Evernote for Mac 6.0.11 Released

SoftwareMarcus

Idea

We released Evernote for Mac 6.0.11 tonight.  This release has a number of fixes.

1) As some of you ran into, 6.0.10 had an issue where Premium customers were getting "virtually" downgraded to Basic because of a bug in the Mac client.  To be clear, people's accounts were never impacted but the Mac client simply wouldn't ask for the latest account information which would leave some in the Basic state.  This is now fixed in 6.0.11 but let us know if anyone runs into this issue again.

2) Also as many of you mentioned the checkbox for the beta notebook view didn't work right and would always get checked again.  This was never our intention.  I agree that would be very annoying.

I have submitted this version to the Mac App Store but we have to wait for Apple to approve it before we can release it to customers.  The App Store release has an additional fix that corrects pricing in mainland China.

There's no excuse for these bugs and we wanted to correct them as soon as we could.

Let us know if you run into any issues and as always thanks for reporting them in this forum.

UPDATE:  Apple approved 6.0.11 on 5/2 so App Store users can also upgrade to this version.

63 replies to this idea

Just wanted to thank the team for acknowledging that the persistent link to upgrade for premium customers might be a bit much. :D

I'd also like to express a concern when I clicked action to trigger the upgrade modal. Once opened there is no obvious way to dismiss it.

I had to rely on a keyboard action or click through to the upgrade page to dismiss it. This may not be seen as a user's first experience. 

Thanks for this feedback.  There should be an X (close button) at the top left next to the title of the Upgrade screen but the fact that you didn't see or notice it is great feedback that it may not be obvious enough.   Thanks.

Just wanted to thank the team for acknowledging that the persistent link to upgrade for premium customers might be a bit much. :D

I'd also like to express a concern when I clicked action to trigger the upgrade modal. Once opened there is no obvious way to dismiss it.

I had to rely on a keyboard action or click through to the upgrade page to dismiss it. This may not be seen as a user's first experience. 

Just wanted to update people who are seeing the weird scrolling behavior when they hit enter and the note scrolls up vs down.  This does not appear to happen or it's pretty rare on Yosemite but will appear on Mavericks and older.  It has something to do with resizing the Evernote window.  Once you get in this state you won't be able to get out of it unless you delete your preferences (or upgrade to Yosemite).  You can delete preferences by going to Terminal and typing defaults delete com.evernote.Evernote. WARNING: This will reset your evernote preferences. If you resize the window again it will get back into this state.  We are preparing a beta that we'll release as soon as we can that will fix the issue.

I'll throw in my strong desire to be able to hide "Upgrade Your Team" in the sidebar. I don't have or want a "team" to collaborate with and am already a Premium member. Enforcing this item as mandatory in the sidebar feels really unnecessary and contrary to a good user experience. The Evernote interface is elegant and well designed. Let's please keep it that way by allowing already paying customers to dismiss these sales pitches, or even better, not show them to Premium members at all.

I want to throw in my disagreement with JMichael, and mention my annoyance with this "Upgrade your team" button.

I understand it's small and easy to ignore, but for me, what gets me is that I'm paying as much money as Evernote will take (unless I want to pay for a Business account), and still they decide they need to hawk something that neither applies to me nor do I want, and they do it in such a way that I can't choose to remove it.

With good intentions I give money to a company that makes a product I like, and in return they turn another space on my computer into a mandatory billboard.

Everyone is certainly entitled to disagree, but I have to admit my amazement of so many complaints about something that has no functional effect on Evernote Mac.

I get it that you guys are offended by an Evernote advertisement in their paid product, but really, what does it really matter?

Does it get in your way?  Does it prevent you from doing something?

All I ask is, what do you really want  Evernote to focus their attention on?  There are still some significant bugs, and many enhancement requests demanding their attention.  What is really important to you?

I liken it to if I had bought an ad-free Kindle and then Amazon kept trying to put ads on it. I'm all for EN focusing on bugs. I think they should have done so in the first place instead of embedding an ad into the app. Upgrading your team is not a function of the app either - it's a commercial. Anyway, maybe moot since they've stated they hear us on it, but just thought I'd try to provide some insight as to why it bugs some people. Or me, anyway. :)

Can anyone confirm this for me?

1. At the bottom of a note (or in a new note), start a bulleted list
  2. Type some text, then hit "Shift+Enter" to go to a newline without a bullet point
  3. Take a screenshot (Ctrl+Cmd+Shift+4)
  4. Paste that screenshot onto the newline with no bullet point

For me, I lose the newline, and the image I paste gets put on the end of the above line.

Seems small, but it's new.

• Level 5*

@Marcus:

Looks like this is a very wide-spread bug, affecting most, if not all users.

There are now at least 4 threads reporting this bug.

To see these threads, search on the forum tag "scrolling".

A quick fix to this would be much appreciated as editing Notes longer than one window's length is very difficult.

BUG REPORT:  Pressing RETURN Key Causes Note to Scroll in Wrong Direction

EN Mac Ver 6.0.10, 6.10.11 (NEW Bug)

Mac OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

I must make a correction to my previous report on this issue.

I am now experiencing this issue.

When you have a Note whose length exceeds the length of the Note window, and you enter text and press RETURN at the bottom of the Note, the Note window scrolls down showing the upper portion of the Note, and hiding the text and RETURN that was just entered.  IOW, it scrolls in the wrong direction when a RETURN is entered.

Quotes from the return key causes page to scroll down thread:

Count me as another person annoyed by the "Upgrade Your Team" thing.

1) I'm already premium, so I can't give Evernote any more money unless I just started mailing them checks.

2) I'm an individual; I don't have a team. So who am I supposed to upgrade?

It's gauche to upsell people who have already bought the highest tier of product. It's an ad in a paid product.

Ticket #1050074

I want to throw in my disagreement with JMichael, and mention my annoyance with this "Upgrade your team" button.

I understand it's small and easy to ignore, but for me, what gets me is that I'm paying as much money as Evernote will take (unless I want to pay for a Business account), and still they decide they need to hawk something that neither applies to me nor do I want, and they do it in such a way that I can't choose to remove it.

With good intentions I give money to a company that makes a product I like, and in return they turn another space on my computer into a mandatory billboard.

Everyone is certainly entitled to disagree, but I have to admit my amazement of so many complaints about something that has no functional effect on Evernote Mac.

I get it that you guys are offended by an Evernote advertisement in their paid product, but really, what does it really matter?

All I ask is, what do you really want  Evernote to focus their attention on?  There are still some significant bugs, and many enhancement requests demanding their attention.  What is really important to you?

I'm not experiencing any bugs, and I'm doing fine with the features currently offered to me.  This is a minor matter and we've already been told that it is not by design.  It clutters the side bar for those of us who like to keep it organized, I wouldn't say I am offended though.  But yes, evidently some of us find this annoying enough that it is important to us.

So this shows up on Mac, but is not a feature that will ever be use on Mac and is in the windows version?  if that is the case then it should be removed.  I am gong to poke around, I have a feeling I can remove it anyway.

We have a fix for the weird scrolling behavior on Mac OS X versions Mavericks and below (10.9, 10.8 and 10.7).   You can download it from http://bit.ly/1zGv5O9.  We're still running our final automated test pass on it but we've all been using it for a day now so it feels pretty solid.  Once we finalize all our testing we'll roll it out to beta customers.  If you do decide to download it now, please let us know 1) Does it fix the scrolling issue you were seeing, and 2) Do you see any other major issues.  It's not too different then the 6.0.11 release so there shouldn't be any regressions.  Thanks.

NOTE: We have found an issue.  Don't download the beta if you are using Lion.  It seems fine for all other OSs.

We have a fix for the weird scrolling behavior on Mac OS X versions Mavericks and below (10.9, 10.8 and 10.7).   You can download it from http://bit.ly/1zGv5O9.  We're still running our final automated test pass on it but we've all been using it for a day now so it feels pretty solid.  Once we finalize all our testing we'll roll it out to beta customers.  If you do decide to download it now, please let us know 1) Does it fix the scrolling issue you were seeing, and 2) Do you see any other major issues.  It's not too different then the 6.0.11 release so there shouldn't be any regressions.  Thanks.

NOTE: We have found an issue.  Don't download the beta if you are using Lion.  It seems fine for all other OSs.

Mavericks 10.9.5 here

1) It fixed the scrolling issue - thank you!

2) Before I updated to 6.0.11 I could tab inside of tables when writing lists (I would get a new bullet)

• This works inside of the table
    • This does not work inside of the table

I am sorry if I wasn't clear enough, I don't really know how to explain it

What about this annoying "auto-expand" at every beginning session? :(

I'm not able to reproduce this issue.  Does anyone else see this?  Can you be more specific about what is auto-expanding.  Is it shortcuts, notebooks, tags or something else.  Also what OS are you using?

We have a new 6.0.12 beta 1 build to try.  We discovered a few bugs in the previous beta.

1) The formatting toolbar didn't appear on Lion when clicked on a blank line.

2) Batch editing of tags in multiple notes broke.

3) Work chat had selection issues after sending a message.

We're still running through our automation tests but here's an updated beta build if you want to give it a try.  http://bit.ly/1Rm30BA.

Let me know if you see any issues.

P.S. You should be able to hide the Upgrade Your Team button in this beta but let me know if you can't.

Mavericks 10.9.5 here

2) Before I updated to 6.0.11 I could tab inside of tables when writing lists (I would get a new bullet)

I think I can reproduce your issue.  To increase or decrease indent level in lists you can use CMD+SHIFT+] and CMD+SHIFT+ [.   However, I think this may not work for all international keyboards.  The menu item is under Format : Text.

What about this annoying "auto-expand" at every beginning session? :(

I'm not able to reproduce this issue.  Does anyone else see this?  Can you be more specific about what is auto-expanding.  Is it shortcuts, notebooks, tags or something else.  Also what OS are you using?

I've a lot of notebooks and tags grouped in stack. Until actual version, at every login, they was "collapsed"... Not now! See below, hope I can help you...

EN_001.jpg

Bug: Common tags aren't displaying when selecting multiple notes, which makes batch processing difficult when you need to remove a tag from a batch of notes.

The Account Info menu looks much better! :)

Just wanted to update this to let others know the issue has resolved itself. While I'm not certain, I believe it behaved properly after quitting Evernote and restarting my computer.

Mavericks 10.9.5 here

I think I can reproduce your issue.  To increase or decrease indent level in lists you can use CMD+SHIFT+] and CMD+SHIFT+ [.   However, I think this may not work for all international keyboards.  The menu item is under Format : Text.

Hi and thank you for your answer.

CMD+SHIFT+] and CMD+SHIFT+ [ did not work with my keyboard, but I can go through Format : Text and increase or decrease indent level in lists.

It worked with tab before I updated, now it just feels cumbersome.

I still have the slow-down problem with bulleted notes. Still slows to a crawl in 30 minutes requiring closing an re-opening everything. Did this problem go away for others?

Nope, I still got it as well (even though it is slightly better). 

Thanks for reporting that you're still seeing slowness.  Since we hadn't heard anything we had hoped we fixed it for everyone.  I've reached out to you via a direct message with some additional questions.  Thanks again for reporting the issue in the forum.

We just released 6.0.12 for direct download customers which has fixes for the weird Mavericks scrolling issue and the ability to hide the Upgrade button for Plus and Premium users.  Please upgrade if you would like either of those issues fixed.  You can read more about it and follow any discussions about the new release at the 6.0.12 release forum post.  http://bit.ly/1B8EucM.  

• Level 5*

@Marcus:

I thinking, hoping, that finally Ver 6.0.11 is the long-awaited rock-solid version of Ver 6.  We've been through a lot since Ver 6.0 was released last Nov.  But I hope we're there now.

Thanks for your frequent communications with us.  I do hope that the obvious bugs in Ver 6.0.10 will finally convince Evernote for the need of more thorough, comprehensive, regression testing internally before you release a product.  I, and I think many others, are more than willing to wait longer between releases if it means more bugs are fixed, and fewer bugs are introduced.

Hi Marcus

Thanks for the quick update - this is much appreciated!

However! Whereas formally I could not get "Upgrade your team" to go away, now the menu item under View> Sidebar Options > Upgrade your Team is just greyed out all together!

Hi Marcus

However! Whereas formally I could not get "Upgrade your team" to go away, now the menu item under View> Sidebar Options > Upgrade your Team is just greyed out all together!

Yes!  I have this same problem too!  I have a ticket open with support and I am being assisted by the very helpful and very responsive Amanda R.  If I learn anything more through her that isn't posted here I will share, but it seems I am restricted to 5 posts today as I am a new user.

• Ex Employees

Hi Marcus

Yes!  I have this same problem too!  I have a ticket open with support and I am being assisted by the very helpful and very responsive Amanda R.  If I learn anything more through her that isn't posted here I will share, but it seems I am restricted to 5 posts today as I am a new user.

Can you share your ticket number?

Hi Marcus

Can you share your ticket number?

Certainly -- Ticket # 1044686

Bug: Common tags aren't displaying when selecting multiple notes, which makes batch processing difficult when you need to remove a tag from a batch of notes.

• Level 5*

Ver 6.0.10 is showing common tags for me, running OS X Mavericks (10.9.5).

Was this bug introduced in Ver 6.0.11?

EDIT:  Fri, May 1, 2015 at 3:54 PM CDT

Just tested after update to Ver 6.0.11 running Yosemite (10.10.3), and it works fine for me, showing common tags in selected Notes.

Ver 6.0.10 is showing common tags for me, running OS X Mavericks (10.9.5).

Was this bug introduced in Ver 6.0.11?

Yeah, I think it was introduced in 6.0.11 - though I didn't specifically look for it in 6.0.10

I'm using v6.0.11 on OS X 10.10.3. Here's a screenshot

• Level 5*

@jvojordo:

You know that the common tags have to exist in ALL of the selected Notes?

I've now tested this on several different selection of Notes running v6.0.11 on OS X 10.10.3, and they all work fine.

Not sure what the difference is between our environments.

@JMichael

Yeah, in the screenshot, all of the notes contain three common tags. For example, "essay B" appears in each note snippet, though isn't displayed in the "click to add tags" box to the right.

It's one of those things that's so second nature to me, I'm not sure if I'm just overlooking something obvious or it's really missing :blink: – Like trying to tell someone verbally the cheat-codes to video games back in the day...just give me the controller

• Level 5*

@jvojordo:

Very interesting.  Have you submitted a bug report?  This may be a challenge for Evernote to identify and fix since it doesn't seem to affect all users.  So far I've not had this issue with either Ver 6.0.10 nor Ver 6.0.11.

Submit a BUG report via an EN Support Ticket. In the Support Form, select "Report a bug", and start the Ticket Title with "BUG:  " to make it clear.  Reporting a bug should be available to all users, including Free Account owners.  Other Ticket types available to Free users are "Data Loss", "Crash", & "Sync Issue".

@JMichael

I did submit a bug report (# 1047097) after you reported normal use, I figured I was likely a somewhat unique case. I haven't had good luck work chat in the recent past – hopefully they'll escalate it from here. Thanks for taking the time to check on your end!

@JMichael

I did submit a bug report (# 1047097) after you reported normal use, I figured I was likely a somewhat unique case. I haven't had good luck work chat in the recent past – hopefully they'll escalate it from here. Thanks for taking the time to check on your end!

I'm also not able to reproduce this issue on Yosemite.  jvojordo, can you try a test by creating 2 brand new notes with the same single tag in each and see if that works.  If that works then that might mean there is something unique about the notes you're selecting.

I'm not experiencing any bugs, and I'm doing fine with the features currently offered to me.  This is a minor matter and we've already been told that it is not by design.  It clutters the side bar for those of us who like to keep it organized, I wouldn't say I am offended though.  But yes, evidently some of us find this annoying enough that it is important to us.

• Level 5*

Please let me remove "upgrade your team" from the sidebar. It's really annoying.  I don't have a team and I'm fine with my premium account.  

A very, very minor annoyance, IMO.  After all, it is at the very bottom of the Left Side Panel, so it's not like it really gets in the way of anything.  Just ignore it.

Of all of the changes I would like Evernote to make, this is the least of them.

Please let me remove "upgrade your team" from the sidebar. It's really annoying.  I don't have a team and I'm fine with my premium account.  

A very, very minor annoyance, IMO.  After all, it is at the very bottom of the Left Side Panel, so it's not like it really gets in the way of anything.  Just ignore it.

Thanks JMichael, some of us don't wish to ignore it and being told to ignore it unfortunately does not help.

groovebak: scroll back in this thread a bit and you'll see this discussed previously.  I have a ticket open for it, I'm sure they'll get to the bottom of it.

@JMichael

I'm also not able to reproduce this issue on Yosemite.  jvojordo, can you try a test by creating 2 brand new notes with the same single tag in each and see if that works.  If that works then that might mean there is something unique about the notes you're selecting.

@SoftwareMarcus

Just tested by creating 2 notes in the inbox and given each the same tag, no luck. It's also unsuccessful when I search "notes tagged 'x'" – "x" does not show up when selecting the notes returned by that search.

Ditto. As a Premium Subscriber and developer myself, I expect better QA for these releases. Ridiculous.

• Level 5*

After upgrading to 6.0.11, it crashes upon start up consistenly. Can i downgrade, please?

I am on a macbook bro with yosemite running. 

I'm now running Ver 6.0.11 on three Macs, two with Mavericks, one with Yosemite, and no crashes, and really no new issues.

Also, I have not seen anyone else report your issue.

You may want to try these fixes, and test after each fix:

1. Reinstall the Evernote app
    1. This will just reinstall the app and should not affect your Evernote Notes.
    2. Quit Evernote app and Evernote Helper in the menu
    3. Move Evernote.app to trash and then permanently delete it (empty Trash)
    4. Restart your mac
    5. Download Evernote Mac from Evernote.com and install.
  2. Do a Clean Reinstall
    1. This should be your last resort -- do only if nothing else works
    2. This removes everything related to Evernote:  app, all your Notes, and more.  See the below link for details.
    3. See How to Completely Remove and Reinstall EN Mac 

After upgrading to 6.0.11, it crashes upon start up consistenly. Can i downgrade, please?

I am on a macbook bro with yosemite running. 

alwaysambitious, please try to download the app again from the Evernote web site.  For some reason on some people's machines the upgrade gets corrupted and no longer works.  If you reinstall the app it should work again.  Let us know if this doesn't work.  It is definitely not the 6.0.11 build.  There are lots and lots of people already using it without crashing on start up.

We released Evernote for Mac 6.0.11 tonight.  This release has a number of fixes.

1) As some of you ran into, 6.0.10 had an issue where Premium customers were getting "virtually" downgraded to Basic because of a bug in the Mac client.  To be clear, people's accounts were never impacted but the Mac client simply wouldn't ask for the latest account information which would leave some in the Basic state.  This is now fixed in 6.0.11 but let us know if anyone runs into this issue again.

2) Also as many of you mentioned the checkbox for the beta notebook view didn't work right and would always get checked again.  This was never our intention.  I agree that would be very annoying.

I have submitted this version to the Mac App Store but we have to wait for Apple to approve it before we can release it to customers.  The App Store release has an additional fix that corrects pricing in mainland China.

There's no excuse for these bugs and we wanted to correct them as soon as we could.

Let us know if you run into any issues and as always thanks for reporting them in this forum.

UPDATE:  Apple approved 6.0.11 on 5/2 so App Store users can also upgrade to this version.

Thank you for the more detailed explanation aside from the updater which just states:

Version 6.0.11 

Various bug and stability fixes

Why do companies do that, have a terrible change log in their updater, then make a blog post, a post mortem, a post in their forums, etc.?  Everyone will see the updater, and wonder what exactly "Various bug and stability fixes" covers, few will google for more info, find nothing at this early a date sine release, and even fewer are going to find the forums, find the mac section, find the sub section within the mac section, and find this thread.

P.S. It wold be really cool if in these forums they were condensed.  There are too many categories and there is often little signal ( though luckily not much noise either :) ) I think we could all manage if the mac section was just one.  I mean, as it stands now, perhaps there needs to be a distinct section for just the Safari Extension, and one for Chrome, etc.  See how that is just taking it too far?  How about just Mac, Windows, iOS, Android, etc, the main headers is all we need.  Thread titles will get us the rest of the way.  Nothing worse than googling out an answer to click on it to find it is in the EN PC section and completely n/a to my current issues.  If a suggested list of merges is desired please ask, and I can post to the general area and talk with the community on the best way to clean up the forms a bit.

Thanks, I am off to read the change log/release notes.

@JMichael

Yeah, in the screenshot, all of the notes contain three common tags. For example, "essay B" appears in each note snippet, though isn't displayed in the "click to add tags" box to the right.

It's one of those things that's so second nature to me, I'm not sure if I'm just overlooking something obvious or it's really missing :blink: – Like trying to tell someone verbally the cheat-codes to video games back in the day...just give me the controller

@JMichael

I have the same problem. Common tags are not shown for any of my old notes when multiple are selected. Newly generated notes do behave as expected, common tags are indeed shown. I am on Yosemite 10.10.3. Thanks!

• Level 5*

BUG REPORT:  Pressing RETURN Key Causes Note to Scroll in Wrong Direction

EN Mac Ver 6.0.10, 6.10.11 (NEW Bug)

Mac OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

I must make a correction to my previous report on this issue.

I am now experiencing this issue.

When you have a Note whose length exceeds the length of the Note window, and you enter text and press RETURN at the bottom of the Note, the Note window scrolls down showing the upper portion of the Note, and hiding the text and RETURN that was just entered.  IOW, it scrolls in the wrong direction when a RETURN is entered.

Quotes from the return key causes page to scroll down thread:

I recorded a screencast of the problem for support:

http://screencast.com/t/gUJPxn0U

Worth pointing out the only scrolling I did was right at the start to show how long the note was, the rest of the screen movement was down to the bug.

This must be a user environment dependent issue.

I'm running EN Mac 6.0.11 on Mavericks (10.9.5), and a RETURN works normally, as expected.

I stand corrected.  I am now seeing the same, incorrect behavior. 

• Level 5*

Archived