Evernote doesn't support webp image?

littne

Idea

Sometimes I use chrome web clipper to clip some pages to my notes, I could not view the webp images in the note.

Just try to clip this page: https://developers.google.com/speed/webp/gallery1

And you can reproduce the issue, you can't see those webp images. Very annoying. :(

I'm not sure this is a clipper problem, I think it might be that Evernote doesn't support webp image. 

I attached two images, that's how it looks on my web evernote and evernote Mac app, it's simliar on my iOS devices.

Could you add support to webp format? I think more and more webp images are used on web now.

post-259213-0-80817700-1432920475_thumb.

post-259213-0-41885200-1432920476_thumb.

• Like 8

68 replies to this idea

As Premium user that stongly relies on the clipping ability of Evernote to store information, images and documents, I cannot risk to discover just after weeks, months or years, that Evernot did not store the information shown in a webpage/article.

This creates a consistent damage to my work, and forces me (and any other user) to verify from beginning to end every single page that is being clipped, in order to feel safe that the content is actually being stored.

We aren't talking big medias here, but of image format, as we have many since the beginning of the 90's. As (also) a software engineer I totally understand delays in delivery, but I strongly believe that 6 years without any fix is too much.
The license is BSD; I do not see reasons to not implement WebP support.

There was no update or roadmap about that. And honestly I don't think that premium users are paying for this negligence.

• Like 3

This format was creted by google for the purpouse of mutch smaler images, with suport of animation (gif), transparency (png), and compression (jpg). They try to do the best of the various formats in one format. Its optimized for portable.

Today there are not lots of websites using this format, but as you can see, is almost inevitable the use off this image format.

I already started to find some websites with this format, and as I save the page in evernote, as expected, the image does not apear.

So I opened this post asking the suport for this already imerging image format.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WebP

http://havecamerawilltravel.com/photographer/webp-website/

• Like 1

The .webp image format was developed by Google in 2010.  I am noticing more and more websites are using this format due to its apprently better site-speed loading performance.

The problem is that when I clip a page to EN, using 'simplified article' or any other web clipper selection, the images are obviously not appearing and in their place is a standard icon/file name all wrapped inside a boxed border.

Anyone know if EN plans on adding the .webp format to their existing .jpg and ,png formats?

Attached is an example note i just clipped...cheers

ScreenCap_439 Sep. 08, 2017.jpg

Please add webp support as more and more websites are using webp. Unsupported webp results in a question mark/clipper icon in place of the image, often making the clipped article useless. I have to take screenshot instead of clipping sometimes to preserve the images. But that is very annoying. Please add the support. Shouldn't be a big technical challenge. Will improve user experience dramatically!

QQ20181123-084344@2x.png

• Like 1
On 6/1/2015 at 1:59 PM, jbignert said:

You are correct that at present Evernote does not support webp format. At the moment I don't have an update on if this is planned to be added or when.

Microsoft OneNote supports clipping webpages with webp images.
It's probably time to move out.
Take care with your reluctance, Evernote.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Hi.  Since I'd never heard of this format before you posted it (although I see it's been around for 6 years...) I'd say this isn't exactly a priority.  All the sites I checked for image file formats mention the '5 main types' of JPEG, GIF, BMP, TIFF and PNG - which Evernote currently has covered.  There seem to be various ways to convert from those five to the more arcane formats like this one - why would it be a good idea to add Evernote as another?

• Level 5*

Hi.  This was already dealt with in another thread.  Evernote don't currently cover this file type,  though they do include what seem to be amongst the top five image formats available.  Evernote also don't (usually) comment on individual feature requests,  though they do prioritise the most popular and the easiest to implement,  especially if supported by a large group of users.  Don't know how much work is involved for them in adding another format to display reliably in several different operating systems and dozens of devices,  but it would seem unlikely that they'll be able to add this option anytime soon,  even if they choose to do so.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, gazumped said:

This was already dealt with in another thread.

There's more than one, actually, all of which I found using forum search for All content with the search 'webp'. There's a feature request here: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Can we get more up votes on this please?  This is single-handedly making Evernote useless for saving web pages, as all major sites seem to have moved to this (particularly Quora).  This is the main reason I use Evernote.

Obviously I'm new here and don't have my sea legs under me yet.  I'm happy someone has already raised the issue about .webp files. I don't know how to move this topic to the right place. If someone can do it, or better still, show me how to do it, it would be much appreciated.

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, netpreneur said:

Obviously I'm new here and don't have my sea legs under me yet.  I'm happy someone has already raised the issue about .webp files. I don't know how to move this topic to the right place. If someone can do it, or better still, show me how to do it, it would be much appreciated.

Actually, I can just merge it to the existing topic, and you can then add your vote there (in addition to having your supporting posts as well).

Edit: merged

• Like 1
  • Level 5

From the Numbers I know, the use is below 1% of web sites, and it is not really growing fast. It gains 0.x% per year - I would not rank it a top priority.

Support for HEIC would be more important, and is missing as well.

After 5 years, majority of the web site and news site already upgrade and start using webp format to reduce the foot print of images.

Sorry for evernote.

Lack of support the trending image format, everyone suffers a black box of image like still in dinosaur era.

On 6/19/2020 at 8:00 PM, PinkElephant said:

From the Numbers I know, the use is below 1% of web sites, and it is not really growing fast. It gains 0.x% per year - I would not rank it a top priority.

Support for HEIC would be more important, and is missing as well.

The point is not really how many websites use it but how many Evernote users encounter them.

I've been running into this issue lately. One of my uses for Evernote is keeping inventories of certain collections/products that I own. I usually grab an official product image from the web to include in my inventory, and lately a lot of them have been .webp files. I found a workaround which is to convert them to .jpg . Just googling "convert webp to jpg" brings up a lot of results, but I particularly like this one: https://ezgif.com/webp-to-jpg . I have no affiliation with them, but I like that they allow you to paste the URL of the original image. So it cuts down on an extra step of having to download the original image to your device, and then upload it to the converter. It's not a perfect solution, but it's an OK workaround.

I would also like to vote for support of the webp format in the clipper. This is becoming more and more popular, and it's becoming a problem with my use of Evernote on Windows that webp images are replaced by an icon, making the note much less useful. 

• Level 5

Can you imagine that this obscure picture format was asked since 2015, and the app is still alive and kicking without it ?

There are a number of picture formats that could be supported, maybe it will happen one day.

Edit: Just tried on my Mac, it now shows webp. Kudos to @Mike P

• Like 1
On 1/30/2022 at 4:21 PM, Kevin Gu said:

Can you imagine this feature request has been raised since 2015? And 7 years have passed! Plz add webp support!

Well I've just clipped the example page quoted in the original post and it seems to work fine. Why do you believe it is still not working?

image.thumb.png.4c028b67014110e39cd5e82b7bedc63f.png

• Like 2

I am on Mac, just updated again and webp image still only shows in full note but not in Cards or Snippets view like other images do. I need it to show in Card view like the other images as I have used Evernote since the beginning as a rubber stamp visual gallery. Of course I use tags, notebooks, and a naming convention but I also need to see the images in the preview cards.

Screen_Capture_-_Feb_10__8_20_PM.png

4 hours ago, DedraWolff said:

I am on Mac, just updated again and webp image still only shows in full note but not in Cards or Snippets view like other images do. I need it to show in Card view like the other images as I have used Evernote since the beginning as a rubber stamp visual gallery. Of course I use tags, notebooks, and a naming convention but I also need to see the images in the preview cards.

This is strange. I am getting inconsistent results. If I just clip the image, like you, I do not get the thumbnail in the card view. However, if I clip a portion of a web page containing the image I get the thumbnail.

image.thumb.png.40cfad16f6d9845531618f1c67d12752.png

• Level 5

No, webp is not supported.

The issue pops up from time to time. Personally I don‘t see why a format Google tries to push on the rest of the world should be supported. But OK, it would be convenient.

You can request it to be supported via support ticket or feedback.

On 8/25/2022 at 8:32 AM, PinkElephant said:

No, webp is not supported.

The issue pops up from time to time. Personally I don‘t see why a format Google tries to push on the rest of the world should be supported. But OK, it would be convenient.

You can request it to be supported via support ticket or feedback.

Is it only unofficially supported? Because it does seem to work for me, albeit with occasional glitches. I don't save a lot of images, but I've run into some occasional issues with a webp image not creating a thumbnail, or sometimes refusing to render at all in the note on one platform, yet displaying just fine on another.

On 8/25/2022 at 8:32 AM, PinkElephant said:

Personally I don‘t see why a format Google tries to push on the rest of the world should be supported. But OK, it would be convenient.

I know you're not a fan of Google, but don't let that blind you to the benefits. It's a much better file format in many ways than the ancient gif, jpg, and png image formats which currently dominate the web. All browsers support webp. Squarespace and Wix already convert uploaded images to webp by default, and Wordpress (the dominant blog hosting software) is about to start doing the same thing in their next software release.

When they do, webp should quickly become ubiquitous. Hopefully Evernote will iron out any remaining glitches before then. And speaking of image formats, just so you don't think I'm a Google shill, there's an even better image format coming called AVIF, based on the AV1 video codec. AVIF is supported by a consortium of all the big tech companies called AOMedia. It takes a long time to make the transition to a new image format, so webp is a good stepping stone before AVIF takes over. 

• Level 5

Picture formats are sort of dinosaurs, except even the old ones are not yet extinct.

Remember JPEG2000 ? They tried to iron out some of the worst problems of JPEG, but the format change failed, even when it was clearly superior - and able to display JPEG as well, because it integrated it into the broader definition.

We will see what happens with webp. To push on EN to do something, the best way is a support ticket.

• Like 1

Thank you very much.

I'll create a support ticket.

I don't like Google either.
But if my browser didn't support .webp, I would dump it and switch to another browser.
Because it is inconvenient.
I hope evernote understands that this is customer behavior.

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert

I running Evernote 10.43.7

Web Clipper 7.26.0.403 in Firefox 104.0

Windows 11

I clipped a web page containing .webp images and they appeared in a note inside Evernote.

I attached a webp image to a different note and that displayed OK.

So it clearly isn't an Evernote app issue alone. Could it be the Web Clipper version in use?

The webp format is still not supported in Evernote Legacy and never will be. The new version of Evernote has moved with the times and this is another area where Legacy is deprecated.

It does not seem matter if a web clipper in is in the mix or not. I can drag a .webp from my desktop into Evernote and it still has this issue, so at least in my case the web clipper is not the culprit. Also, for those talking about a this being a rare format, I must be on the bleeding edge because it seems to be the format for these small business Shopify inventory websites and shopping carts  I tend to buy from. To combat the issue, I run the images through a folder that is attached to a file conversion action. I hate that I have to do this, but it has been a doable work-around. I also use Evernote for comic book inventories and many of those sites have also converted to .webp. Perhaps they are all trying to save on their AWS bills. :)

image.png.523ac5dd4c927aa461baba533568bb0c.png

• Like 1
14 hours ago, agsteele said:

Thankfully there AWS bills are nil. They host on Google 😜

I think the OP means all the sites which have converted their thumbnails and images to .webp. It's supposedly particularly efficient with thumbnails, and on a large site, the performance and bandwidth savings will add up. :) 

• Thanks 1
  • Evernote Expert

I don't have this issue neither with 10.43.7 nor with the new release 10.44.8

I would try a clean uninstall of the application and then reinstall. Acid using the default uninstaller. For Windows I suggest Revo Uninstaller which clears stubborn configuration files. Then reinstall.