Firefox Web Clipper 6.0.26 beta

jbignert

Idea

Hi all,

Sorry for the inconvenience with some problems in the first version 6 and following beta version.

Here's a new beta of Web Clipper for Firefox 6.0.26 that should resolve most of the issues recently found.

Fixes:

- We now support Private browsing mode and history setting set to 'Never remember history'.

- Reduced CPU usage in found cases.

- Localization problems in Chinese & Japanese.

Get the build here:

https://www.evernote.com/l/AA0g97b6gKdL2rHbk-GdOytZ1YIkokm2H60

Please post feedback here and mention the issue, your FF version, OS version and URL if applicable when reporting problems.

23 replies to this idea

Hmm, my hurray was too early. After one session this old problem happens:

1. The icon dispappears from the menu, though it is still active (but not even shown under the tab-menu).

2. I'm logged out again.

Only de-activating and activating again brings the webclipper back in function! (after logging in)

Is there some other add-on interfering, like ghostery?

Hi, thanks for this but I still have the same problem. Initially when I installed the addon the little red dot on the toolbar icon showed that I had to sign in, and there was a tooltip. But when I clicked I got the usual dialogue to save the page without a form to sign in.  I'm on the latest versions of Windows 8 and Firefox. I'm still using the last beta version on my Windows 7 laptop + latest version of Firefox and that works without any problems.

So I still have as before a toolbar button that works fine, just no right-click menu. This is not a big problem for me.

Hi, the fix works perfectly on my Windows 7 laptop, latest Firefox. However still no difference on my desktop Windows 8 (latest version) and latest Version of Firefox.

So on the desktop it doesn't show the log in screen when I click on the toolbar button. Nothing in the right-click menu when I click on the page. The toolbar button still works when I click on it - i.e. I do get the choices of what to save, etc.

Hi all,

Sorry for the inconvenience with some problems in the first version 6 and following beta version.

Here's a new beta of Web Clipper for Firefox 6.0.26 that should resolve most of the issues recently found.

Fixes:

- We now support Private browsing mode and history setting set to 'Never remember history'.

- Reduced CPU usage in found cases.

- Localization problems in Chinese & Japanese.

Get the build here:

https://www.evernote.com/l/AA0g97b6gKdL2rHbk-GdOytZ1YIkokm2H60

Please post feedback here and mention the issue, your FF version, OS version and URL if applicable when reporting problems.

Would it be possible to tell how I can log in my China account in Mac with English? I cannot find out the place to input my China account.

Thanks a lot.

Qihang

I originally posted about my issues with Evernote Web Clipper for Firefox here in this related thread:

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/83176-6015-in-firefox-not-showing-up/

and in a later post gave details on my environment (OS: Windows 7 64 bit) including a list of my FF add-ons:

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/83176-6015-in-firefox-not-showing-up/?p=354249

So... I think I've got the new 6.0.26 beta EN web clipper working! 

Basically, I had to create a new, fresh profile in Firefox, and in that virgin profile, the first plugin I added was the 6.0.26 beta EN web clipper.  It worked fine.  However, I normally use a heavily customized version of FF (including, for example, the Classic Theme Restorer and Tab Mix Plus).  These plugins are why I am a devoted FF user.  So I added most of my plugins back in, testing the web clipper with each plugin installed.  (You can see my list of plugins at the link posted above -- I reinstalled all of them except for the already-problematic HTTPS Everywhere and the FEBE backup plugin, which has also been a little cludgy.)

The Web Clipper seems to be working fine (icon appears and so do context menu items), and it is indeed a much improved interface from earlier versions.  So far -- no problems.  I will come back and post updates if I do start encountering them.

Some observations --

1) I originally tried the opposite process of disabling (not removing) plugins one by one.  Removing the Classic Theme Restorer gave me back the Evernote icon, but not the context menu items.  Eventually I removed all add-ons but the EN Web Clipper, but I still didn't get the context menu items or full functionality. 

2) I kept my old Firefox profile and started a new virgin one.  If you don't know how to do this, there's some info here:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/profile-manager-create-and-remove-firefox-profiles

Doing that allowed me to log in under different profiles so I could reproduce my settings in the new profile. 

3) I installed the EN Web Clipper as the first add-on.  I have no idea whether that made any difference, but it worked.

4) I have been using Firefox since... well, since it was Netscape.    I have occasionally done a fresh install, but it's been several versions ago.  I suspect my about:config settings had all sorts of cruft in them that may have affected functioning with later Firefox updates.  Since I set up this new profile, the browser actually seems to be running a lot better -- faster and less buggy. 

A week or two ago, I had issues with the web clipper not showing up on my laptop. I installed the plug in directly from EN which solved the problem. Unfortunately, the web clipper icon disappeared again from Firefox on two different computers (laptop and desktop). Revoking access to the different devices from my EN account then reinstalling seemed to have fixed the issue on the desktop computer but not the laptop. It is SOOOOO frustrating that I have to spend so much time trying to fix the problem! I do a fair amount of clipping of articles/information for work and prefer FF over the other browsers. I will try Yars' solution of removing my FF profile and "starting over"....at the very least, perhaps FF will be faster??? Please FIX the web clipper!

I originally posted about my issues with Evernote Web Clipper for Firefox here in this related thread:

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/83176-6015-in-firefox-not-showing-up/

and in a later post gave details on my environment (OS: Windows 7 64 bit) including a list of my FF add-ons:

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/83176-6015-in-firefox-not-showing-up/?p=354249

So... I think I've got the new 6.0.26 beta EN web clipper working! 

Basically, I had to create a new, fresh profile in Firefox, and in that virgin profile, the first plugin I added was the 6.0.26 beta EN web clipper.  It worked fine.  However, I normally use a heavily customized version of FF (including, for example, the Classic Theme Restorer and Tab Mix Plus).  These plugins are why I am a devoted FF user.  So I added most of my plugins back in, testing the web clipper with each plugin installed.  (You can see my list of plugins at the link posted above -- I reinstalled all of them except for the already-problematic HTTPS Everywhere and the FEBE backup plugin, which has also been a little cludgy.)

The Web Clipper seems to be working fine (icon appears and so do context menu items), and it is indeed a much improved interface from earlier versions.  So far -- no problems.  I will come back and post updates if I do start encountering them.

Some observations --

1) I originally tried the opposite process of disabling (not removing) plugins one by one.  Removing the Classic Theme Restorer gave me back the Evernote icon, but not the context menu items.  Eventually I removed all add-ons but the EN Web Clipper, but I still didn't get the context menu items or full functionality. 

2) I kept my old Firefox profile and started a new virgin one.  If you don't know how to do this, there's some info here:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/profile-manager-create-and-remove-firefox-profiles

Doing that allowed me to log in under different profiles so I could reproduce my settings in the new profile. 

3) I installed the EN Web Clipper as the first add-on.  I have no idea whether that made any difference, but it worked.

4) I have been using Firefox since... well, since it was Netscape.    I have occasionally done a fresh install, but it's been several versions ago.  I suspect my about:config settings had all sorts of cruft in them that may have affected functioning with later Firefox updates.  Since I set up this new profile, the browser actually seems to be running a lot better -- faster and less buggy. 

WebClipper on Firefox/MacBook - the new block that comes up when you have clipped an article is very poor for readability with it's black background and white text.  Can we go back to a white background??

Firefox 38.0.5, Windows 7 - When choosing bookmark from the clipper it shows a nice little thumbnail snapshot of the site being bookmarked. However, once you confirm you want to save this clip what's stored as a note contains a broken image link rather than the thumbnail. If it matters, I've got it set to use my desktop app, not the web.

Also, under options you can't select a default folder for filing new notes.

Also, the clipper's toolbar icon is about 1/4 the size of the other icons. I think Evernote is important enough for a full size icon...

Well, looks like the high CPU usage and memmory problems have been fixed for me. Been using it enough to know that whatever you did its differnt than from the last version. Pretty much everything seems to be working now. At first it would not clip some pages at some random times, but as if over time got trained to know what I want and somehow the problems went away. I can't replicate it but either way right now I am happy wiht it, works as it should.

Still got the same problems so I've gone back to the official release. By not being able to sign in all I'm missing is the right-click menu – it's not how I like working but I can still use the toolbar button. I will focus on bigger things :)

Windows 8.1, latest Firefox 38.0.1, latest desktop EN.

That last comment is probably crucial. I checked in my addons and the version I've installed is 6.0.17 beta.

A small point – in the Windows instructions you mention a Finder window, this must be the Mac version of an Explorer window.

Archived