feature inquiry/request - dynamically update content

rossbar

Idea

Hey there, 

I love Evernote, and my life is better b/c this product exists.  I am wondering if it is possible to somehow transform the content of a note into a variable that can be used in other notes.  

Situation:  I have a bunch of content in Note 1 and I want to organize a subset of this content in Note 2.  (For example, picture the lyrics of numerous songs consecutively written in Note 1 and a musician wants to create a setlist in note 2 of some of the songs, wants to be able to view the lyrics to the subset on Note 2, but doesn't want duplicate content.  If the lyrics change, he only wants to change them in one place but have the changes appear in 2 places). 

Notebook A

- Note 1 (contains raw/original content)

song a

{song_a_lyrics}lyrics{/song_a_lyrics}

song b

{song_b_lyrics}lyrics{/song_b_lyrics}

song c

{song_c_lyrics}lyrics{/song_c_lyrics}

- Note 2

Somehow dynamically displays the lyrics to a subset of songs

See where I'm going with this? 

3 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

I doubt that this kind of function will ever be implemented within the individual notes.

The closest thing I can think of is if you use tags. Instead of putting several songs in Note 1, you put only one song in each note and tag those with "Note 1" (or a better fitting name) and tag the songs which you want to include in "Note 2" with a separate tag. And if you want the songs to show up in a certain order, just number the notes in the title.

• Level 5*

@rossbar:

I personally don't have a big need or use case for your requested enhancement, but I can see how it might be useful to many others.

One thing I have learned about Evernote is that it is very risky predict what features Evernote will, or will not, implement.
Evernote has continued to surprise many by the change in vision and features released over the last year or so.

So, regardless of prior Evernote statements, or the predictions of others, don't let that deter you from posting your requests.

I do have one question for you:  Is this possible today using HTML and/or Javascript?
  • Level 5*

Hey there, 

I love Evernote, and my life is better b/c this product exists.  I am wondering if it is possible to somehow transform the content of a note into a variable that can be used in other notes.  

Situation:  I have a bunch of content in Note 1 and I want to organize a subset of this content in Note 2.  (For example, picture the lyrics of numerous songs consecutively written in Note 1 and a musician wants to create a setlist in note 2 of some of the songs, wants to be able to view the lyrics to the subset on Note 2, but doesn't want duplicate content.  If the lyrics change, he only wants to change them in one place but have the changes appear in 2 places). 

Notebook A

- Note 1 (contains raw/original content)

song a

{song_a_lyrics}lyrics{/song_a_lyrics}

song b

{song_b_lyrics}lyrics{/song_b_lyrics}

song c

{song_c_lyrics}lyrics{/song_c_lyrics}

- Note 2

Somehow dynamically displays the lyrics to a subset of songs

See where I'm going with this? 

What you're suggesting is called 'Transclusion' in Wiki-land,  and it's one of the first things I requested when I started using Evernote.  It's an amazingly useful function for prices,  phone numbers,  addresses,  names - the sort of variables that pop up several times in different notes through a shared database / intranet.  At the moment your only option is to embed a link in each note so a reader can jump to another note containing the information s/he needs - and then hope they jump back to continue reading your content.  In an ideal world the information on (forinstance) how to contact support would be in a note somewhere,  which could be 'transcluded' into any note dealing with a fault.

When,  as happened recently,  Evernote added a Twitter option into faults reporting,  all that would be necessary in their knowledge base would be to add that extra information to the 'contact support' page.  It would then instantly be available to everyone who looked at a linked page as part of the faults process.

The same goes for the recent changes in product range and pricing - one central change and any page including details of the range or the pricing would be updated immediately.

It hasn't happened yet,  but you never know...

Archived