Feature Request: App that sends note as random Card

Call it "Jogg" or something like that. All it would do is randomly send highlighted text snippets as a Card format as a pop-up. Sometimes we wanted to be reminded of something we thought was interesting in the past, that have since forgotten about.

"Context" may be what you're after. It's an Evernote premium feature. It will surface related web articles and notes from within your own account - both when you are writing and when you are browsing - in the form of a popup. If you have Premium, this feature hits the ground running. For those who are not interested, they can go ahead and deactivate it.

Further than that, the Evernote web clipper gives one related results from within your account when clipping from the web... then there's the Evernote Clearly extension which does a similar thing, including related notes at the bottom of the web article you may be reading and/ or highlighting.

To top it off you can activate Google related results. This web clipper utility shows your related Evernote content alongside Google search results. 

I think a combination of any of the above will give you something similar to what you have in mind. 

• Level 5*

I'm not sure whether there was a previous request for this,  or if I saw an app that would actually do this in Evernote - just pop up a random note from the database from time to time in the hope that serendipity would apply and the contents might be relevant to something you were doing now.  In my case I worked out that with around 10,000 notes and (say) one random pop-up per hour,  there's a (roughly) .002% chance that I'd get some sort of useful hit in 6 months.  There would also be 10,000+ extra keystrokes in getting rid of irrelevant notes.

There's also a near 100% chance that some picture of an old friend will start a new conversation that takes up several hours (some involving cold beverages) over the same period.

Guess it's a possible interest for some folks,  but not feasible for me.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure whether there was a previous request for this,  or if I saw an app that would actually do this in Evernote - just pop up a random note from the database from time to time in the hope that serendipity would apply and the contents might be relevant to something you were doing now.  In my case I worked out that with around 10,000 notes and (say) one random pop-up per hour,  there's a (roughly) .002% chance that I'd get some sort of useful hit in 6 months.  There would also be 10,000+ extra keystrokes in getting rid of irrelevant notes.

There's also a near 100% chance that some picture of an old friend will start a new conversation that takes up several hours (some involving cold beverages) over the same period.

Guess it's a possible interest for some folks,  but not feasible for me.

We can be reminded so often that it makes us forget. I can certainly understand that. But don't we highlight and create margin notes for that purpose?

Here's a quick mockup on how it could work on only highlights. It would send a random card with links back to the note and original URL.
  • 6 months later...

What I was thinking of is related specifically to text that has been highlighted. If you had a quote you liked and wanted to be reminded of it, you'd highlight the text, right-click it and "send to" (The App). When you'd open Evernote, you'd get one of these highlights in a pop-up (like a Reminder).

Archived