How to add people to an existing Work Chat discussion

I'm having a discussion on some notes with an outside contractor through Work Chat. I want to add a coworker to the ongoing conversation so he also has access to the conversation and the already shared notes. I have no way to add a new person to the chat. The contractor started the chat but also has no "add person" or "+1" button to add someone else. We ended up starting a new work chat with the three of us, re-sharing the already shared notes and effectively loosing all prior communication from the previous chat.

Is there a better way for this in Work Chat?

Frank

• 3 weeks later...

This particular issue is making me look into alternatives to evernote chat - I am now trying out Slack, which allows you to add people and choose whether or not they can see historical information on the chat or whether they start at the point they join.  COME ON Evernote - this is not a good thing.  If you work with a revolving team structure this is just a major pain in the arse because you can't even copy and paste all the previous chat info - you have to do it bit by bit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This particular issue is making me look into alternatives to evernote chat - I am now trying out Slack, which allows you to add people and choose whether or not they can see historical information on the chat or whether they start at the point they join.  COME ON Evernote - this is not a good thing.  If you work with a revolving team structure this is just a major pain in the arse because you can't even copy and paste all the previous chat info - you have to do it bit by bit.

Being able to add people to work chat would be a great feature for me as well. I'm working with relief organizations in several countries. Being able to add team members to our work chats would be very helpful.

I definitely want to 2nd pollywatt and RevGilliam on this one.  I'm loving EN work chat for collaborating with different teams by sharing notes and chatting about them.  The fact that the shared notes a live and can be accessed by the group is excellent.  

Inevitably the discussion progresses and you have to call more people (subject matter experts) into the conversation.  

The current state of work chat means you have to err on the side of including all possible people in the chat, which is distracting and akin to the dreaded over cc'ing on emails.  

I'm resisting bringing in yet another chat app like Slack since our staff seem to be chatting on whats app, skype, lync (now skype for biz), imessage.  I was really hoping EN work chat could consolidate this. 

i am just got into EN and am hooked.  I needed a premium account within a week.  I have 15 people from our company on it and am considering EN business version.  

A solid, useful chat would likely push me over the edge ;)

Hi Davevernote,

We are working on adding people to chats and should have something out across all our clients soon.  In the mean time, I wanted to ask a few more details about what you consider a useful chat client.  Are there specific features other than adding people to an existing chat that you consider essential?

Thanks.

Hi mcheng,

Here are the features I'd like added:

1. Chat subject - I have 50 chats going and waste time figuring out which one is on a specific subject.

2. Ability to add/remove people after chat has been initiated.

3. Option to allow added people to see or not see past files and chat.

4. Ability to remove yourself from a chat and have it send notification of you leaving.

5. On/off alerts for specific chats.

6. Chat associated with a shared notebook (not just note).

7. Delete chat, but allow files to remain shared. 

• 1 month later...

Amen to the request for adding people to a workchat. If this can't be done, is it possible to 'name' a chat, give it a title so to speak, so that I can redirect people in the chat to use that particular chat rather than an individual one. As an example, a team member seems to have their own chat however their email appears in the group one. I could redirect them to use that one if it could be clearly identified.

Hi mcheng,

Here are the features I'd like added:

1. Chat subject - I have 50 chats going and waste time figuring out which one is on a specific subject.

2. Ability to add/remove people after chat has been initiated.

3. Option to allow added people to see or not see past files and chat.

4. Ability to remove yourself from a chat and have it send notification of you leaving.

5. On/off alerts for specific chats.

6. Chat associated with a shared notebook (not just note).

7. Delete chat, but allow files to remain shared. 

8. The ability to mention someone like @johnsmith inside of a Workchat (and across Evernote for that matter, inside a note, etc) to sort of "tag" someone. That would be epic!

Oh my word, yes! This is it! This is what Workchat needs. 1, 2, 6, and 8 (my addition) are my key picks for specifics! 

Hi 

Just a clarification for item #8 and #6.

- Do you want to view chats that reference a notebook or do you want some sort "notebook" concept associated with the chat so that notes shared to the chat are stored there?  

- What do you see as the end result of mentioning someone in a chat or in a note?  Do you just expect the person to receive some sort of notification or do you expect something more?

Thanks.

Mcheng,

I really like how @MAKEVERNOTE is thinking with #6 and #8. The ability to see all current and historical chats related to notes and notebooks would be powerful (#6),

Then also being able to see all the notes and notebooks in which a user is involved (#8) would be epic.

I picture this looking like or being included in the context feature. For example, if you are in a note or notebook, associated chats would appear on the bottom of the window. To take it a step further, it would be great if the chat content was included in the search....and a step even further, included in the Google Chrome add-in search.

To add on to #3 - if the interface allowed you to select a chat and quickly see all the shared notes associated with the chat without having to scroll back through the chat it would be handy. I see this being where you would control the permissions with a user vs note/notebook checkbox matrix.

Our company just implemented EN Business, so we'll certainly use these features a lot.

Let me know if you need more info or clarification.

FYI @Davevernote you can quickly view all the shared notes in a single Workchat conversation. On Evernote Mac you just click the "paperclipped piece of paper" in the upper righthand corner and it shows you all the notes shared in that conversation. Is that what you meant?

To add on to #3 - if the interface allowed you to select a chat and quickly see all the shared notes associated with the chat without having to scroll back through the chat it would be handy. I see this being where you would control the permissions with a user vs note/notebook checkbox matrix.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi 

Just a clarification for item #8 and #6.

- Do you want to view chats that reference a notebook or do you want some sort "notebook" concept associated with the chat so that notes shared to the chat are stored there?  

- What do you see as the end result of mentioning someone in a chat or in a note?  Do you just expect the person to receive some sort of notification or do you expect something more?

Thanks.

Mcheng, +1 to @Makevernote's take on @Davevernote's list. Looking for #6 is what brought me to this board in the first place. I would like to see Work Chats attached to notebooks, i.e. you can see the WCs inside the notebook just as if they were notes. If each WC had a subject (#1) and could be searchable, like notes, that would be doubly useful. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to get additional feedback from users about Work Chat, sharing and collaboration features in Evernote.  If you'd be willing to speak with me for 15-30 mins at a time of your convenience, please private message me on this forum and I'll contact you to setup a time.  Thanks for your feedback.

// Martin

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just googles this thread and Evernote said it was being developed in June - its now November and we still don't have it... this is a much needed feature - I've got a number of Work Chats going on and need to be able to add people and take people off the same chat adhoc.  Is there an update on this please Evernote??

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi, its been years since you said that this feature will be released and still till now there is no such thing as add a new participant, like whatsapp for example. And this is a very important feature to me cuz I already made a work chat group with my coworkers and now someone joined us, but we cant add him to this workchat group that we already shared alot of notes in it which should be shared to him too. Now we have to create a new chat, recopy everything one by one, add our new coworker, and then share our notes again. Hope you will help me fix my problem cuz we will stop using Evernote and search for something better.

Thanks 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, we are working with groups, and we need to give a different name to each chat, if not, without a name is impossible to know in middle of dozens of chats, which is the right one to post, please, we read that Evernote team guy about this matter just say ''stay tunned'', - mcheng (Evernote Employee),Posted 18 Aug 2015: ''Hi
These features should be rolling out to the Evernote clients soon.  Stay tuned.''.... PLEASE your customers need this main option be available soon (again), we hope in christ to receive your asap kind response, thank, God bless you, bye.

• 8 months later...

The lack of ability to add and remove participants from a Work Chat is a major problem with using Evernote.  We have found EN to have many wonderful features but it definitely seems to be growing outdated with the more recent features of the alternative applications.

• 1 year later...

Archived