Distraction free mode for Mac

emmgee

Idea

I saw the announcement of "Alternote" and was really happy to see it.  I've been sending in occasional feature requests for years.  I think it's OK but not as good as what Evernote could do if they just tried!

Here's what I'd like to be able to do:  Open a new note without opening Evernote's main window.  That's all.  A nice, reasonable-sized note, ready for typing.  You can press control-option-cmd-n and you get both a new note AND the main window.  If you go to the menu bar and click the elephant, you get a teeny-tiny note window.

How about this:  Press control-option-cmd-n and you get a note window but NOT the main Evernote window.  If later you want the main window, click on the Dock icon or have a little icon in the note window.

I would say 75% of the time or more I would like to just write a note.  I don't need to look up anything, just write.

Thanks for listening,

Mike

5 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

How about this:  Press control-option-cmd-n and you get a note window but NOT the main Evernote window.  If later you want the main window, click on the Dock icon or have a little icon in the note window.

I would say 75% of the time or more I would like to just write a note.  I don't need to look up anything, just write.

Mike, I like your idea -- just open a new Note window without the main EN window.

Until Evernote gives us this useful feature, here's a work-around:

1. Press the shortcut for a new Note in a new window
  2. Press CMD-` to put the EN main window in focus
  3. Press CMD-M to minimize the EN main window, and return focus to the new Note Window.

I just tested this on EN Mac 6.0.11 running Mavericks (10.9.5), and it worked.

If you expect to do this a lot, you could easily create a Keyboard Maestro  macro to do just that.

Archived