Disappearing text formatting bar

Chris_walters

I wonder if anyone else has the same issue and has a fix for it.

Windows 7 and Evernote for Windows 5.8.6.7519 (but has been happening for ages / many releases).

1. Open an existing note into a new window

2. Click in area above formatting bar and to the right of "Click to add tag..."

3. Formatting bar disappears, and only comes back when the note window is closed and then reopened:

Am I missing the obvious, does anyone see the same behaviour, and most importantly.. is there a fix?

Thanks,

Chris

Okay, Chris, I was able to reproduce this bug; since I'm a Premium user and we supposedly get fast-track support, I raised a support ticket for it just now: #1053754. I'm using Windows 7 Pro 32-bit; latest Windows Evernote 5.8.6.7519 client (the same one you're using).

I only see this bug if "Tools | Options | General | Enable beta features and updates" is ticked in the Evernote client.  Unticking that gets your back to what the behavior is supposed to be, namely:

When I click on the spot you indicated, the formatting bar is replaced with an information line showing "Created:", "Updated:", and URL:" for the current note.

As soon as I click back in the part of the window displaying the actual note (which is the only place you can actually do formatting), the formatting bar re-appears.

All best wishes.

Rob

• Level 5

Am I missing the obvious, does anyone see the same behaviour, and most importantly.. is there a fix?

That is the way Evernote is designed. It is not a bug.

The mouse position mentioned below will toggle the visible information back and forth.

Position 1.) Click anywhere on the title
  • modify created date
  • modify updated date
  • modify URL

Position 2.) Click anywhere in the body of the note content
These items affect the note content
  • change font and size
  • change text color
  • bold, italic, underline, strikethrough
  • bullet or numerical list
  • add check box
  • text alignment
  • indent or promote
  • insert table
  • add horizontal line
  • add attachment

Click in either area and these can be run regardless of where the mouse is pointing
  • modify notebook
  • modify or add tags
  • set a reminder
  • run in presentation mode
  • view history
  • and several other options

jbenson, please read my message upthread, posted six hours before yours.  The original poster, Chris, is right:  there IS a bug -- and you can make the bug appear, or disappear, by toggling "Tools | Options | General | Enable beta features and updates" on or off.  Gently, it doesn't look like you actually read either Chris's detailed bug posting about where the problem occurs (Click in area above formatting bar and to the right of "Click to add tag..."), nor my response, since you don't actually address what's being discussed. :)

• Level 5

My eyesight is a bit weak with age, but I did read the OP and tested it in the blank area right of "Click to add tag..."

I will not use an Evernote beta anymore, but the OP did state it: "has been happening for ages / many releases".

Chris seemed to have a problem with his last step

3. Formatting bar disappears, and only comes back when the note window is closed and then reopened:

Yes, the formatting bar disappears. Just as when you click in the Title area. This toggle effect is normal on my Evernote.

But closing and reopening is not the only solution.

The text formatting bar comes back as soon as I click anywhere in the note content area. 

Seems logical to me.

I'll bow out and let Evernote answer in more detail.

Yes, that's right, jbenson2, that's how it's SUPPOSED to work, and that's how it DOES work EXCEPT WHEN THIS BUG IS OCCURRING, which is EASY TO REPLICATE, at least on Windows 7, following the instructions in my post.  Under those circumstances, the formatting bar DOES NOT come back as soon as one clicks anywhere in the note content area.

As I noted -- three times now -- the bug ONLY occurs when "Tools | Options | General | Enable beta features and updates" is ticked (selected) within the Evernote Windows client.

All best wishes.

• Level 5*

There is a registry hack to add Show Editing Toolbar (Ctrl-F8) and Show Note Info (F8) to the view menu.  It is to set the registry value (DWORD) "AutoShowNoteToolbar" set to 0.  The editing toolbar will stay put when you select this view option. 

Works for me since I don't modify dates or the URL fields that much and I can get at them through the information icon when I do need them.  FWIW.

• Level 5*

This is a known bug when the beta-editor is enabled.

You can get the bar back by clicking in the caption and then back into the body.

Good to know.  It was a known bug before the beta was enabled as well.  There's progress for you (hence the hack).  ;)

Archived