Alister

"English" = American English. Could you kindly cater for UK English?

Idea

It's great having spelling checker but this means a lot of red under words that are not spelt the American way.

Could you please provide the option of English UK under personal settings and provide functionality for UK English spellings?

Many thanks.

• Like 2

18 replies to this idea

Haven't tested this out on the web version,  but my spellcheck used to flag up things like 'colour' and 'ise' words - I just used "Add to Dictionary" to make it go away.  Agreed it would be rather nice to have 'proper' English spellings hereabouts,  but I fear the whole world is going to text speak which is often far wurse...

Haven't tested this out on the web version,  but my spellcheck used to flag up things like 'colour' and 'ise' words - I just used "Add to Dictionary" to make it go away.  Agreed it would be rather nice to have 'proper' English spellings hereabouts,  but I fear the whole world is going to text speak which is often far wurse...

4 shr

• Like 1

Omg I know right. Most English speaking countries do not use the American version. We're in the majority! I'm from NZ so we use the proper (UK/Commonwealth) spelling but it can get confusing with being exposed to American spelling on the internet. It would be great to have the confirmation of proper spelling 

• Like 1

I'm a learned English speaker from Europe, so I have the choice. I choose nether American or internet troll English. British is still most classy, and I don't like to be confused about whether I might be wrong all the time. So in name of all Europeans, soon-to-be non-Europeans, Australians, New Zealanders, Indians, and pretty much anyone who wants to learn English as a second language without sounding like a troll, please Evernote, put a proper spelling checker on this thing.

+1

This thread is two years old. It now has six contributors and 4 votes... If you're going to bother writing a comment, maybe also vote up the idea... :|

On 2/20/2017 at 2:25 PM, Reinebo said:

British is still most classy

??? This is sarcasm, right?

On 2/20/2017 at 2:25 PM, Reinebo said:

English as a second language without sounding like a troll

It's possible to sound like a troll in any language (or dialect, which is more to the point here). And let's not forget the fact that not all people who learn English as a second language learn UK English (consider people from Mexico who emigrate to the US).

17 hours ago, Tim-tecset said:

If you're going to bother writing a comment, maybe also vote up the idea... :|

It's also possible to post an opposing opinion here; surely people who do wouldn't upvote the request.

Despite all that, it's a fair request, and I've upvoted it, even though I am evidently an classless American who sounds like a troll.

• Like 1

Haha, God I was pissed off when I wrote that. The troll part was meant about spelling mistakes and not about American English, like where I wrote nether instead of neither. I didn't mean to talk down on American English. Nonetheless, UK English sounds - and definitely reads - more classy. Don't take it personal. As a European I am conditioned to perceive it that way. 

It's funny that you point out that not everybody who learns English as a second language learns UK English. My point was actually to counter the general American belief that all English learners learn US English. Little clash of perceptions here.. 

Nonetheless, thanks for upvoting. Whatever it be, it makes no sense that there is no UK English available on such an international platform as Evernote. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, jefito said:

@Reinebo -- what do you say we just gang up on the Canadians? :) 

I resemble that remark :)

As Canadians working for a US firm, we were translating between our US and UK counterparts
I recall one phone meeting when the UK members asked to schedule again in a fortnight.  There was a silence which we assumed was the US members looking up the meaning

A vote for Canadian English

• Like 1

@DTLow No fear. Where I live -- Maine -- borders on Canada, and we have a large French-Canadian heritage, plus a fair amount of Canadian tourists in the summer. Canada's interesting -- it has both French, UK English, and American English as influences. If things get too crazy here in the US, Canada's where I'm heading...

6 minutes ago, csihilling said:

Eh?

Touche'. Thought about adding that, after I'd already posted.

• Like 1

I lived in England for a couple years. Initially, I thought many of the British words were the same as American words.

Boy, was I wrong!

All mouth and no trousers
Argy-bargy
Bang to rights
Bent as a nine-bob note
Chuffed
Conk
Corker
Damp Squib
Doofer
Earwig
Eating Irons
Fortnight
Gaffer
Gutted
Go to Spare
Hard Cheese
Honk
Jock
Joe Bloggs
Knees up
Know One’s Onions
Lag
Nob
Numpty
Odds and Sods
Old Bill
Paddy
Paste
Penny-dreadful
***** someone’s pitch (even Evernote won't accept this one)
Richard the Third (not Shakespeare)
Rozzer
Skive
Skint
Spawny
Steaming
Take the mickey
Tosh
Wag off

If I didn't check the URL I'd think I was in my local pub...:D

- although I live in Wales so there's a lot of even weirder words going on here...friends are 'butty' and getting near to the fire (or a close personal -and warm- friend) in the cold weather is 'cooching' (spelt cwtching)

• Like 2

Upvoted.  How hard can it be to add in a UK dictionary - even if only on the desktop client?  US spellings are wrong in many situations and using them inappropriately.