Android trouble not showing my word file

Hello,

I am using Evernote in 3 envitonments with the synchronisation:

1) Computer (Windows 8.1) : where usually I  create and update the files, without any trouble

2) Ios, iPad without any trouble

3) Android (LG G3, with the standard android)  and here I got trouble: trying to access a Word file (created in above §1)

-Evernote is asking to know if such file is in update or read mode

-Android Office is starting

-But then my word file is not open but a list of files from where I drag/drop this file from §1) is appearing

-unfortunately not the one I am trying to access.

The same trouble is appearing with an access file.

What is such problem and is there a way to correct? 

Thank yous

• Level 5*

Hi.  I'm not exactly sure what's happening with your file,  but there are several things you need to bear in mind:

• Neither Android nor Evernote can open a Word document for editing - you need to have additional software on your phone to handle the process,  hence presumably Android Office starting up.
  • Android does not store files on your mobile device - there's too little space on many devices to hold much information.  Files are downloaded over wifi or data connections.
  • Once file is downloaded you need to get it into Android Office somehow - which may explain the list of files opening up.
  • When you have edited the Word file it won;t be possible to save it back directly into the original note.  It has become a new separate file.  You'd need to attach or send it to the note in addition to the existing file - so a new file name showing a version or date would be required.

If you persevere with the process,  you should be able to edit your file,  but given the differences in operating system and storage it will never be as easy as it tends to be on a desktop device.

Hi,

not very happy about this answer:

• Neither Android nor Evernote can open a Word document for editing - you need to have additional software on your phone to handle the process,  hence presumably Android Office starting up.
    • I do not want Evernote editing my file: Android Office is doing it.
  • Android does not store files on your mobile device - there's too little space on many devices to hold much information.  Files are downloaded over wifi or data connections.
    • OK for non editing: Evernote is proposing "read" or "update". Even in "read" Evernote is not reading it!
  • Once file is downloaded you need to get it into Android Office somehow - which may explain the list of files opening up.
    • But I am in Android Office, proposed by Evernote!!!
  • When you have edited the Word file it won;t be possible to save it back directly into the original note.  It has become a new separate file.  You'd need to attach or send it to the note in addition to the existing file - so a new file name showing a version or date would be required.
    • OK, as I told you even in "read" mode it doesnot show the file

I consider you should correct and say that you cannot manage Office files or at least show file in read without updating possibility.

What is sure is that showing files which have nothing to see there is a very important bug! You do not have any reason to show them.

regards

• Level 5*

Hi.  You appreciate this isn't a direct link to Evernote,  right?  This is a user forum,  and I'm just another Evernote user trying to help others find a solution to their problem.  Plus I never know how technical to make an answer,  since users can vary wildly in their knowledge and experience.

So.  As we both clearly know,  Evernote doesn't edit Office files.  It opens Android Office to edit a file*,  which then works the way Android Office does,  which is to open a folder containing other files to allow you to choose the one to work on. The issue you have seems to be between Evernote and Android Office - I don't know whether it would be possible to open a single file directly,  and I don't know whether Android Office is getting the right information from Evernote to identify the correct file.

Developers do read these posts,  so if there are improvements to be made here,  I'm sure they'll look into it.  Meantime you may have to search around a little to find the file you want to edit.

A routine fix for mobile device issues is to uninstall and reinstall the app - it may improve things.  If not,  and you're a premium user you could raise a support request;  free users can still raise a bug report - choose "report a bug..." in the first dropdown after logging in here> https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action

Premium / Business users also have access to a Chat option (7am-7pm PST weekdays) - click 'continue' on the support page after logging in.

*Edit:  or whatever app you have set as the default PDF file handler on your device.

OK and thank you.

But this is not good at all:

I understand Evernote doesn't edit Office files.  It opens Android Office to edit a file, but I would at least to see my file!!! Which is not the case.

As far as uninstall/install is concerned... this is the second time that this is  recommended to me : do you imagine the work to do?

Thanks for all, Evernote is not supported under Android.

Archived