littne

chrome Evernote doesn't support webp image?

Idea

Sometimes I use chrome web clipper to clip some pages to my notes, I could not view the webp images in the note.

Just try to clip this page: https://developers.google.com/speed/webp/gallery1

And you can reproduce the issue, you can't see those webp images. Very annoying. :(

I'm not sure this is a clipper problem, I think it might be that Evernote doesn't support webp image. 

I attached two images, that's how it looks on my web evernote and evernote Mac app, it's simliar on my iOS devices.

Could you add support to webp format? I think more and more webp images are used on web now.

post-259213-0-80817700-1432920475_thumb.

post-259213-0-41885200-1432920476_thumb.

• Like 5

38 replies to this idea

This format was creted by google for the purpouse of mutch smaler images, with suport of animation (gif), transparency (png), and compression (jpg). They try to do the best of the various formats in one format. Its optimized for portable.

Today there are not lots of websites using this format, but as you can see, is almost inevitable the use off this image format.

I already started to find some websites with this format, and as I save the page in evernote, as expected, the image does not apear.

So I opened this post asking the suport for this already imerging image format.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WebP

http://havecamerawilltravel.com/photographer/webp-website/

• Like 1

Upvoted. Didn't know this bug went back so long in time already.

As a workaround when I really need the images, I go back and use Snagit to screen clip the image and paste it where it should.

Please add webp support as more and more websites are using webp. Unsupported webp results in a question mark/clipper icon in place of the image, often making the clipped article useless. I have to take screenshot instead of clipping sometimes to preserve the images. But that is very annoying. Please add the support. Shouldn't be a big technical challenge. Will improve user experience dramatically!

QQ20181123-084344@2x.png

You are correct that at present Evernote does not support webp format. At the moment I don't have an update on if this is planned to be added or when.

webp, please.

The images seem rendered as gif or jpg.

Isn't it possible to just capture the rendered version?

On 6/1/2015 at 1:59 PM, jbignert said:

You are correct that at present Evernote does not support webp format. At the moment I don't have an update on if this is planned to be added or when.

Microsoft OneNote supports clipping webpages with webp images.
It's probably time to move out.
Take care with your reluctance, Evernote.

Hi.  Since I'd never heard of this format before you posted it (although I see it's been around for 6 years...) I'd say this isn't exactly a priority.  All the sites I checked for image file formats mention the '5 main types' of JPEG, GIF, BMP, TIFF and PNG - which Evernote currently has covered.  There seem to be various ways to convert from those five to the more arcane formats like this one - why would it be a good idea to add Evernote as another?

The .webp image format was developed by Google in 2010.  I am noticing more and more websites are using this format due to its apprently better site-speed loading performance.

The problem is that when I clip a page to EN, using 'simplified article' or any other web clipper selection, the images are obviously not appearing and in their place is a standard icon/file name all wrapped inside a boxed border.

Anyone know if EN plans on adding the .webp format to their existing .jpg and ,png formats?

Attached is an example note i just clipped...cheers

ScreenCap_439 Sep. 08, 2017.jpg

Hi.  This was already dealt with in another thread.  Evernote don't currently cover this file type,  though they do include what seem to be amongst the top five image formats available.  Evernote also don't (usually) comment on individual feature requests,  though they do prioritise the most popular and the easiest to implement,  especially if supported by a large group of users.  Don't know how much work is involved for them in adding another format to display reliably in several different operating systems and dozens of devices,  but it would seem unlikely that they'll be able to add this option anytime soon,  even if they choose to do so.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gazumped said:

This was already dealt with in another thread.

There's more than one, actually, all of which I found using forum search for All content with the search 'webp'. There's a feature request here: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Can we get more up votes on this please?  This is single-handedly making Evernote useless for saving web pages, as all major sites seem to have moved to this (particularly Quora).  This is the main reason I use Evernote.

2 hours ago, time-capsule said:

Please add support!

Please go to the previously cited feature request(s) and add your vote.

I'm also voting for this for the web clipper to be useful!

Thank you. :) 

Maybe instead of strange functions like chat or scanning business cards - just add webp format support? What's the point of clipper of the page can't be viewed correctly in EN.

More sites are using Webp images which can not be clipped. Please include this into EN!

Voting this up! More and more sites are using webp images and clips are mostly useless when clipped with EN web clipper!

...or one of us could just move it, rather than creating a brand new identical post.

Note that .webp support had been requested previously..

Obviously I'm new here and don't have my sea legs under me yet.  I'm happy someone has already raised the issue about .webp files. I don't know how to move this topic to the right place. If someone can do it, or better still, show me how to do it, it would be much appreciated.

6 minutes ago, netpreneur said:

Obviously I'm new here and don't have my sea legs under me yet.  I'm happy someone has already raised the issue about .webp files. I don't know how to move this topic to the right place. If someone can do it, or better still, show me how to do it, it would be much appreciated.

Actually, I can just merge it to the existing topic, and you can then add your vote there (in addition to having your supporting posts as well).

Edit: merged

• Like 1