Penultimate 6.0.5 and 6.0.6 Released

cifip

Idea

• Level 5

Hi all,

We released Penultimate 6.0.5 to the App Store earlier today.

This release was focused around the new and improved Evernote Premium, and the introduction of Evernote Plus. You can read more about the new tiers on the Evernote blog: Introducing Evernote Plus and the new Evernote Premium.

This release also has updates to address note editing and app stability issues.

What's new in 6.0.5:
  • Introduction of new pricing tier, Evernote Plus, and improvements to Evernote Premium
    • Evernote Plus users can enjoy 1 GB monthly uploads, mobile passcode, all the papers for Penultimate in the Paper Shop, and more
    • Evernote Premium now includes unlimited monthly uploads and many more features in the Evernote products
  • Improvements and bug fixes
    • Crash fixes for newly created custom paper, deleting last notebook, and device sleeping
    • Improved save and sync handling during note editing
    • iOS 8.3 fix for settings toggles

5/11/15 Update:

Penultimate for iPad 6.0.6 was released to the App Store this evening with a fix for paid users on 32-bit device (iPad 2, 3, 4, & iPad Mini 1) that were getting prompted to upgrade their account. I'm sorry for an inconvenience.

Please let us know what you think.

You can download the Penultimate app from the App Store.

You can order the new Jot Script 2 Evernote Edition Stylus from the Evernote Market.

Cheers!

36 replies to this idea

Hey there Chuck,

Just the lay down some specs: I've got an iPad mini and I'm using an Adonit Jot Touch stylus.

I'm experiencing a fair bit of lag on the 6.0.6 build, I'm getting all sorts of skips and jumps, lines not registering and lines drawing themselves in. This occurs both drifting and still, seemingly at random; further the lag doesn't seem to correlate with the amount of data on screen, from the first sentence to the last, it's a real niggle and is desperately frustrating.

To answer the inevitable, no, my iPad is not the issue as the two previous builds were working fine.

I'd like to suggest that you guys should make you're past builds available, and then realease your new version, then await feedback before advancing your available products, for example have 6.0.6 available as well as 6.0.2,3,4 & 5.

Finally I'd like to say thank you for what y'all are doing and I'm hoping that this can be resolved as this is a product that I have been pleased with in the past and am saddened that I can't write my documents any more.

Kind regards, Jack Hanson

• Level 5

I just DL'd the update. I haven't used Penultimate since the disasterous launch of 6.

I still don't get proper orientation of my old docs. If I did them in landscape (and that's how I did most of them) I can't view them that way. (Not quite true. Some are OK, others aren't. But at least, new ones seem to stay that way.)

I don't like not being able to name the notebook right up front.

This is a GUI thing: on the "notebook" page I scroll through the books with one finger. IN a notebook, I have to use two fingers, or I draw a line. Kind of counter-intuitive.

It's better, but it's still not fixed.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your feedback.

I'm sorry to hear that some of your notes have incorrect orientation. I'm not sure why that would only happen with some of them. Can you provide any more insight into the problematic notes vs the non-problematic notes?

Thanks for sticking with us. More improvements on the way.

Cheers,

Chuck

• Level 5

New to the app and Jotscript, but one thing I'm sure about: drift drifts too fast for me and my w r i t i n g s t r e t c h e s

Out too much as I g e t g o i n g f a s t e r. Becomes almost illegible. I like the idea of drift because the zoom window makes it easier for me to write precisely without manually moving the window across the page. Any way it could be slowed a bit?

Hi,

Can you provide more details on your zoom box usage? Is your device oriented portrait or landscape? Which device are you using? Are you using pen or highlighter? And which pen width are you using? 

The zoom box drift should be based on how fast you are writing your letters - the faster you write, the faster the drift will move. Also, if you are using a thinner ink, the zoom box may move faster than if you are using a thicker ink.

Cheers,

Chuck

• Level 5

I had all but given up on Penultimate - the scrolling to add a new page proved to be too much and was the last straw.  I ended up deleting the app and switching to Bamboo, where I can add pages by using an arrow, NOT scrolling up.  Bamboo works well, but does not export to Evernote automatically - I have to remember to go in and do it, which is fine, but an additional step.  Further, and while this isn't as important comapred to functionality, it's not as "pretty" as Penultimate. 

I have downloaded the latest update for Penultimate and am going to give it a go.  I will say that my first few uses have been much easier and not presenting the issues I had That being said, while knowing that "small" changes to an app are not small at all, I think it would go a long way if the feature to add a page could be done by just tapping an arrow as opposed to scrolling or using the page sorter.  Until that happens, I'm not deleting Bamboo off my iPad. 

Hi Emily,

Thanks for your feedback. I'm glad to hear that we're making progress in your eyes.

We're currently working on an improved pagination option for users that are more comfortable with flipping vs scrolling as well as adding pages via arrows instead of gestures. Stay tuned.

I'd like to point out that you can also add a page by opening the side tray on the left and tapping the plus icon. We've found that most people actually add pages this way.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,

Chuck

I had all but given up on Penultimate - the scrolling to add a new page proved to be too much and was the last straw.  I ended up deleting the app and switching to Bamboo, where I can add pages by using an arrow, NOT scrolling up.  Bamboo works well, but does not export to Evernote automatically - I have to remember to go in and do it, which is fine, but an additional step.  Further, and while this isn't as important comapred to functionality, it's not as "pretty" as Penultimate. 

I have downloaded the latest update for Penultimate and am going to give it a go.  I will say that my first few uses have been much easier and not presenting the issues I had That being said, while knowing that "small" changes to an app are not small at all, I think it would go a long way if the feature to add a page could be done by just tapping an arrow as opposed to scrolling or using the page sorter.  Until that happens, I'm not deleting Bamboo off my iPad. 

Hi Emily,

Thanks for your feedback. I'm glad to hear that we're making progress in your eyes.

We're currently working on an improved pagination option for users that are more comfortable with flipping vs scrolling as well as adding pages via arrows instead of gestures. Stay tuned.

I'd like to point out that you can also add a page by opening the side tray on the left and tapping the plus icon. We've found that most people actually add pages this way.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,

Chuck

I have used the side tray, but when I'm quickly trying to take notes, the extra taps and movement are just not ideal.  A quick tap on an arrow would be the best solution, IMO. 

This app has not received the update that everyone on here knows it deserves. Evernote seems to be more worried about getting additional ways to have their end users pay for a service than add in the features they had taken out of Penultimate when going to v.6.0. Come on guys! Compared to the old app that would turn the page when you're ready, this app makes it nearly impossible to write on because it would rather scroll up and down to new pages. It would also be nice to be able to view my notebooks in alphabetical order rather than having to manually search every time I want a specific notebook. Do I dare even get into how the Jot Script, a product designed for Evernote, and how it doesn't even work correctly with this app? If there are ways to overcome these issues, I apologize for my rant, but this app has continued to be a disappointment even after all the promises that Evernote keeps making to try and make it a decent app again. What ever happened to "working smarter, not harder?" Evernote has chosen to work harder, not smarter, in scrapping the original Penulitmate app and making it a hell for their end users now. At least give us a way to use the older version that everyone actually liked!

Is there a way to search just by the title of the notebook and a way to arrange them alphabetically rather than by most recently used? The search and organization so far are a disaster for anyone with a sizable number of notebooks.

• Level 5

This app has not received the update that everyone on here knows it deserves. Evernote seems to be more worried about getting additional ways to have their end users pay for a service than add in the features they had taken out of Penultimate when going to v.6.0. Come on guys! Compared to the old app that would turn the page when you're ready, this app makes it nearly impossible to write on because it would rather scroll up and down to new pages. It would also be nice to be able to view my notebooks in alphabetical order rather than having to manually search every time I want a specific notebook. Do I dare even get into how the Jot Script, a product designed for Evernote, and how it doesn't even work correctly with this app? If there are ways to overcome these issues, I apologize for my rant, but this app has continued to be a disappointment even after all the promises that Evernote keeps making to try and make it a decent app again. What ever happened to "working smarter, not harder?" Evernote has chosen to work harder, not smarter, in scrapping the original Penulitmate app and making it a hell for their end users now. At least give us a way to use the older version that everyone actually liked!

Hi,

After the 6.0 release, we focused heavily on improving writing first and then the most important and requested functionality. 

We're currently testing a pagination feature that would allow users to choose whether they would prefer to scroll up-and-down or page left-and-right. We've received very favorable feedback and are refining and squashing implementation bugs at the moment. We hope to have it out to the public soon. (We had a version of it that we weren't happy with, so we decided to make it better before releasing it.)

Currently notebooks (big circle screen) are sorted alphabetically but notes are sorted by last updated. We can look to add sorting functionality in a future release.

What types of problems are you having with your Jot Script? Is it the first or second edition? What type of iPad are you using it on?

Thanks again for your feedback. If you're interested in joining the beta program and providing feedback during feature development, please check out the post Become an Evernote Beta Tester.

Cheers,

Chuck

New to the app and Jotscript, but one thing I'm sure about: drift drifts too fast for me and my w r i t i n g s t r e t c h e s

Out too much as I g e t g o i n g f a s t e r. Becomes almost illegible. I like the idea of drift because the zoom window makes it easier for me to write precisely without manually moving the window across the page. Any way it could be slowed a bit?

The app syncs with Evernote, has many interesting paper formats, and super easy menu to take coarse notes. I am looking for alternatives for Penultimate because my handwriting looks terrible with the auto advance feature. It just does not work for me. It does not recognize shapes, which results in very badly drawn diagrams. The latest versions seem to have moved the application back in quality: from ultimate note taking app to penultimate, to antepenultimate.

JM

I don't see what is ring with this version...it works smoothly (at least with my jot touch stylus), and is organized and simple. I don't like the scrolling, or the fact you can only change the name of the note after it is created. Other than that, it is beautiful, and I am going to use it for school next year. But then again, I wasn't around for the old penultimate.

I recently started using Penultimate again after a long absence. I’m looking for an iOS solution for handwritten journaling. So far, Penultimate is the app the beat but it’s not quite where I need to be for me to give up my Moleskine.

Feedback from my experiments:

* Sometimes I’ll end up with a stray mark that can’t be undone or erased. It’s permanent. I have no idea why.

* Instead of accessing zoom via the pinch gesture, could zoom be available in the toolbar at the top of the screen? Selecting the zoom should be as easy as choosing a pen or an ink color. Too often—for me, at least—the pinch-zoom results in unintended marks on the page.

* The zoom box doesn’t let me draw/write at the right-most edge of the screen. Instead, there's a kind of margin buffer that makes the right edge inaccessible. This is especially a problem when I'm making a calendar, as nearly half of the space for Sunday is blocked from use.

* Palm rejection could be improved. I know a bluetooth stylus is a workaround, but I prefer a passive Notier and I’m ending up with far too many streaks, dots, and the like from where my hand sometimes touches the screen. I’d rather not have to get a dedicated stylus just for one app.

But if I do have to go with a bluetooth stylus, will Penultimate work with other bluetooth styli—e.g., FiftyThree's Pencil—or just the JotScript? 

Thanks for listening to consumer feedback!
  • Level 5

I recently started using Penultimate again after a long absence. I’m looking for an iOS solution for handwritten journaling. So far, Penultimate is the app the beat but it’s not quite where I need to be for me to give up my Moleskine.

* Sometimes I’ll end up with a stray mark that can’t be undone or erased. It’s permanent. I have no idea why.

* Instead of accessing zoom via the pinch gesture, could zoom be available in the toolbar at the top of the screen? Selecting the zoom should be as easy as choosing a pen or an ink color. Too often—for me, at least—the pinch-zoom results in unintended marks on the page.

* The zoom box doesn’t let me draw/write at the right-most edge of the screen. Instead, there's a kind of margin buffer that makes the right edge inaccessible. This is especially a problem when I'm making a calendar, as nearly half of the space for Sunday is blocked from use.

* Palm rejection could be improved. I know a bluetooth stylus is a workaround, but I prefer a passive Notier and I’m ending up with far too many streaks, dots, and the like from where my hand sometimes touches the screen. I’d rather not have to get a dedicated stylus just for one app.

But if I do have to go with a bluetooth stylus, will Penultimate work with other bluetooth styli—e.g., FiftyThree's Pencil—or just the JotScript? 

Hi,

The stray marks that appear permanent should disappear if you go back to the note list, let the note sync, and re-enter the note. We're working on a fix for this.

The zoom box should allow you to write all the way to the edge of the page. In the latest version it may appear to go into a dark zone, but that is actually off the page. The next version under development will stop at the page border. I may not be understanding your issue completely though - if you'd like to take a screen shot and share that here, it would be helpful.

The next version will contain more wrist positions, and they'll be easier to select from within a note (instead of only in settings for non-Bluetooth stylus users). This should help with the palm rejection.

For Bluetooth stylus, we currently support the Jot Script Evernote Edition version one and two as well as the Jot Touch (however, not the additional buttons). We may add additional stylus support in the future.

Cheers,

Chuck

I also would like to be able to click on something on the toolbar to bring up the zoom box.  It often takes me several tries at "pinching" to get the zoom box to show up.  Sometimes I give up.  It would be much quicker if I could just click on something on the toolbar. 

Teresa

Hi there!

I'm in trouble. Since last week, with the new release, all my synced notes are not able to be imported from dropbox. It's like they are corrupted. I have an error message telling me I have to choose a .pen or .ppr file. The files are here, but cannot be opened by penultimate. All my work could be lost. Is there someone who can help me?? Thx

• Level 5

Today there was an update for Goodnotes supporting Jot Script 2. The app functioned exactly the same way that penultimate function. The difference is Goodnotes was set with Adonit provided smoothing.

I changed the smoothing provided by Goodnotes the issue that was similar to Penultimate, discussed above and in my earlier post in this section, was gone.

There you go, I think the smoothing algorithm provided by Adonit is the issue for Jot Script 2, in both Penultimate and Goodnotes app is the actual problem. Hope this can be used by both Adonit and Penultimate/Evernote to fix this seriously flawed app and Jot Script 2 smoothing algorithm.

Hi Suresh,

I'm sorry you're having this issue, and thank you for the information above. That will help us improve the app.

Are you having the issue every time in Penultimate and in Goodnotes with Adonit smoothing? (I'm personally not able to recreate using the same setup: iPad Air 2, Jot Script 2, Penultimate 6.0.5 / Goodnotes 4.6.) Also, does it only happen in portrait device orientation?

Thanks,

Chuck

....I am extremely disappointed and irritated. 

Since your scr**up after PU5 its bin 5 (five) "FIVE!!!" releases so far and you STILL havent brought the user experience back to acceptable.

WTF????

Isnt it time that the leading executive responsible for the topic gets fired or something..?

All that has to be said about the improvements has been said.

All problems have been listed

...and you still cant bring the app back to do what it was supposed to from day 1: substitute the paper experience.

as another collaborator of this forum mentioned: THIS IS THE CORE FUNCTION/COMPETENCE ...all the rest is just relevant AFTER this is installed.

I managed to get back at to the PU5 after alot of hassle. 

Everyday I open this forum and hope that something new (EFFECTIVELY) happens.

I read the forum and cry.

I try the app on my other devices (i just rolled it back on my main device) and cry.

....and no, I have not found any other app that was so good as the PU5 so far (have tryed all of the many suggestions I´ve read hier)

Please...get your ***** back together!...and FAST.

PS: sorry for being maybe not so much ...friendly. You weren't as well, when you defecated the PU-change/updates on your loyal paying customers.

Ok, here it is:

I tried the latest version 6.0.5 and still no good and here is why... the app with adonit jot script 2 (latest pen) loses connection at around the last 10 percent or so of the page in portrait mode. See attached image that shows this location with a vertical line. This is very annoying and I am not using this app because of this. I use Goodnotes and have no issues at all.

Again, see attached picture that shows a line drawn indicating where the pen (jot script 2) loses connection with iPad. Again, with Jot Script 2 and GoodNotes, I have no such issues. Only gripe, Goodnotes does not have Evernote sync yet. If that happens, I will forget Penultimate altogether.

Please fix this issue described above now.

post-154075-0-38697000-1430783071_thumb.

I disagree with JoeT, yes PU was really messed up, but now its a really easy to use, clear and functional app. I have re-installed it and it has again become my drawing app of choice.

Yes, there are a couple of bugs...

I would like an easy way to name a note before it is created instead of after (unless I am missing something) and a way of deleting empty pages.

small things really,

well done.

Ok, here it is:

I tried the latest version 6.0.5 and still no good and here is why... the app with adonit jot script 2 (latest pen) loses connection at around the last 10 percent or so of the page in portrait mode. See attached image that shows this location with a vertical line. This is very annoying and I am not using this app because of this. I use Goodnotes and have no issues at all.

Again, see attached picture that shows a line drawn indicating where the pen (jot script 2) loses connection with iPad. Again, with Jot Script 2 and GoodNotes, I have no such issues. Only gripe, Goodnotes does not have Evernote sync yet. If that happens, I will forget Penultimate altogether.

Please fix this issue described above now.

Good Luck waiting for Goodnotes to sync with evernote, I've been asking them for that for a couple of years.

I disagree with JoeT, yes PU was really messed up, but now its a really easy to use, clear and functional app. I have re-installed it and it has again become my drawing app of choice.

Yes, there are a couple of bugs...

I would like an easy way to name a note before it is created instead of after (unless I am missing something) and a way of deleting empty pages.

small things really,

well done.

Have you had issues I have experienced, as discussed above?The jot script 2 stylus keeps skipping at the last 10% of the line in Penultimate app. I have ipad air 2, jot script 2 and latest version of Penultimate.

Today there was an update for Goodnotes supporting Jot Script 2. The app functioned exactly the same way that penultimate function. The difference is Goodnotes was set with Adonit provided smoothing.

I changed the smoothing provided by Goodnotes the issue that was similar to Penultimate, discussed above and in my earlier post in this section, was gone.

There you go, I think the smoothing algorithm provided by Adonit is the issue for Jot Script 2, in both Penultimate and Goodnotes app is the actual problem. Hope this can be used by both Adonit and Penultimate/Evernote to fix this seriously flawed app and Jot Script 2 smoothing algorithm.

I really love the tight integration between Penultimate and Evernote and thus I force myself to use PU. HOWEVER, can you please offer another "auto=advance" feature. The "drift" may work for some, but as a left handed person, it does not work for me. I just cannot use it and my handwriting is already poor enough.

Please look at apps like NotetakerHD or Noteshelf and consider incorporating their version of auto-advance (shaded margin on the right side of the writing area) into PU. This is so much better than the drift feature IMHO. This would be a HUGE win for your product.

Another thing to consider incorporating would be an adjustable left margin so upon return you don't necessarily move the writing area all the way to the edge of the paper.

Please, please, please consider making these changes.

Thank you in advance!

(P.S. if you are already working on things like this, I would be happy to be a beta tester. I am currently a beta test for 2 other unrelated apps and a Test Flight user.) 

Hi Suresh,

I'm sorry you're having this issue, and thank you for the information above. That will help us improve the app.

Are you having the issue every time in Penultimate and in Goodnotes with Adonit smoothing? (I'm personally not able to recreate using the same setup: iPad Air 2, Jot Script 2, Penultimate 6.0.5 / Goodnotes 4.6.) Also, does it only happen in portrait device orientation?

Thanks,

Chuck

Are you having the issue every time in Penultimate and in Goodnotes with Adonit smoothing?

Yes in Goodnotes with Adonit smoothing and penultimate has no option to change smoothing. Therefore, by default, Penultimate tends to be unusable and frustrating. Although, the tight integration and all that is good with Penultimate; if it does not help write effortlessly and has those issues discussed above, I see no point using Penultimate ("with tight integration with Evernote").

does it only happen in portrait device orientation?

I have not used the App in Landscape. Only in portrait.

• Level 5

I really love the tight integration between Penultimate and Evernote and thus I force myself to use PU. HOWEVER, can you please offer another "auto=advance" feature. The "drift" may work for some, but as a left handed person, it does not work for me. I just cannot use it and my handwriting is already poor enough.

Please look at apps like NotetakerHD or Noteshelf and consider incorporating their version of auto-advance (shaded margin on the right side of the writing area) into PU. This is so much better than the drift feature IMHO. This would be a HUGE win for your product.

Another thing to consider incorporating would be an adjustable left margin so upon return you don't necessarily move the writing area all the way to the edge of the paper.

Please, please, please consider making these changes.

Thank you in advance!

(P.S. if you are already working on things like this, I would be happy to be a beta tester. I am currently a beta test for 2 other unrelated apps and a Test Flight user.) 

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback. We'll consider this for future releases.

We'd love to have you as a beta tester as well. Please check out the Become an Evernote Beta Tester post for instructions on how to sign-up.

Cheers,

Chuck

• Level 5

Hi Suresh,

Thanks,

Chuck

Are you having the issue every time in Penultimate and in Goodnotes with Adonit smoothing?

Yes in Goodnotes with Adonit smoothing and penultimate has no option to change smoothing. Therefore, by default, Penultimate tends to be unusable and frustrating. Although, the tight integration and all that is good with Penultimate; if it does not help write effortlessly and has those issues discussed above, I see no point using Penultimate ("with tight integration with Evernote").

Hi Suresh,

Thanks for the feedback. We have not been able to reproduce the issue you outlined above. Some things to try: (1) make sure to disconnect the Jot Script stylus from Goodnotes before connecting in Penultimate (and vice versa if you flip back to Goodnotes), (2) try a different writing position setting (regardless if it matches your writing position exactly).

It would be very helpful to know if this happens for you in landscape also if you get a chance to try.

Thanks,

Chuck

• Level 5

Hi all,

A quick note that we've released Penultimate v6.0.6 to the App Store this evening with a fix for paid users on 32-bit devices (iPad 2, 3, 4, and iPad Mini 1) who were being prompted to upgrade their accounts. I'm sorry for any inconvenience.

This forum post will serve for feedback for both Penultimate v6.0.5 and v6.0.6.

Cheers,

Chuck

The paper collection "WRITING" does not seem to download for me. I click the Free Download it seems to show the icon as it is downloading. However, the Writing Collection does not show up, I see the others, like Music, Design etcetra. Could you please check this?

Hi Suresh,

Thanks,

Chuck

Hi Suresh,

Thanks for the feedback. We have not been able to reproduce the issue you outlined above. Some things to try: (1) make sure to disconnect the Jot Script stylus from Goodnotes before connecting in Penultimate (and vice versa if you flip back to Goodnotes), (2) try a different writing position setting (regardless if it matches your writing position exactly).

It would be very helpful to know if this happens for you in landscape also if you get a chance to try.

Thanks,

Chuck

To replicate this issue, you will need to rest your palm all the time for the Bluetooth Stylus to loose connection and/or stop writing. If I keep lifting my palm as I write each word, I don't see the issue. However, I usually like to keep my palm rested and just keep moving it while I write each word to the end of the page. Please try this out and you will be able to replicate the issue I am talking about.

I just DL'd the update. I haven't used Penultimate since the disasterous launch of 6.

I still don't get proper orientation of my old docs. If I did them in landscape (and that's how I did most of them) I can't view them that way. (Not quite true. Some are OK, others aren't. But at least, new ones seem to stay that way.)

I don't like not being able to name the notebook right up front.

This is a GUI thing: on the "notebook" page I scroll through the books with one finger. IN a notebook, I have to use two fingers, or I draw a line. Kind of counter-intuitive.

It's better, but it's still not fixed.

Archived