Introducing Evernote for Apple Watch

gbarry

Idea

36 replies to this idea

• Level 5

I have problems with the evernote app on the watch disappearing - I just see a dark circle where it was before.  Also, will the watch app enable glances?  Other less robust apps (mlb at bat) have it and it would be very helpful to have evernote in glances.

Hi,

Sorry to hear about your issue. If you've recently updated your Evernote app (7.7.7 was released on June 12th) and your watch is set to automatically update, it may be in the process of updating. If the issue doesn't resolve itself, consider toggling the app off and then on again within the Apple Watch app on your phone. If that doesn't work, rebooting your watch should help.

What type of information would be helpful to you in a "glance"?

Cheers,

Chuck

• Level 5

It would be great to be able to zoom using the digital cown and pan using your finger and dragging, like you can with the photo album app. Example of a table, too small to really use, is attached (screenshot of Apple Watch).

Thanks!

Thanks for the feedback!

One of the things I was most interested in exploring once I got my Apple Watch was Evernote, because I rely on it heavily. For a first test, I chose something relatively simple: a shopping list for the grocery store, with checkboxes. I created a list at home, using my iPhone, and headed out to the market. When I arrived, I brought up Evernote on the watch and quickly found the shopping list. Yay! I started checking things off as I moved through the aisles, happy that I didn't have to fumble with my phone while grabbing things off shelves. Then the problems started.

My wife, as she often does, messaged me some additional items to pick up. I copied and pasted them from her message and added the checkboxes in Evernote on my phone, which is usually what I do to simplify things. But no matter what I tried, I was not able to get the watch to sync with the updated document on the iPhone. I forced a refresh on the phone, quit and restarted the app on the watch and the phone, but nothing helped. Then it got worse, because the watch and iphone versions of this list became more and more out of sync. Anything I checked off on the watch did not get checked off on the phone, and vice-versa. I now had two competing lists, with differing opinions on what was in my cart and what was not. I finally gave up and finished the task using my phone. So, it looks like there might still be some work to be done integrating the iphone app and the watch. My expectation is that the watch is just an extension of the phone, so anything that changes on the phone will immediately be reflected on the watch. That does not appear to be the case. 

Anyone who has an apple watch has to appreciate glances. Instead of tapping the crown to get into the app palette & finding the tiny Evernote app & tapping that (assuming you actually get the Evernote & not whatever is next to it), you just swipe up from the watch face & get immediately into the most recently edited note. Best example: I have a shop list note I constantly update. At the grocery store this would be the easiest way to access that note. Swipe up - there it is.

One of the things I was most interested in exploring once I got my Apple Watch was Evernote, because I rely on it heavily. For a first test, I chose something relatively simple: a shopping list for the grocery store, with checkboxes. I created a list at home, using my iPhone, and headed out to the market. When I arrived, I brought up Evernote on the watch and quickly found the shopping list. Yay! I started checking things off as I moved through the aisles, happy that I didn't have to fumble with my phone while grabbing things off shelves. Then the problems started.

My wife, as she often does, messaged me some additional items to pick up. I copied and pasted them from her message and added the checkboxes in Evernote on my phone, which is usually what I do to simplify things. But no matter what I tried, I was not able to get the watch to sync with the updated document on the iPhone. I forced a refresh on the phone, quit and restarted the app on the watch and the phone, but nothing helped. Then it got worse, because the watch and iphone versions of this list became more and more out of sync. Anything I checked off on the watch did not get checked off on the phone, and vice-versa. I now had two competing lists, with differing opinions on what was in my cart and what was not. I finally gave up and finished the task using my phone. So, it looks like there might still be some work to be done integrating the iphone app and the watch. My expectation is that the watch is just an extension of the phone, so anything that changes on the phone will immediately be reflected on the watch. That does not appear to be the case. 

Yes, this was my experience as well. I am trialling the free version with a view to going for one of the paid versions, and the main reason I am interested in Evernote is because of the integration between Phone and Watch. Notes appear to sync without issues between my Windows 8 Desktop and my iphone6, but I setup three lists, typing them out on my PC. The phone reflects the three lists perfectly but only one of the lists shows on my watch. When I go into the other two lists, the heading is there but the note itself is blank. These are very simple lists with only checkboxes or text and no foreign or unusual characters.

Bonjour, 

Pourquoi ai-je uniquement 5 notes qui s'affichent sur ma montre Apple Watch ?

&

Pourquoi le nombre de caractère par notes est-il limité ?

Merci.

-----

Hello, 

Why do I have only 5 notes in my Apple Watch ?

&

Why the number of caracters is limited ?

Thx

Hello everyone. 

After months of usage of Evernote With Apple Watch what's missing is pretty clear. 

First Of all : accessibility to normal functions like scroll The notebooks And see what's inside

second : possibility to put The app into Glances. 

Is a real update finally here?

thx

• Level 5
On October 19, 2016 at 7:50 AM, St0mpy said:

I don't know if you'll see this or not, but Evernote is completely broken on Apple Watch OS3 and it has been since release. Is Evernote aware of this, and are you working on a solution?

Updating to iOS 10.1 and watchOS 3.1 fixes the search crashing issue in the Watch app.

Thanks,
Chuck

I have downloaded the evernote app to use in conjunction with my Apple Watch.  When I first started using it there were no issues.  Then it started crashing every time I opened it on my watch.  The app remained working just fine and syncing with the computer.  With the latest update it doesn't crash anymore, but the notes will no longer show.  When I click into the note I want the screen changes as if it is opening but nothing appears.  The idea of this working seamlessly is very intriguing and worth the money if it were to actually worked.    

Hi guys. Is there a way to specify which Notebook a note or audio note created on the Apple Watch will go into? It seems that the recordings go into the default notebook? Ideally, I'l like to select another Notebook because I have a Notebook I have shared with my Executive Assistant that I use to delegate tasks to her; but I also have my main Personal Notebook where I capture ideas and notes for myself. It currently seems that if I want the ability to create notes/audio notes and have them go into the shared folder with my EA, I'll have to make that folder my default Notebook? Is that correct? If so, that's a bummer because then that folder will get cluttered up with all my other notes that are meant only for me — and these will then have to be moved across into my Personal Notebook, which kills the efficiency I'm looking for. Ideally I'd love the ability to specify a different folder that is the 'Default for Apple Watch' so that these notes go to the EA, not into my Personal Notebook... or... perhaps pop up a screen asking me to tap on the folder I want the note to go into (and only list recent notebooks, perhaps?). Thoughts? Suggestions? 

The Watch app is useless and needs a update, you cannot see your reminders or shortcut notes, also creating a audio note cannot be played back on the Apple Watch?

Seriously guys how this app passed QA with the Watch OS4 update is beyond comprehension. It’s a dead app that needs updating.....use the BEAR app why is Evernote so behind? I want to use the Apple Watch app but it literally sucks. 

On 10/5/2017 at 5:04 PM, ISX.Architect said:

Iwatch complication for Evernote does not seem to work.  It’s in the list as available to add to a watch face, but it doesn’t actually load and cannot select it...

works as an app in the dock, but it should be quickly accessible as a complication as well...

You can only select the complication, when configuring the watchface on your watch. Doesn’t work when you try to configure on the iPhone.

• Level 5

Just received my Apple Watch yesterday, and I'm trying to figure out the formatting of To-Dos on the Watch app.  

I have an "Errands" note in my standard Evernote.  It's a series of checkboxes separated by headers (freetext without checkboxes).  e.g.

Groceries

[] A

[] B

[] C

Hardware Store

[] D

[] E

[] F

Yet when I view the note on the Watch, all I see is the checkboxes, no headers.  It's a single list from A-F.  How can I format my Evernotes so that I can have several lists of checkboxes with freetext inbetween?  

Thanks,

Chris

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your feedback. This is currently a limitation of the Evernote for Apple Watch app to just show interactive check boxes. We'll consider enhancing this in an upcoming release. Meanwhile, you could create an "Errands" notebook with individual notes with checkboxes. That would work for the Watch, but may not be the best for your iPhone usage.

Cheers,

Chuck

Hi GBarry

Got my Apple Watch today and went to work trying to get the Evernote Watch app to work.

Currently it tells me it's loading on my iPhone - keeps spinning.

The icon appears on the watch but spins when i hit it.

Possibly this is because I'm using the latest EN iOS beta. I downloaded the App Store version too but nothing changed.

Any thoughts?

Best

JohnP

It's all that I had hoped for except for one major thing. I get only a few seconds to dictate the note before the screen goes blank. When it does, the note is lost with no means of recovery. Some apps open for a much longer time. Is there a way to dictate longer notes -- say, 20 seconds or more -- into Evernote's Apple Watch app?

Hi,

I love Evernote and use it to manage everything in my life - and the apple watch app is great; haven't had any functionality issues getting notes to load etc. 

I have my grocery list of ToDo's on Evernote desktop app (native OS X) and this note is a shortcut.  I couldn't easily access my grocery list via Apple Watch app since I don't have shortcut's avail and it's not a recent search in iPhone (I never opened the iPhone app before starting the grocery shop).

To solve this, the feature I would really love is a quick way to get to the notes saved to my Shortcuts. Is that something that could be added to the next release?  Notes that I have explicitly added to shortcuts effectively serve as bookmarks, which are notes that I really want quick access too.

As a suggestion, when I hit the search tab, maybe one of the Table item's should be "Shortcuts", and if I tap that it takes me to the shortcuts?

FYI - voice search works fine, but for note titles and names that are complicated and created in a way / structure bespoke to me it doesn't work very well.  Shortcuts bridge this gap.

Thanks!

• Level 5

Hi GBarry

Got my Apple Watch today and went to work trying to get the Evernote Watch app to work.

Currently it tells me it's loading on my iPhone - keeps spinning.

The icon appears on the watch but spins when i hit it.

Possibly this is because I'm using the latest EN iOS beta. I downloaded the App Store version too but nothing changed.

Any thoughts?

Best

JohnP

Hi,

Due to some limitations in the Apple Watch, I recommend only having the App Store version of the Evernote app installed when you enable Evernote on your Watch. We've made a change for upcoming beta releases that should help fix issues of the Watch pointing to different versions of Evernote installed on your phone. (Please note that this will only affect beta users.)

As the Watch communicates with your iPhone, there may be some extended load times. I'm seeing this in several apps as well. As we didn't have physical devices in our possession to test with, we'll be addressing performance in upcoming releases based on real-world users' feedback.

Cheers

• Level 5

It's all that I had hoped for except for one major thing. I get only a few seconds to dictate the note before the screen goes blank. When it does, the note is lost with no means of recovery. Some apps open for a much longer time. Is there a way to dictate longer notes -- say, 20 seconds or more -- into Evernote's Apple Watch app?

Hi,

Thanks for trying Evernote for Apple Watch!

The amount of time the app stays active is dependent on wrist position and other factors determined by Apple. If you're seeing other apps allow longer times, please advise which ones. We'll attempt to address this as best we can in future releases.

Cheers

• Level 5

Hi,

I love Evernote and use it to manage everything in my life - and the apple watch app is great; haven't had any functionality issues getting notes to load etc. 

I have my grocery list of ToDo's on Evernote desktop app (native OS X) and this note is a shortcut.  I couldn't easily access my grocery list via Apple Watch app since I don't have shortcut's avail and it's not a recent search in iPhone (I never opened the iPhone app before starting the grocery shop).

To solve this, the feature I would really love is a quick way to get to the notes saved to my Shortcuts. Is that something that could be added to the next release?  Notes that I have explicitly added to shortcuts effectively serve as bookmarks, which are notes that I really want quick access too.

As a suggestion, when I hit the search tab, maybe one of the Table item's should be "Shortcuts", and if I tap that it takes me to the shortcuts?

FYI - voice search works fine, but for note titles and names that are complicated and created in a way / structure bespoke to me it doesn't work very well.  Shortcuts bridge this gap.

Thanks!

Thanks for using Evernote for Apple Watch, and thanks for your feedback! We'll consider that for future releases.

Cheers

Just received my Apple Watch yesterday, and I'm trying to figure out the formatting of To-Dos on the Watch app.  

I have an "Errands" note in my standard Evernote.  It's a series of checkboxes separated by headers (freetext without checkboxes).  e.g.

Groceries

[] A

[] B

[] C

Hardware Store

[] D

[] E

[] F

Yet when I view the note on the Watch, all I see is the checkboxes, no headers.  It's a single list from A-F.  How can I format my Evernotes so that I can have several lists of checkboxes with freetext inbetween?  

Thanks,

Chris

I have problems with the evernote app on the watch disappearing - I just see a dark circle where it was before.  Also, will the watch app enable glances?  Other less robust apps (mlb at bat) have it and it would be very helpful to have evernote in glances.

Is there a size limit on the notes that are shown on the Apple Watch? I have a text file broken into paragraphs that shows fine on the iPhone but on my Apple Watch, the formatting is lost and I only get about 2.5 watch screens worth of it which is about 1/5 of the note. I can't find any mention of a size limit.

• Level 5

OK, thanks for quick reply.  Will look forward to future enhancements as the app develops!

Chris

Hi Chris,

I hope you're still enjoying your Apple Watch.

We added the functionality discussed earlier in the thread for notes that have plain text, a series of check boxes, etc. in an earlier release, but it broke in 7.7.6. We just pushed out version 7.7.7 with a fix to this. Please let me know what you think.

Cheers,

Chuck

• Level 5

Quick one:

Can Evernote be added to the 'Glances' list?

Doesn't seem to be included in the Glances apps list.

I can open it 'manually' with the crown.

Cheers.

Hi,

We don't currently have a Glance built into the app, but we're considering it for a future release.

Thanks for the feedback.

Cheers,

Chuck

• Level 5

Is there a size limit on the notes that are shown on the Apple Watch? I have a text file broken into paragraphs that shows fine on the iPhone but on my Apple Watch, the formatting is lost and I only get about 2.5 watch screens worth of it which is about 1/5 of the note. I can't find any mention of a size limit.

Hi,

The Apple Watch app currently returns approximately the first 3k of a note. However, if we encounter a character that cannot be rendered or a <div> statement, the snippet will be truncated.

We're looking at ways to increase the length of note available to display while not slowing the app down.

Cheers,

Chuck

Hi,

The Apple Watch app currently returns approximately the first 3k of a note. However, if we encounter a character that cannot be rendered or a <div> statement, the snippet will be truncated.

We're looking at ways to increase the length of note available to display while not slowing the app down.

Cheers,

Chuck

Thanks for the speedy answer. Please keep working on that. I would love to keep my gym workouts on my Watch so I don't have to keep looking at my phone. I have an 8 week split in one note. I guess I'll have to cut and paste it into 1 week increments for now.

Archived