7 Suggestions for improving the Evernote user interface

This is specific to the Windows app, but most of these apply to other OS versions of Evernote as well:

Allow in-line title editing in notes list view - After using evernote daily for a year, I still constantly try to change titles by clicking on them in the list view. This is much more intuitive than modifying them only in note view.

auto-resize PDFs/jpgs to fit whole image to window - In the current implementation, you have to do a lot of scrolling to see what a large image or PDF is all about. Although they are scaled within the window horizontally, they are not vertically. Result? I only see the top quarter of most images and pdfs. Simple solution? Default should be to fit-to-window any image in a note.

Allow dynamic resizing of jpgs within notes - Cumbersome large images remain cumbersome and large with no recourse to shrink them. The ability to drag-and-resize is ubiquitous in windows apps now; feels antiquated that you can't do this in the windows evernote app.

Easy toggle between jpeg and attachment views - Toggle between inline and attachment views of pdfs and jpegs is buried as a checkbox under the notes option dialogue. PDFs thankfully allow a right-click toggle. Need this same capability for jpegs and other images.

Auto delete mistakenly-created tags - Mis-typed a tag? It's created and in your giant inventory of tags unless you go find it and manually delete it, even if you catch the mistake, delete the tag from the note immediately, and the tag is not linked with any other notes. Why not an optional dialogue box "you are deleting a tag that is not linked to any other notes. Do you want to delete the tag completely from evernote?"

Display MS documents (word/Excel/powerpoint) inline in note - It's fascinating to me that this feature already works in non-Windows versions of the software, but doesn't work on the Microsoft platform version. BTW, as with the easy toggle above, once you allow Word, Excel, and Powerpoint documents to appear inline in notes view, you'll need to make sure they auto resize to fit-to-window by default, allow easy resizing, and allow for easy toggling between in-line and attachment view. 

Allow control of default snippet image - It's neat to have a visual view using snippets, but it's not really valuable unless you give the user control of what image is displayed. I know there's a workaround, but it's impractical. The ideal solution is to be able to right click on any image in a note and set it as the default image for snippet view. 
  • Level 5*

Nice objective list of feature requests - some / all raised before (along with thousands of others) but these are all good workflow-related points that (hopefully) will be well up the list for attention soon...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I would also like to see a check message when you delete a note.  Currently, if you hit the Delete keyby mistake (I use the Home key quite a lot to get to the top of the list and the Delete key is just above it) the current note is deleted without warning and it can happen in a flash without you knowing it.

I have mentioned this before some time ago and with each update hope to see it implemented.  It seems a really fundamental thing to me especially when Evernote contains everything important in life now.

• 1 year later...
  • Level 5

The intrinsic problem with the Evernote voting system can easily be seen in this forum chain.

A person ends up voting for an incohesive list of wants, suggestions, and gee, that would be nice. 

The vote should be applied to a specific issue, and not a steadily growing shopping list.

• Level 5*
38 minutes ago, jbenson2 said:

The vote should be applied to a specific issue, and not a steadily growing shopping list.

Agreed and it should be OS independent, or at least have a way to collect those together.  I've voted on the collapsible section idea in at least two threads.

• Level 5*

+1 from me (Oh,  wait..) - I was trying to keep track of  the voting threads and move relevant posts around,  but there's just too much traffic and often a distinct lack of specificity (my word for the day). 

Being a Windows user I've moved a few requests into the Windows Feedback area - although the posters didn't actually give an OS - on the basis that any suggested improvement will get mirrored across the clients as far as it can be. 

It really would be better to have one feedback thread and concentrate on splitting that into areas like  Editor / Tags / Searching...  Maybe @gbarry could have another look at the system to see whether it's working satisfactorily from Evernote's perspective...

• 4 months later...

Archived