BUG: Camera not working correctly on document imaging

JMH-SJ

Idea

With the update two releases ago (not most recent, one before that) the camera "broke" on my 5s using Evernote Premium. I'm using a moleskin notebook. When I try and image the page, the auto detect and scan doesn't work (works for business cards though just fine). When I force the picture by clicking the button, an image is taken, the quickie preview looks good, but then the image saved has about a half inch cropped off the left side and the top margins. I have the notebook on a black background so no issues with contrast. I've been using this feature for months with no problem. I can edit the image and correct the margins, but this tells me the feature isn't working because it is saving a much larger image area than the page. Not reasonable to go and edit each and every image. Plus this is consuming excess storage as well.

Any ideas?

6 replies to this idea

• Level 5

Hi,

Sorry to hear about your issue. We've had a couple reports of this and we're looking into it.

Meanwhile, if the auto-capture is having trouble locking on to a Moleskine page (and it is on a contrasting background and seeing all edges in the viewfinder), the trouble is usually due to lack of detecting the inside edge of the page. One workaround is to "trick" the camera by putting the green ribbon down the middle, pulling it tight to make a straight line. Another way is to lift up the opposite side of the book, which makes a definite crease on the inside edge.

We hope to have a better solution soon.

Cheers,

Chuck

• Level 5

Chuck, has there been any progress on this issue? This is also a problem for me. ~Erin

Hi Erin,

This should have been improved with our 7.7.9 release in July. Please advise if you are still having issues and if so what version of the Evernote app and OS and device you're using.

Thanks,

Chuck

Hi Chuck—

I'm on v7.7.10, iOS 8.4 (haven't done the 8.4.1 update yet this week). 

I'm still having the same problem that started with the update a few back. Camera can almost never lock onto the image... it's starts to get green/capture, but can't finish. I'm shooting against dark background, green ribbon of my notebook held firmly in place. 

Thanks

Erin

Hey Mr. Evernote:

This problem is still not fixed. You all broke something a few months ago. This is the ONLY reason I have purchased an annual premium membership. Just so you are clear on the problem:

- document image on Moleskine (or any other notebook) crops image about 1/2 inch all around

- and that is even when the camera and the auto doc capture feature works, which it does not most of the time, image capture scan simply fails

- and, half the time the camera can't seem to focus on the page

It seems like you all know exactly what you did, but haven't been able to fix it.

What's the plan please?

Thanks,

Jim

evernote for iphone on  ios 9.02.  From wihin evernote, creating a new note with camera is now a problem.  It does a poor job recognizing journal edges (very tempermental and takes standing on one's head evidently to get it to recognize a page. Never used to be a problem.  Scannable app works 10x better now at recognizing and cropping a document.  I'm paying for premium so obviously would like this fixed at least to the abilities it used to have.

Archived