Manage "Saved Searches"

MartinKoenig

Hi All

I'm a coach and have for each coachee a notebook which contains a note for every session.

While coaching I'd like to have fast access in which notes a certain key words appear.

E.g. John makes business with Paul. Over the time I mentioned this name in severeal notes.

• I'm creating a Save Search named "Paul" : [notebook:"John" Paul]
  • I even add this Save Search to the Short-Cut bar.

I repeate this for all the people, products or services or suppliers or ... there are in Johns business live.

This makes it a fantastic tool while coaching to dig up information from e.g. last year about a certain say product.

My problem now is that I have say 10 saved searches for each coachee.

They are overcrowd the Saved Search List and the Short-Cut bar.

Can I asign a Saved Search to a notebook so it appears in the Short-Cut bar and in the drop down list only if I select that notebook?

If not is there a way you guys see I can accomplish this?

Thanks a lot for any help.

Martin

• Level 5*

Hi All

I'm a coach and have for each coachee a notebook which contains a note for every session.

While coaching I'd like to have fast access in which notes a certain key words appear.

E.g. John makes business with Paul. Over the time I mentioned this name in severeal notes.

• I'm creating a Save Search named "Paul" : [notebook:"John" Paul]
  • I even add this Save Search to the Short-Cut bar.

I repeate this for all the people, products or services or suppliers or ... there are in Johns business live.

This makes it a fantastic tool while coaching to dig up information from e.g. last year about a certain say product.

My problem now is that I have say 10 saved searches for each coachee.

They are overcrowd the Saved Search List and the Short-Cut bar.

Can I asign a Saved Search to a notebook so it appears in the Short-Cut bar and in the drop down list only if I select that notebook?

If not is there a way you guys see I can accomplish this?

Thanks a lot for any help.

Martin

I think the answer is no do a search drop down on the short cut bar. 

You might consider a text expander like Phase Express.  It will enable you to create a hotkey for the notebook and a hot key for the individual.  So Win-J followed by Alt-P could create the notebook:john paul search.  In essence two hot keys to get the job done.  The free version of Phase Express will accomplish this.  This is a quick method I would probably use.  Would have to consider what to do with hot keys if more than 26 coachees though.

If you don't like that idea, have you considered just adding each notebook to the shortcut bar?  Depending on how often you look up any individual it might be a tradeoff versus all the saved searches.  If you have all of these notebooks in a stack you could add the stack to the shortcut bar as well.  Helpful when you want to look for Paul across all other coachees.

You can also try something with adding a leading character on all of these searches, say !.  That way when typing in the search bar !J... will display only those associated with John, be it as the notebook or search term, depending on how you named your saved searches.

Using tags may rear its head at some point depending how close you get to the notebook limit, FWIW.

• Level 5*

A fast way to change the context to a different Notebook ("Jump to Notebook") is SHIFT-ALT-N

Having done that you could just enter the person's name ("Paul") in the search box.

If you want to use tags, and have assigned a tag of Peo.Paul (for example) where "Paul" is mentioned, then you could also use the "Jump to Tag" SHIFT-ALT-T to quickly add a tag filter to the Notebook filter.

I like to use a prefix (like "Peo.") with all of my people tags to make it easy to select and assign those tags.

So if you type "peo." in the Jump to Tag or Tag Assign fields, EN will show a dropdown of all tags that start with "peo.".

Archived