Evernote Windows Client Still Unbelievably Slow

BenjyDC

I've been using Evernote on and off for 5 years now.  The Windows client keeps getting more and more useless features, but basic performance remains terrible.   

These days, I have a beast of a machine compared to 5 years ago. The performance is no different. It is not uncommon for simple tasks to lag for 30 seconds or more. Want to create a new note? Be prepared to wait 30 seconds. Want to create a stack of notebooks?  Wait 1 minute.  

Folks, you have my faith in the integrity of the data you store. But my god.  FIVE YEARS is not enough time to make a windows client that works nearly instantly?   

I always end up trying to use the software for note taking, but it's just too slow.  It's faster for me to write something down on a pen and paper, and now that I've moved to Microsoft Surface, I've found One Note to be infinitely better for actual note taking.  

If Evernote is just going to be a place to store old documents, why keep adding all these useless features?  Why not just perfect the core functionality? 

It's mind boggling.

I have not tried to use the Windows 8 Metro version, so I will give that a go sometime.  But man, very frustrating.   

• Level 5*

@BenjyDC:

Sorry to hear you're having such performance issues with EN Win over the last 5 years.
It may be due, at least in part, to your environment, how you use EN, how large your Notes are, etc.
Other users have reported acceptable performance, although there is an interesting discussion about scalability going on in this thread.

If you don't mind, it would be helpful to know more about your situation:
  1. What Ver of Evernote are you using?
  2. What Ver of Windows are you using?
  3. What is the size of your main hardware components (Processor, RAM)?
  4. Where to you see the performance issue most, searching, data entry, other?
  5. Many users have complained about the Search using incremental search as you type.  Is this the main problem?
  6. How many Notes do you have?
  7. Do you have any very large Notes, like >> 50MB?
  8. What is the total size of your Evernote Database?
  • Level 5*

I don't know if there are any risks involved, but pressing Ctrl on the keyboard and chosing Optimize database in the Helps menu, have sped up my Evernote plenty on all my machines which has been lagging. My database takes a couple of hours though and I have to do it once in a while as well as my database expands.

Archived