New Evernote for Windows 5.8.6 GA

Justin Street

A new version of Evernote for Windows is available. You can download it here

5.8.6 Release Notes:

New:

• Unlimited monthly uploads with Evernote Premium

• Premium subscribers can now keep more notes, more photos, and more files in Evernote without worrying about space

• Introducing Evernote Plus

• A new subscription tier that gives you many of the fundamentals to unlock more productivity. 1GB of monthly uploads, offline notebooks, mobile passcode, and emailing into Evernote

Presentation Mode

• Checkboxes and encrypted text are displayed correctly

• Horizontal rules automatically become screen breaks

More Improvements

• Tags from a shared notebook disappear from your account when you leave the notebook

• Fixed numerous bugs and stability issues

Enjoy!

• Evernote Expert

A new version of Evernote for Windows is available. You can download it here

5.8.6 Release Notes:

New:

• Unlimited monthly uploads with Evernote Premium

• Premium subscribers can now keep more notes, more photos, and more files in Evernote without worrying about space

• Introducing Evernote Plus

• A new subscription tier that gives you many of the fundamentals to unlock more productivity. 1GB of monthly uploads, offline notebooks, mobile passcode, and emailing into Evernote

Presentation Mode

• Checkboxes and encrypted text are displayed correctly

• Horizontal rules automatically become screen breaks

More Improvements

• Tags from a shared notebook disappear from your account when you leave the notebook

• Fixed numerous bugs and stability issues

Enjoy!

How to download Beta Links for Offline installation? I am a Beta tester, and i have configured Evernote client to note me of Beta updates.. But, i have a slow connection.. and i also use on multiple machines. I want to know, when a Beta release is offered by Evernote, how to find the direct download link, so that i can download the Beta File Offline and install seperately, and also use the same beta file for multiple machines, saving bandwidth and also lost bandwidth due to broken downloads and time outs? For instance : I can see this - 

Evernote for Windows 5.8.6.7519 GA Release Notes : 

Where do i find the set up for this version online? Is this found in the Evernote Beta groups or hosted elsewhere? 

I installed 5.8.6 GA yesterday and it is crashing on me every time I start to use it.

Where it failed for me is when I clicked on the "Reminder" icon on a note to change the reminder date. I'm not sure if that's just coincidence, or if that is the actual trigger.

It doesn't happen every time I click reminder, but all three times it crashed that was what I was doing.

Here's a log snippet from when it crashes. Not sure how significant this is but the last activity logged before the crash is retrieving related content.

---------------

Evernote for Windows 5.8.6.7519 (275519) Public

User: mackiest

Memory: 46.2MB

Created: 2015/05/04 07:26:04

---

Bootstrap info: loadedFresh

<bootstrap_info><profile name="Evernote"><settings account_email_domain="m.evernote.com" cardscanUrl="https://cscan.evernote.com/cardagain"enable_facebook_sharing="1" enable_gift_subscriptions="1" enable_google="1" enable_linkedin_sharing="1" enable_shared_notebooks="1" enable_single_notesharing="1" enable_sponsored_accounts="1" enable_support_tickets="1" enable_twitter_sharing="1" marketing_url="https://evernote.com" service_host="www.evernote.com" support_url="https://evernote.com/contact/support/"/></profile></bootstrap_info>

---

07:22:34 [6192] * Retrieved 7 cached related content items for note 47768

07:22:46 [6820] Finding related content for note 47768

07:22:46 [6820] * Retrieved 7 cached related content items for note 47768

07:22:47 [6820] Finding related content for note 47547

07:22:47 [10300] 0% Connecting to www.evernote.com/edam/note/s7

07:22:51 [6820] * Retrieved from server 8 related content items for note 47547

Log opened on 2015/05/04 07:24:08 (UTC-6:00)

07:24:08 [11104] Command line: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote\Evernote.exe" /Hide 

07:24:08 [11104] Evernote for Windows 5.8.6.7519 (275519) Public

07:24:08 [11104] Common Editor 8 ()

07:24:08 [11104] Client info: Evernote Windows/275519; Windows/6.1.7601 Service Pack 1;
  • Level 5*

Oh gee golly whiz! Typing in the title and then hitting Tab takes us to the note body! Huzzah! Huzzah! Huzzah!

Still got random tags from old notebooks floating around...

I got help through support for this (FINALLY). Here's what worked for me:

Haas C. (Evernote Support)
Apr 27, 13:19

Hello there, Devon, thank you for contacting Evernote Support!

To eliminate tags that previously belonged to a shared notebook, please try the following:

Open your Evernote app, then hold down the Control Key on your keyboard and open the Help menu in Evernote. Click on Delete Unused Linked Tags.

Please let me know your results.

Best,

Haas C.

Posted Haas's name because THIS WAS A LIFESAVER.

• Level 5*

When I use the "Add reminder to **Notebook Name**" in the Reminders list for a notebook, the reminder'd note doesn't show up in the Reminders list until after I sync. It creates the note and adds it to the note list, and the note shows that it has a reminder - it just doesn't populate in the Reminders list.

YGqcYZ7gin-3000x3000.jpeg

I am a premium users under the old system and now with the 5.8.6 version, presentation mode dosen't funcition anymore, its sysas I have up upgrade to premium. This is a bug, right?

• Level 5*

Couple more minor things:

Adding tags to notes reloads the entire note. When it's an image-heavy clipping, this is very time-consuming.

d461902278758783eadba955b30220d0.gif

And pasting in a note link adds a space before it. once I flip to another note and go back, that space disappears. (Look at the Weekly Review link on the right in the gif below to see it)

49082037f9b26b58d3a4ad1cd4b0fa6c.gif

• Level 5*

Rawr. Mo' problems to add to the list. I've got some major Reminders sorting issues. It seems like certain notes won't sort while others will? I'm not quite sure what's happening, but some notes will arrange just fine, and some seem stuck in cement, unable to move.

5c0813893a2cdf1c28bf204b902116fa.gif  789d4b906b4973afca1429e8dbccec9c.gif

I installed version 5.8.6.7519 about a week ago and have nothing but problems.  

Every time I go into Evernote to tag my notes the system freezes and says not responding on the top bar, the only way for this to change is to close the program and restart, this didn't ever happen prior to the new software install and is beginning to frustrate me to the point of uninstalling and unsubscribing.

Does anyone have and ideas on this...really don't want to lose Evernote but its leaving me with no option!

Thanks

Every time I go into Evernote to tag my notes the system freezes and says not responding on the top bar, the only way for this to change is to close the program and restart, this didn't ever happen prior to the new software install and is beginning to frustrate me to the point of uninstalling and unsubscribing.

Does anyone have and ideas on this...really don't want to lose Evernote but its leaving me with no option!

Thanks

Exactly the same here since I updated one of my laptops. I have held off updating on my other machines and they still work fine.  Have been trying to find out if I can roll back to a previous version but not sure how or even if it can be done...

I have even seriously considered going back to OneNote...

Graham - I heard that re installing a previous version could be an answer but same here I have no idea how to do that! I have emailed Evernote customer service but the response time and quality is poor! 

Will let you know if I manage to sort this, would appreciate if you get this resolved in knowing the solution.

Thanks

I initially tried 5.8.6.7472 where I still had issues so gone back to 5.8.5.7193 and so far...touch wood not having any problems and have entered and tagged probably 100 tasks.

Hope this helps

Thanks for that. I'm downloading it now. I will report back as soon as I've given it a try...

Incidentally, I've just installed the (now free) OneNote. I used to love that program and only went over to Evernote for the seamless integration with my Android mobile & tablets. It seems a LOT has been improved since I last used it so I'm giving that another go.  I'd forgotten just how much I LOVED being able to move text up and down a list with a single click of the mouse. However, the tagging was an issue for me before and I've yet to see how that has developed...

• Level 5*

FWIW, I archive a copy of each version of EN I install for just this purpose.  Filehippo typically has it, but just in case....

Hi

I've found the following issue

When i view a note normally, the number displays correctly - see Snap1.jpg

When I switch to present view, the numbering is ignored and the numbers reset for each - see Snap2.jpg

Snap1.jpg

post-248273-0-86703900-1431463603_thumb.

Snap2.jpg

post-248273-0-13425400-1431463611_thumb.

I am having frequent crash issues in Windows 8.1 since a couple days ago.  I'm unsure if it is precisely correlated to installing 5.8.6.7519 (275519) Public, but seeing the comments above I realize that might well be it.  Unfortunately for those of us using Windows, at least for Windows 8.1 there were a bunch of updates in the past week which may also have created some issue.  You can see some related discussion on this in another thread: https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/79525-evernote-crashes-in-latest-releases-of-several-clients/page-2

If anyone finds a solution or workaround I'd love to know.  In my case, I get the "Not Responding" thing when doing operations in the Windows 8.1 application.  I have seen it mainly when trying to copy/paste between notes, but that is not definitive as a cause.  So far, closing the Windows app (say "yes" when it warns you), canceling the attempt by Windows to "resolve the issue" then restarting the app (from a pinned icon in the Windows 8.1 task bar--I only use Desktop mode) it comes right back, and my last operation is complete.  Takes about 15 seconds.  Definitely a PIA but is the best approach I have so far.  Considering opening a ticket (I'm premium) based on advice in the other thread, but want to see a more repeatable scenario otherwise I expect I will be told to reinstall.

Archived