How to disable blinking cursor when editing text in Evernote?

• Level 5*
@Titanic:

That's standard OS behavior AFAIK.  Blinks in all apps I know of.

Funny, I never even noticed it.  Doesn't bother me at all.  If the cursor didn't blink, it would be much more difficult to find/see.

• 1 year later...

I know this is old, but I came here looking for the answer to this, so I thought I would post what I found.

Some Apple-made applications take their cues from NSText. This includes TextEdit, Finder, and Messages. Another application that uses NSText, helpfully, is Chrome.

The values used are NSTextInsertionPointBlinkPeriodOn and NSTextInsertionPointBlinkPeriodOff. You can change them in the terminal, e.g., like this:

defaults write -g NSTextInsertionPointBlinkPeriodOn -float 60000
defaults write -g NSTextInsertionPointBlinkPeriodOff -float 1

The above values will cause the cursor to blink once every minute, but only be off for a millisecond, so it's not noticeable. As I said, this only works in applications that use NSText, though.

Since Evernote, like many applications, does not have a preference that allows this setting to be changed, I just use the web version of Evernote in Chrome. Problem solved.

If you're on Firefox, you'll instead want to go into about:config and add (right-click) a new integer value called ui.caretBlinkTime, setting it to 0.

In Windows this can be done across the board with one change in the Keyboard properties. It baffles me why it's not available to do the same on MacOS. Constant cursor blink can be an accessibility issue, a medical one (stimuli overload), or it can simply be an irritant to many people.

Anyway, I hope that's helpful if anyone else comes looking to solve the same issue on MacOS. No, you can't do it in Evernote, but there are ways around this.

Archived