Automated Task List

Hey Community!

Does anyone know if there is a way, or a workaround, to have task lists automatically created?

Ideally, I'd like that every time I create a checkbox in a note, that line gets added a master checkbox task list, so that i can better keep track of all my to-dos across multiple notes and projects.

Any ideas would great! Thank you!

Chuck

I am using the Mac Client. Thanks for the response! Although I'm not sure I quite understand. I want it so that if I'm, for example, taking notes in a meeting and something comes up that is a task I need to, and I add a checkbox on that line, that Evernote will see that I typed a checkbox and automatically add that line to another Note where all the tasks. 

So anytime I type a checkbox in any note, it automatically also populates on a master task list.

Thanks!

When you create a checklist on the mac or windows clients, subsequent lines automatically get a checkbox. This may not be the case on mobile clients. Can you tell us which clients you'll be mainly using?

• Level 5*

At this point in time it is a manual effort to consolidate all check box items into one note. 

There are searches to find all notes with check boxes in them, be they open or closed, but no automation to consolidate the individual lines in single note.

I am using the Mac Client. Thanks for the response! Although I'm not sure I quite understand. I want it so that if I'm, for example, taking notes in a meeting and something comes up that is a task I need to, and I add a checkbox on that line, that Evernote will see that I typed a checkbox and automatically add that line to another Note where all the tasks. 

So anytime I type a checkbox in any note, it automatically also populates on a master task list.

Thanks!

When you create a checklist on the mac or windows clients, subsequent lines automatically get a checkbox. This may not be the case on mobile clients. Can you tell us which clients you'll be mainly using?

Ah, I understand now. Indeed my advice isn't terribly helpful! 

As csihilling points out, your need is not currently addressed by Evernote (And I can't ever see it being addressed, despite it being a very legitimate request!). 

• Level 5

When taking notes in a meeting and something comes up; that is a task I need to do, I add a checkbox on that line.

(Ctrl + Shift + C).

To see that in a Master List, I run an appropriate search. My most useful one is:

• To show all unfinished notes containing checkboxes that are not checked: todo:false

Other versions are:

• To show all completed notes containing checkboxes that are checked: todo:true
  • To show all notes containing checkboxes that are either checked or not checked: todo:*

If needed, I add additional search terms to narrow the results to the notes I need.

When taking notes in a meeting and something comes up; that is a task I need to do, I add a checkbox on that line.

(Ctrl + Shift + C).

To see that in a Master List, I run an appropriate search. My most useful one is:

• To show all unfinished notes containing checkboxes that are not checked: todo:false

Other versions are:

• To show all completed notes containing checkboxes that are checked: todo:true
  • To show all notes containing checkboxes that are either checked or not checked: todo:*

If needed, I add additional search terms to narrow the results to the notes I need.

This is very helpful!! Thanks--Now i can just search for todo:false and manually add those to a master task list.

Thank you all for the quick feedback!

Also, there's the Swipes app for iOS, Android and Web, which can consolidate all your checkbox items on one interface (within the Swipes app).

Another interesting app that will do exactly as you've requested in the OP and create a master list of checkboxed items (in Evernote itself) is called TaskClone. This is the most basic of features, which remains part of the free plan. They can extract your checkboxed items to apps like Trello, etc... but only for a trial period.

Anyways... what you do is connect TaskClone to your Evernote account... tag any notes you want to include in the master list with "taskclone"... and voilà, the unchecked tasks will be included in the master note, together with an embedded link in the note title of the original note next to each item. Tried and tested. 

You can follow the advice in the above posts to locate your unchecked to-do's.

ChuckFeerick -

Here's an approach.

When you go into a meeting, in addition to opening / creating a new Note for the meeting, also open your Note where you keep all your tasks. As the meeting progresses, switch back and forth between the 2 open Notes as needed.

It took me a couple minutes to get 2 Evernote Notes open side by side on my MacBook Pro, but once I had them, it was a simple matter to switch from one to the other.

Would that work for you?

I am not aware of any way that the iOS version of EN will put 2 open Notes side by side. However, in the Snippet view on by iPad, I got 2 Notes to appear at the top of the Snippet list and it was simple and fast to switch from one to the other. 

• Level 5*

Adding to @analyst444 workaround

1. On the iPad if you have Options - Customize Home Screen -  Show Details - Notes set to on the last five notes accessed appear on the home screen (last three on the iPhone).  Might be slightly easier than Snippet view. 
  2. Depending on its worth to you, if you are on your desktop you could add a link from the source note to your checkbox item enabling getting back to it quickly. 

FWIW.

Also, there's the Swipes app for iOS, Android and Web, which can consolidate all your checkbox items on one interface (within the Swipes app).

Another interesting app that will do exactly as you've requested in the OP and create a master list of checkboxed items (in Evernote itself) is called TaskClone. This is the most basic of features, which remains part of the free plan. They can extract your checkboxed items to apps like Trello, etc... but only for a trial period.

Anyways... what you do is connect TaskClone to your Evernote account... tag any notes you want to include in the master list with "taskclone"... and voilà, the unchecked tasks will be included in the master note, together with an embedded link in the note title of the original note next to each item. Tried and tested. 

You can follow the advice in the above posts to locate your unchecked to-do's.

TaskClone is great!! I recommend everyone thinking about this problem to check it out. It's exactly what I needed.

Archived