every time I send something to Evernote, it gets duplicated

this happens when I send from penultimate, from safari, pretty much any other app--it creates two of whatever I send. I'd prefer not to have to follow myself around deleting extras... any thoughts as to why this might be occurring? I am using an iPad Air 2 with most recent iOS.

• Level 5*

Provided you have no unsynced notes,  uninstalling and reinstalling is just rearranging icons on your desktop.  It does ensure that you have no errors or omissions in the setup.

• Level 5*

that seems drastic. uninstall the Evernote app entirely?

Unfortunately, with Evernote iOS app, it seems that all to often the user needs to delete the Evernote iOS app, and reinstall.

Of course, it's best if you can do this while using wi-fi to access the Internet.

So here's the new normal process

1. Do a manual sync in Evernote to ensure that all of your Notes have been uploaded to the EN Cloud.
  2. Delete the Evernote iOS app
  3. Restart your iOS device
  4. Reinstall the Evernote app from the Apple store.

Generally, this should go quickly if you are using wi-fi.

• Level 5*

...and that won't mess with my premium settings? or will I have to go back in and re-set folders to work offline, etc.?

thank you kindly.

Good Questions!  Sorry to say, but yes, you will have to setup Evernote iOS like a new install, except that your account will already exist.

So be sure to sign in with the same UserName/Email that you are currently using.

And yes, you will have to setup all of the custom settings, including Offline Notebooks.

I know all of this is a PITA.  That's the reason I don't suggest reinstall until all other potential fixes have been tried.

Speaking of which, have you tired force quitting Evernote, restart your iOS device, and then starting Evernote?

This very process fixed a syncing issue I had earlier in the day.

• 2 weeks later...

I am on an iPad with the Evernote application open. I am reading an article on the web, and saving individual pages to a specific notebook in Evernote. Every note I save is duplicated.

Should I open a new post here, or submit a help request?

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Thanks for reporting this. We are looking into this and hope to have it resolved soon.

In the meantime, please continue to keep your iOS app updated. I'll post here when we believe this issue is resolved.

Same problem here. Since early June every note made on iPhone or iPad results in 2 identical notes.

Something changed between 6/7/15 and 6/9/15. Notes created from iOS on 6/715 were not duplicated, but notes made on 6/9/15 and later have all been duplicated.

• 2 weeks later...

Having the same issue still on iOS 8.3 using Chrome. I understand the nature of multiplatform software development, but at the rate that I capture items daily, it's making for a tedious cleanup.

Can someone send out a progress update to the group? Maybe you can enlist the will posters to assess environmental variables, or even offer to try something radical? Perhaps there is someone jailbroken that could tweak plists, delete cache/preference files, or just generally fiddle about in the name of beta testing...

Thanks for a great tool. If it wasn't as useful as it is, no one would notice that it was broken.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

Thanks for reporting this. We are looking into this and hope to have it resolved soon.

In the meantime, please continue to keep your iOS app updated. I'll post here when we believe this issue is resolved.

FYI: As of today, I am still getting two.  I noticed since this issue was mentioned there has been two updates, Versions 7.7.8 and 7.7.9 neither has fixed the issue.  Thanks

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We have made some progress with this but it sounds like some of you may still be experiencing an issue. If so, please submit a support ticket and include the following:

1. Confirm that you have a strong connection when this occurs
  2. Check the number of paused apps that you have open in the background and confirm whether closing the apps makes a difference
  3. Identify where you are sharing from when this happens (web page, camera roll, 3rd party app, etc.)
  4. Include the exported copies of a duplicated note (steps below)
To export one or more notes, follow these steps in your desktop application:
  • Select one or more notes.
  • Right-click and then select the "Export Notes…”.
  • Choose the file name, target directory and which format you'd like for your archive: .enex (XML) 
It's not possible to include more than one file in your original ticket submission, but you should be able to reply to the email confirmation you receive and attach the .enex files there.

Please post your ticket number here and we will expedite your case.

• 2 months later...

I am on Ubuntu, using Nixnnote 2 as a client for Evernote. I have the same behaviour. Sometimes, when I save something, it gets duplicated. The duplicate has no content, just note's title and tags.

It ALWAYS happens when I am on chrome in my (Zimbra) E-Mail client and open a JIRA link in new tab, that I save later as a simple note. Duplicate each and every time.

My guess is, the problem lies in web clipper or it's API communication with the server.

I've given up worrying about this issue as an Evernote unsolvable. I just expect to delete doubles on my afternoon housekeeping.

I always get doubles with IOS (latest 9.2 but has been going on for years). Webclipper. Since web clipper IOS is so underpowered anyway, I have to dedicate time to cleaning up the day's haul: adding multiple tags, changing notebooks, adding a meaningful title, adding a note...you know the things we've been able to do in OSX for a long time.

Of course, sending PDFs to webclipper > Evernote usually doesn't work from a browser (except for tiny ones) although I can email them in.

Most often I'm in Chrome or Safari.

At 7k notes, I'm a Captive audience. Frankly, I can get material in, the real challenge is and always has been organizing it & getting it out of EN in a usable form for articles, writing papers, research, etc. & storytelling & storyboarding. It just comes out one card at a time.

I keep hoping a 3rd party will mine the backend SDK, but I'm beginning To realize that EN has underengineered organizing & output.

Thanks for your comments. The best way we can ensure this issue is addressed is to submit a support ticket with the requested information and be sure to post your ticket number here. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This is the reply I got from customer support.

Please allow me to elaborate on the Duplicate Notes that you are observing as the function that is creating them is by design.

Whenever you clip/share content to Evernote, it sends a message from that App to Evernote telling Evernote to create a Note on your behalf that contains all of the data from the source of where you clipped/shared content.

During this process, if there is a connectivity problem, or any sort of extraneous issue that affects this data transfer, the clipper/share function will repeatedly send the message to Evernote to ensure that the Note is created.

If something interrupts the clipping/sharing of content from an App to Evernote, this 'failsafe' function will cause the creation of duplicate Notes.

There are a number of factors that could be causing this interruption, but here are some general examples:

• Poor internet connectivity
  • If you are running multiple Apps in the background that require/use web access
  • If your internet connection implements certain types of security protocols
  • If you have certain security Apps installed/running on your iOS Device

The reason we implement this failsafe is that we believe that it is better to have a duplicate of a Note rather than risk the chance of the Note being lost.

• Level 5*

Evernote Support said:

Please allow me to elaborate on the Duplicate Notes that you are observing as the function that is creating them is by design.

The reason we implement this failsafe is that we believe that it is better to have a duplicate of a Note rather than risk the chance of the Note being lost.

@Evernote:  This is such poor, immature design that only a new programmer would use.  Clearly, you should test for duplicate notes BEFORE you enter them into the user's Evernote database.  There are many ways of doing this . . .

• 6 months later...

We are no longer receiving reports of this issue and believe this has been fixed. If you previously posted to this thread and continue to see this issue, please post here. If you are experiencing this issue on Version 7.15 or later, please open a new thread. 

• 1 year later...
  • Level 5*
13 hours ago, trenchantly said:

Same problem and it's driving me nuts. Makes using the share sheet pointless in iOS.

So it's not fixed.

There have been no reports for more than a year.  It looks like it was fixed...

• 2 weeks later...

Still seeing this also, and more frequently - every time now. Sept 2017

I have resorted to deleting the iOS app and reinstalled it. But now the problem is that the syncing just stops after a partial download of my notes into the iOS app. Nothing will finish the sync (restarting the app, the phone, the network connection etc.) Basically my Evernote iOS has become useless. :(

"Duplication by design" must have been implemented by a nonprogrammer, which unfortunately Evernote seems to be maintained by more and more. I love this app, I use it every day. I would gladly pay more per month if it kept the company afloat and good programmers employed. But messing with my data by duplicating it or not being able to access it is not a good way to retain loyal long term users (10 years, 20K + notes)

• 5 months later...

Notes created on ios using the share feature in other apps end up duplicated on my MacOS evernote, but not duplicated in the iPad app. The issue seems to be that a note is synced to the server when created in the share action, and then synced again when the ios evernote app is opened, so that the server gets two duplicates of the same note but doesn't recognize them as duplicates.

Well, it's 2018 and I just discovered this issue... I'm using the sharing extension in Photos.app on a Macbook Pro running macOS 10.12.6 and Evernote  7.0.3.

To be fair, I haven't used the sharing extension in years - so I don't know if the duplication problem has been there before on my machine - but I'm seeing the following behaviour:
I choose a picture from the Photos.app library and send it to Evernote. Immediately the app creates TWO notes - one of them has the image attached and the other one does not, instead it says �EN_ATTACHMENT� where the image should be. The note title and the body text are identical, the only difference between the two notes it the missing image (it's always the note that's created last that has no image). Of course it doesn't matter that one of the notes doesn't contain the image, that's not the point - the point is that I don't need two notes in the first place... I'm just mentioning the missing-image-thing in case it helps to narrow down what's going on here.

Any and all help would be very much appreciated because it is a little annoying that I have to go in and delete the duplicate EVERY TIME I send a photo to Evernote. Kind of defeats the purpose of the extension-idea when I have to manually interact with the Evernote app after every single share... Thanks & cheers.

• Level 5*

Hi.  I'm not  a Mac user,  so someone else will hopefully be by with more suggestions soon,  but do you have any other options for sharing with Evernote?  Dragging the image to a note should work,  even if direct sharing doesn't.  There are also ways to link Evernote to an 'import folder' on a Mac so that any file dropped into that folder is added as a note if this is a regular operation.  Can't comment on what may have gone wrong with the original process - best suggestion is to raise it on https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action if you're a subscriber,  Twitter - https://twitter.com/evernotehelps if not.

Hi gazumped, thanks for the reply! 

Your suggestion about the import folder made me think - I have a bunch of Apple Scripts to import stuff into Evernote and I just checked to confirm that Photos.app is scriptable, so I will try to modify one of my scripts to get the job done. The reason I have to avoid any dragging operations is that I am using Photos.app in full screen mode (which is great on the smaller MacBook Pro screen). It's just super convenient being able to stay within the full screen app and send stuff over to the Evernote app.... and yeah, I will be doing this A LOT in the coming weeks because I have to "clean up" the last 3 ½ years of my photo library ;) 

I'm a subscriber so I will definitely follow your suggestion and raise the issue over at https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action.

Thanks again for the help and the links! Cheers

Recently, when I take a screenshot and use the share option and I pick Evernote, I see duplicates of the image. This might be an iOS issue but I get two images in Evernote after this share. Is anybody else having the same problem?

image.thumb.png.d1cd460f5c38a66edadf80d9133b8961.png

• 7 months later...
On 3/24/2018 at 8:49 PM, shadylane said:

Well, it's 2018 and I just discovered this issue... I'm using the sharing extension in Photos.app on a Macbook Pro running macOS 10.12.6 and Evernote  7.0.3.

To be fair, I haven't used the sharing extension in years - so I don't know if the duplication problem has been there before on my machine - but I'm seeing the following behaviour:
I choose a picture from the Photos.app library and send it to Evernote. Immediately the app creates TWO notes - one of them has the image attached and the other one does not, instead it says �EN_ATTACHMENT� where the image should be. The note title and the body text are identical, the only difference between the two notes it the missing image (it's always the note that's created last that has no image). Of course it doesn't matter that one of the notes doesn't contain the image, that's not the point - the point is that I don't need two notes in the first place... I'm just mentioning the missing-image-thing in case it helps to narrow down what's going on here.

Any and all help would be very much appreciated because it is a little annoying that I have to go in and delete the duplicate EVERY TIME I send a photo to Evernote. Kind of defeats the purpose of the extension-idea when I have to manually interact with the Evernote app after every single share... Thanks & cheers.

I have this same issue regardless of whether I share through iOS or MacOS share sheet but for me, it happens with PDFs. Evernote team, please fix this!

• 2 weeks later...

Mac user here. The duplicate note problem started for me in the last couple of months. I'm using the web clipper in Chrome and getting two and sometimes three copies of the same note. It's incredibly aggravating.

Archived