tacobravo

Feature Request: Hide or archive notes

Idea

I have thousands of notes in Evernote, mostly about completed consulting projects. I don't want to delete them, but they also clutter up, to a significant degree, my ability to search and sort on the current, relevant stuff--specially because many of the topics and keywords overlap among clients. How do I "archive" or "hide" the old stuff, without deleting it, so that my current notes are easier to manage? I am very familiar with the concept of Notebooks, but what I really need is an entirely new database. I don't want to create a second account. Surely this issue has come up before. 

7 people like this

86 replies to this idea

Hi.  It has come up a few times - a quick search here for "archive notebook" turns up around 800 hits.  There are various alternatives,  including an Archive Stack and a second account with notebooks shared between the two.  Your preference may depend on how often you'll need to archive material,  and whether you'll need to search it again at a later date.  Have a look at some of the options - a web search for "Evernote archive notes" gets 800 thousand hits.

1 person likes this

Some other ideas:

I don't believe Evernote ever empties your trash automatically -- my trash currently has 1,500 notes in it -- but so long as you put notes in the trash they are excluded from searching (and can easily be restored, if need be).

You can also merge multiple notes into one.  I do a lot of keynote addresses about futurism, and after each speech is finally given, I merge all the notes related to it -- correspondence, the actual speech, invoice, etc. -- into one note, to cut down on the number of separate notes found by a search.  (Use Ctrl-Left-Mouse-Click to select multiple notes for merging.)

You can also tag all your older data with the tag "Archive," and then do future searches to specifically exclude any note with that tag; this will find only unarchived notes that mention "orangutan":

-TAG:Archive orangutan

2 people like this

Putting archived notes (ones you will need in the future) into the trash is risky.

When there is a problem with sync'ing, data cap, or data integrity, Evernote Support often asks that the trash be emptied.

In my opinion, the best suggestion and most useful is to use the -tag:archive function.

3 people like this

These are all good suggestions and useful workarounds, but what is apparent is that this capability is not built into Evernote which is shocking. This seems like a very elementary requirement--even just a special tag that makes notes hidden would be sufficient. 

Evernote folks:  Please talk to your users. I suspect this is a high priority need. 

5 people like this

We never know what priority Evernote assign to a missing (or broken) feature - they're usually (I know of exactly one exception) completely close-mouthed about when or even if something will be added.  You may find something added to the next update - or not.  The company obviously do set priorities,  but the popularity of an issue here isn't necessarily a guide.  There also seems to be an underlying policy of keeping to a clean 'adaptable to anything' lego-brick stance - no features that are so specific that only a narrow subset of users would find them useful,  to avoid cluttering up the interface(s).

+1.  Would love to be notified if this feature becomes available or a better workaround thought up.  

1 person likes this

definitely need archive function if you use evernote long enough with many excellent but not-currently-useful notes

1 person likes this

It's pretty easy to exclude notes from searches - see above.  I wouldn't imagine it's a high priority feature development.  There are a few other things to fix first,  anyway...

1 person likes this

For notes that I want to archive, I put them in a folder and export the entire folder to Export as Multiple Web Pages (.html). The web pages look great and they have an index.html file. You can use the search function in Windows or OSX to search for text in these files. 

1 person likes this

I put notes that I want to archive in a special folder and additionally provide a tag (Archive). When I want to search for notes excluding the archived ones I use "-tag:Archive" in the search. It is not optimal but it works.

A special Evernote feature would be great.

3 people like this

+1. I would really love an archive option.

An archive option that would clone the path of the notes.

If a note is inside of a notebook or sub-notebook, those would be created inside the archive folder together with all the notes archived in that path.

This would really make sense in Evernote.

As probably thousands of Evernote users, I have a separate notebook for each project (matching the corresponding project in Todoist). Once I finish a project, I can easily archive it in Todoist but in Evernote, there is nothing convenient. I can move the notebook in an "Archive" stack but that won't exclude the notes from searches and break my stack organization. I can go through all notes in the "Archive" stack and add the "archive" tag but this is error prone - imagine I miss one or I ever need a note from there and move it to an active project notebook, I still won't be able to find it because it will still have the "archive" tag on it.

A dedicated "Archived" checkbox on each notebook would be the solution to all our problems. Folks could then either create a dedicated "Archive" notebook, mark it as "Archived" and move all single notes they want to archive there, or, like me, archive whole notebooks once the corresponding project is done without moving them out of the stacks where they belong. Just like in Todoist,

1. there would be a special "Archived" section in the left panel, showing all notebooks which were marked as "archived"
  2. in each stack, archived notebooks are not shown per default while having a notebook placeholder saying something like "show archived notebooks"
  3. per default, notes in archived notebooks are not shown in search results but each search result list ends with a link / button saying something like "search archived tasks ..."
1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, MrShlomo said:

A dedicated "Archived" checkbox on each notebook would be the solution to all our problems. Folks could then either create a dedicated "Archive" notebook, mark it as "Archived" and move all single notes they want to archive there, or, like me, archive whole notebooks once the corresponding project is done without moving them out of the stacks where they belong.

My preference is that archiving be specified at the note level.
I don't want to have to "move" my notes or notebooks anywhere.
No word from Evernote on an archiving feature - I use an !Archive tag so that I can exclude notes from searches.

@Shlomo

Workaround.  If you really don't want the closed projects in your search results, you could create a new free account in EN and ENEX export/import the notebook to the new account.  Might be some issues with nested tags in the new account, but if all you are looking for is a not often used archive, not too bad.  FWIW.

Not sure what the status of this is, but it's a feature that would compel me to upgrade to a Pro membership.

1 person likes this

OK, so there's a bit of a workaround to this problem that might help ease some of your issues, it just requires a more advanced search query. Here's what you could do:

Add a new tag called: archive (or name it whatever you'd like to call it, this tag will just act as a flag for our archived notes).

Now comes the search magic! Evernote has a feature built into its query system where you can exclude tags by using the following: -tag:TheTagIDontWantToSee  

So, if you would like to search for a particular tag without searching archived notes, you can structure a query similar to the one below and place it in the search bar within Evernote:

tag:whatevertagimsearcing -tag:archive

Also, if you'd rather search for a word or string instead of a tag, you could use the query below: 

-tag:archive String I'm searching

You could even tie it all together so that you could search a certain word or string, with a certain tag, that excludes the archive tag (see attached screenshot): 

tag:whatevertagimsearcing -tag:archive Hello World

There are lots of search options, I hope this helps you guys out!

EN-Search.png

1 person likes this

I'm in immediate need of this and having a tag or an appropriate mechanism that hides content/notes/notebooks would be very much appreciated, esp when we want less clutter in our Evernote workspace and also for personal privacy reasons esp. when you have your laptop opened, with folks sitting or gathered around you in a meeting or social interactive setting like a workshop, etc. There are some notes & notebooks that I have that are personal and I don't want sticky beaks leaning over to see what I have, as in personal goals for the year and so on.

I use an archive tag to exclude notes from my saved searches.

If it was a big concern, you might want to open another account and move those NSFS notes there.

NSFS = Not Safe For Sharing

+1 with a twist: 

I would love to have an auto-archive... or an expiration-date for notes.  For example, if I take a photo of my airport parking location , I'd like it to auto-expire a few days after I get back from my trip.  -OR- if I create a note from shipping details, I'd like it to auto-expire after my shipment arrives... etc. 

Anyone else?

1 person likes this

This really is important to me. I've been a premium user for over  5 years now and my Evernote note collection is just getting too large and cumbersome but I don't want to delete. Sadly I'm considering moving fully over to OneNote now which I have been using alongside Evernote to try to manage the quantity of notes. It is much easier to archive OneNote notebooks. I'm really disappointed Evernote still haven't tackled this - there must be many of us older users whose Evernote collections are in desperate need of a dedicated archiving tool.

1 person likes this

On 21/06/2016 at 3:39 AM, Paul Carter said:

+1 with a twist: 

I would love to have an auto-archive... or an expiration-date for notes.  For example, if I take a photo of my airport parking location , I'd like it to auto-expire a few days after I get back from my trip.  -OR- if I create a note from shipping details, I'd like it to auto-expire after my shipment arrives... etc. 

Anyone else?

Hi.  If you wish to raise a suggestion for a new feature or a change to the present actions or content,  the best place to do so is in the Feedback page for your main OS.

It's accepted that if a feature is adopted for one device,  it will - eventually - make its way to all of them;  but short term if you want something new in Windows (for example) suggest it there, and you might get lucky.  Votes from others who want the same thing will help make it more likely.

Bear in mind that some simple changes may already be in a pipeline somewhere,  so you'll see results quickly.  Others,  although the change is small,  may require major rewrites of something fundamental before they can be implemented - the recent and continuing Editor changes for example have been running for at least 2 years.

You'll probably get plenty of suggestions for 'work-arounds' and some of us will have different ways to get to the same(ish) result.  None of that is suggesting that your suggestion won't be implemented - just that Evernote has the reaction speed of an Oil Tanker when it comes to braking and hard turns,  so you might have to wait for a while before your brilliant idea is actually available...

You'll need to post your ideas in one of these -

https://discussion.evernote.com/forum/208-android-product-feedback/
https://discussion.evernote.com/forum/276-business-product-feedback/
https://discussion.evernote.com/forum/256-web-clipper-product-feedback/
https://discussion.evernote.com/forum/215-ios-product-feedback/
https://discussion.evernote.com/forum/218-mac-product-feedback/
https://discussion.evernote.com/forum/237-penultimate-product-feedback/
https://discussion.evernote.com/forum/206-scannable-product-feedback/
https://discussion.evernote.com/forum/234-web-product-feedback/
https://discussion.evernote.com/forum/224-windows-desktop-product-feedback/

7 hours ago, Michael Allen said:

there must be many of us older users whose Evernote collections are in desperate need of a dedicated archiving tool.

Not to be contrarian, but I'm a longer term user who is not in desperate need of an archiving tool.  May just be my primary use cases of paperless, documentation, task/project management, things of interest which means I don't need it, I suppose.  I can see why others would want it, just not essential to me.  IAC, easy enough for me to modify a search to exclude unwanted stuff, if need be.  Just a different view.

3 people like this

I take the laid back Curationer approach.  I search for stuff I want,  changing search terms and tags/ titles/ keywords until my search gives me a close enough match.  If in course of that I see duplicate or old notes,  I may kill them,  tag 'archive',  or export to ENEX or another basic account.  Depends on how awake and enthusiastic I am at the time.  Unless Evernote is giving me capacity or speed problems (touch wood,  it's not..) I see no point in spending energy keeping it looking pretty.  As long as it does the job...

1 person likes this