Improvements needed in Scanscap manager

jdmarch

Idea

1) It's not at all clear that this is the right place for this feedback. Please direct me if it's not.

The scanner itself is a small miracle. But the Scansnap software... not so much.

2) It is not at all good at blank page detection (unless it's totally pristine). Therefore it's necessary to switch back and forth between single- and double-sided document setting. This takes 6 clicks each time! Please provide a one-click toggle between single and double side scan mode.

3) Auto color settings work badly on pencil notes, so it's necessary to switch to explicit greyscale.

4) Auto mode detection works badly when docs and photos and receipts are mixed. (E.g. large color photo treated as a document when stacked, but recognized ok by itself.)

5) Because of all the above, it's necessary to constantly be changing settings, but the SS settings window is always on top and not resizable. Therefore it doesn't share the screen politely (e.g. if it were not always on top, one could simply Alt+Tab to it), so it's necessary to close it, open it, close it, open it, close it, open it... you get the idea! Or let it minimize to tray (so one-click re-open, at least).

6) On Mac, one can scroll through multi-page PDFs (good!) But on Windows, it's click, click, click through each page. Very unfriendly.

7) Need basic PDF editing post-scan. At least page removal and rotation.

Thanks!

3 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi.  You (presumably) tagged your post here 'scannable',  which it's apparently not;  and you don;t mention whether this is the Evernote Edition ScanSnap or the standard Fujitsu iX500 range.  I have the older S1500 ScanSnap plus the SS Manager software.  So:

1. If you're using the EESS scanner,  then this is the right forum,  but not the right thread for feedback.  If you're talking about the Fujitsu SS,  then they're the guys to talk to.

2. On this point I'd just leave your scanner on duplex.  My old,  creaky S1500 has the ability to ignore blank pages.  It doesn't hurt if you do get a couple of misses in your scans - some pages do have creases or marks that fool the sensor - but the file size isn't affected much and you can always dlete them later if its a problem.

3. Not had a colour problem with pencil vs printed pages though if you're scanning photographs you need to play with resolution and colour settings.  Can you give us some screen shots of example pencil note problems?

4. Ah.  Now sounding like the EESS..  If you have a picture that's a standard page size sorted with other pages that are of similar size,  it might be mistaken for part of the same document,  or at least just another page in the stack.  Try adding a smaller item before the picture - a receipt or a business card.

5. Have to let some other EESS user comment on that..

6. That's the way that PDFs work on Macs and Windows - different OS,  slightly different options...  but see 'scan to folder' comments in next item - 

7. Editing from Evernote means your upload limit (if you have one) takes a hit twice - once for the initial save,  then again for the edit.  Better in some cases to scan to Folder on your desktop,  then edit and rename as necessary,  then import the files into Evernote.

Hope some of that helps.  You can,  of course,  submit a support request by choosing the appropriate option in the first dropdown after logging in here> https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action

Premium / Business users also have access to a Chat option (7am-7pm PST weekdays) - click 'continue' on the support page after logging in.

Thanks for the reply, gazumped. I missed it for a while because I assumed wrongly that auto-notify to own posts would be default.

> Hi.  You (presumably) tagged your post here 'scannable',  which it's apparently not;  and you don;t mention whether this is the Evernote Edition ScanSnap

It is (Model ix500EE)

> If you're using the EESS scanner,  then this is the right forum,  but not the right thread for feedback. 

What would be the  right thread for feedback? I didn't find one.

> On this point I'd just leave your scanner on duplex.  My old,  creaky S1500 has the ability to ignore blank pages.  It doesn't hurt if you do get a couple of misses in your scans - some pages do have creases or marks that fool the sensor - but the file size isn't affected much and you can always dlete them later if its a problem.

Extra blank pages make browsing less fluid, and deleting them takes multiple additional steps.

> That's the way that PDFs work on Macs and Windows - different OS,  slightly different options...  

I presume that you mean that's the way that Evernote has chosen to present PDFs on Windows? Yes, that's exactly my concern. Because actually no PDF software that I normally use on Windows is this clumsy. I don't know why Evernote would choose to provide PDF-reading software which is so painful to use, and which violates norms of keyboard accessibility.

> Editing from Evernote means your upload limit (if you have one) takes a hit twice - once for the initial save,  then again for the edit.  Better in some cases to scan to Folder on your desktop,  then edit and rename as necessary,  then import the files into Evernote.

Good to know, but again, the point is to move quickly, not to have to engage in multi-step tweaks.

> Hope some of that helps.  

Yep, step by step. Thanks again.

> You can,  of course,  submit a support request by choosing the appropriate option in the first dropdown after logging in here> https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action

> Premium / Business users also have access to a Chat option (7am-7pm PST weekdays) - click 'continue' on the support page after logging in.

I am a long-time premium user, but is support really an appropriate channel for interface feedback?

• Level 5*

Hi again - 

You're right.  This is Scannable Feedback;  I kind've assumed that there would be matching EESS help and feedback channels,  which was my dumb move of the week,  and it's still only Monday morning...  Feature request to the Forum Gods I think - what about a ScanSnap fork guys?  Let's leave things where they are for the moment!

Your choice as to blank pages - I don't mind them,  but use the 'full' Adobe version on my system (it came with the scanner) so I can delete pages with a couple of keystrokes if they annoy me.  As a rule,  they don't;  it's one keypress to skip them.  The developers will read this thread though and they can make their own decisions on how far to implement changes.

Evernote always try to improve the performance of their apps,  but developing a reader that works across multiple devices and OS's probably needs as much investment as Adobe have put in to date,  and a lot of time to engineer from the ground up.

As to the support link - my bad;  I should have phrased it better.  That link is also for feedback and technical enquiries.  Developers do read these posts,  but submitting the point by email makes sure they get the details quickly and in full...

:)

Archived