Please support iOS-OSX Handoff!

tedsvo

Idea

It's been almost a year since Apple introduced Handoff to quickly switch devices and view the same item. Evernote is perfectly suited for this feature since it links to notes via URLs; in fact, I've set up a workaround in which I copy links and AirDrop them between devices, but why not simply support Handoff? It would greatly enhance my experience of Evernote and that of many of Evernote's customers, in my opinion.

I understand that the staff at Evernote have to make tradeoffs in what they add and support, but my sense is that the implementation is fairly straightforward at this point, unless there's something obvious that I'm forgetting.

Hope this is a possibility!

9 replies to this idea

I agree by and large.  The only issue holding this back may be the speed of sync.  To handoff successfully requires that both devices have rapid access to the same information.  Having said that Apple manages it with iWork apps and the speed of their sync is appalling!

• Level 5*

As a method for getting information into or out of Evernote, AirDrop is supported, which is kind of surprising (Bluetooth and iTunes transfers are not, as far as i know). But, AirDrop is a method of moving a file from one device to another.

Handoff keeps two devices in sync without the use of Evernote's servers. That seems anti-thetical to Evernote's business model. I very much doubt we will see this, and I imagine it would be a nightmare to get right. 

As a method for getting information into or out of Evernote, AirDrop is supported, which is kind of surprising (Bluetooth and iTunes transfers are not, as far as i know). But, AirDrop is a method of moving a file from one device to another.

Handoff keeps two devices in sync without the use of Evernote's servers. That seems anti-thetical to Evernote's business model. I very much doubt we will see this, and I imagine it would be a nightmare to get right. 

I didn't know that about Handoff.  Based on observing how Handoff works (or fails*) with iWork documents I thought that when and Handoff was initiated it then initiated an upward sync on the current device and a downward sync on the device you are "handing off" too.  The newly updated document would then open at the place you left off.

* Handoffs with iWork documents can take a long time especially with larger files.  The device I Handoff to often appears to be downloading from iCloud.

Whilst AirDrop is a method of directly sending files from device to device the implementation on Evernote does not do this.  Evernote AirDrops a public/private link to the note, which opens in the browser.  Pity, I'd really like to be able to AirDrop the .enex file.  Super useful when I'm off the grid!

• Level 5*

I didn't know that about Handoff.  Based on observing how Handoff works (or fails*) with iWork documents I thought that when and Handoff was initiated it then initiated an upward sync on the current device and a downward sync on the device you are "handing off" too.  The newly updated document would then open at the place you left off.

* Handoffs with iWork documents can take a long time especially with larger files.  The device I Handoff to often appears to be downloading from iCloud.

Whilst AirDrop is a method of directly sending files from device to device the implementation on Evernote does not do this.  Evernote AirDrops a public/private link to the note, which opens in the browser.  Pity, I'd really like to be able to AirDrop the .enex file.  Super useful when I'm off the grid!

Good point about AirDrop. I was talking about AirDrop from OSX to iOS, which works fine transferring the file. I haven't tried to go from iOS to OSX, and it doesn't seem like there is much point, is there!

Exactly right about dealing with Evernote when off the grid. There are a couple other personal information management apps that will allow you to sync without going through the cloud, and I am quite fond of one (DEVONthink), but as much as I'd like to see such a capability in Evernote (similar to the Handoff thing), I doubt very much that it will happen.

The truth is that Evernote is a cloud service, and that's where its strength lies. Not-so-cloudy folks like me (mainly for security reasons, but secondarily because of Internet access issues) aren't able to take full advantage of the powerful features Evernote offers. 

Good point about AirDrop. I was talking about AirDrop from OSX to iOS, which works fine transferring the file. I haven't tried to go from iOS to OSX, and it doesn't seem like there is much point, is there!

Exactly right about dealing with Evernote when off the grid. There are a couple other personal information management apps that will allow you to sync without going through the cloud, and I am quite fond of one (DEVONthink), but as much as I'd like to see such a capability in Evernote (similar to the Handoff thing), I doubt very much that it will happen.

The truth is that Evernote is a cloud service, and that's where its strength lies. Not-so-cloudy folks like me (mainly for security reasons, but secondarily because of Internet access issues) aren't able to take full advantage of the powerful features Evernote offers. 

Yes.  I also can't see Evernote introducing a non-cloud based sync/transfer method, especially now that Work Chat is here.  Real Pity.

I'm fairly sure that Handoff can work without any additional sync mechanisms etc. It would work exactly like Evernote works when you click a link to a private note: the application launches, it triggers a sync and looks for the note, and if it can't find it then it says it couldn't find it. All Handoff would do is advertise the URL of the note to your neighboring devices so that you could trigger this process from swiping up on the lock screen rather than texting the private note link to yourself.

Again I'm not completely sure this is the case, but my experience using Handoff with lots of different apps suggests that this is all that's needed.

Archived