evernote, Todoist PowerApp runs better with Google Calendar, but there is still this significant delay. There is no delay when syncing Evernote to Todoist app.

The website is just frustrating, but I guess it's still in Beta.

Archived