Jump to content
Erowan

ANSWERED Red Exclamation Mark - Sync Failure

Recommended Posts

Hi there, 

 

Running into an issue where Evernote has not synced for days.

 

Activity log says this:

22:33:37 [1700] Client synchronization finished, status: failed
22:33:37 [1700] * error: Sync failed due to unexpected problem server side
 
What can I do to resolve this issue? This happens despite multiple restarts.

Share this post


Link to post

Additionally, I have now uninstalled Evernote and reinstalled it.

 

I moved the EXB to the desktop, uninstalled, reinstalled and Evernote successfully grabbed all my cloud-stored data. However, when I replaced the EXB file with my local saves the same issue came back.

Share this post


Link to post

Resolved it. 

 

Exported notes that had not synced by sorting in list view. 

Uninstalled Evernote.

Reinstalled Evernote.

Imported exported notes.

 

Hope this helps others with similar issues.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Evernote sync exclamation mark in Windows computers

The best solution I found, un-install your Windows Evernote Plus client 

Delete
C:\users\YourNameHere\AppData\Local\Evernote
C:\users\YourNameHere\AppData\Local\EvernoteNW
C:\users\YourNameHere\AppData\LocalLow\Evernote

and re-install it, is the fastest and painless !!!

P.S.

For me, it happened when I manually aborted a sync !!!

Solution for Windows 7 Pro. 64Bit.

JJMP

Share this post


Link to post

Or one can use Revo Uninstaller to completely remove EN and then reinstall.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, JJMP said:

The best solution I found, un-install your Windows Evernote Plus client 

This solution has worked for me when I got my self caught up in a corrupted app problem.
I didn't use anything complicated - just moved the app to Trash (Mac)

Warning - the reinstall does not include local notebooks.

Share this post


Link to post

Reinstalling Evernote has never been a simple task for me. My SSD boot device doesn't have room for it, and installing it on my HDD only works in Windows 7 compatibility mode. Then I have to trace all references to Evernote paths in the registry to make them point to drive E:.I don't doubt reinstalling it works, but the problem would appear to be with database connections that surely would be easier to fix than reinstalling the program.

 

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/24/2016 at 4:23 PM, csihilling said:

If you are referring to a fix for the red exclamation mark, before you consider re-installing try clicking on sync while holding the Ctrl key while in all notes context.  This should display the notes that are the issue.  You can then modify/work with them to get them to sync.

This solution workd for me. Thanks csihilling!
I was able to locate the one web clipping that did not synch due to an old upload quota problem.

I did have to delete the clipping and visit the site to clip it again. After that it solved the red synch problem sign.
Glad it was only one clipping, doing too many manualy would be a pain.

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/23/2016 at 2:23 PM, csihilling said:

If you are referring to a fix for the red exclamation mark, before you consider re-installing try clicking on sync while holding the Ctrl key while in all notes context.  This should display the notes that are the issue.  You can then modify/work with them to get them to sync.

Hey csihilling - this worked for me too. I was going crazy trying to figure out WHY I had a sync red exclamation mark. Evernote was syncing okay, but kept putting that mark in front of my face. Thanks to you I easily found the offending note and deleted it (wasn't that important in the first place). All became right with the world. Thanks again for your timely input. 

Share this post


Link to post

For all the people for who the control trick didn't work it still might not be necessary to uninstall and reinstall.

Signing out of evernote desktop and then signing back in worked for me. 

Hope that helps someone!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/24/2016 at 11:23 AM, csihilling said:

If you are referring to a fix for the red exclamation mark, before you consider re-installing try clicking on sync while holding the Ctrl key while in all notes context.  This should display the notes that are the issue.  You can then modify/work with them to get them to sync.

Confirmed - works perfectly.

I got an issues with one note in my list. The problem is - it was not shown within the list of notes until I clicked the sync button while holding CTRL. 

Just deleted the note to fix the sync.

Thank you for the advice.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

You are welcome.

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/24/2016 at 2:23 PM, csihilling said:

If you are referring to a fix for the red exclamation mark, before you consider re-installing try clicking on sync while holding the Ctrl key while in all notes context.  This should display the notes that are the issue.  You can then modify/work with them to get them to sync.

I was looking on how to fix the red exclamation mark and your solution worked for me as well. Thanks.

I have another issue. I do not see a notification window popup after snyc is done. I used to get confirmation before in bottom right corner after sync was successful. There was a setting in sync options where one could enable this, but I don't see that setting anymore in version 6.1.2.2292. What am I missing?

Edit: Looks like the setting was removed in version 6 because many were finding it annoying. It's probably better this way.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

You got it, the sync notification was removed in V6.  Glad the sync failure fix worked for you.

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/30/2016 at 11:51 AM, ils said:

For all the people for who the control trick didn't work it still might not be necessary to uninstall and reinstall.

Signing out of evernote desktop and then signing back in worked for me. 

Worked for me; thanks!  The "control trick" didn't help. 

Share this post


Link to post

Had the same problem. I found that one invalid character, in my case "(  )", was the culprit. I removed them, it then sync'd fine.

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/24/2016 at 0:23 PM, csihilling said:

If you are referring to a fix for the red exclamation mark, before you consider re-installing try clicking on sync while holding the Ctrl key while in all notes context.  This should display the notes that are the issue.  You can then modify/work with them to get them to sync.

This worked very well for me. When I did this--one note came up. I exported it as a pdf--then deleted it. Then the red dot with exclamation mark disappeared.

Thanks so much!

 

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, MyTwoCents said:

This worked very well for me. When I did this--one note came up. I exported it as a pdf--then deleted it. Then the red dot with exclamation mark disappeared.

Thanks so much!

 

You are welcome.

Share this post


Link to post

Unfortunately, neither of the solutions posted here addressed the issue. But I was able to resolve it by looking at the Activity Log.

So my reco is to follow @csihilling's advice and try Ctrl+sync first. In my case, this didn't work because the issue wasn't with a specific note, but with a notebook itself.

To figure out the root case (so to speak), I simply pulled up the Activity Log that conveniently provided this info:

03:30:57 [4676] 89% Updating server items
03:30:57 [4676] 89% Creating server notebook "<notebook name>"  (italics mine)
03:30:57 [4676] 89% EDAMSystemException: errorCode=RATE_LIMIT_REACHED message="DuplicateNotebookLimiter"

And, sure enough, there were two notebooks with the same name. Not sure how that happened, but simply renaming one of them did the trick. 

I'd say uninstalling the client should be a last resort option, as you can check the Activity Log first to see if there's an easier solution.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/24/2017 at 3:42 AM, jpwire said:

Unfortunately, neither of the solutions posted here addressed the issue. But I was able to resolve it by looking at the Activity Log.

So my reco is to follow @csihilling's advice and try Ctrl+sync first. In my case, this didn't work because the issue wasn't with a specific note, but with a notebook itself.

To figure out the root case (so to speak), I simply pulled up the Activity Log that conveniently provided this info:

03:30:57 [4676] 89% Updating server items
03:30:57 [4676] 89% Creating server notebook "<notebook name>"  (italics mine)
03:30:57 [4676] 89% EDAMSystemException: errorCode=RATE_LIMIT_REACHED message="DuplicateNotebookLimiter"

And, sure enough, there were two notebooks with the same name. Not sure how that happened, but simply renaming one of them did the trick. 

I'd say uninstalling the client should be a last resort option, as you can check the Activity Log first to see if there's an easier solution.

Thanks!

None of the other methods worked for me either. I located the issue in the Activity Log and finally got rid of the problem that's been nagging me for the last 2 weeks

Share this post


Link to post

What would be the Mac desktop equivalent of the Windows control-click remedy? Neither control nor command has any effect on my Mac.

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/24/2016 at 2:23 PM, csihilling said:

If you are referring to a fix for the red exclamation mark, before you consider re-installing try clicking on sync while holding the Ctrl key while in all notes context.  This should display the notes that are the issue.  You can then modify/work with them to get them to sync.

csihilling, I was about 2 minutes away from uninstalling, and this simple trick saved me all of that and solved my problem. THANK YOU, SIR!

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/24/2017 at 9:30 AM, J.R. Pitts said:

csihilling, I was about 2 minutes away from uninstalling, and this simple trick saved me all of that and solved my problem. THANK YOU, SIR!

You are welcome.h

Share this post


Link to post

Before you embark into some major project, check the website...  this is what I found out in my case.

 

Evernote Service is unavailable

Possible reasons:

  • We may be performing regular system maintenance (typically Wednesday evenings, US Pacific time)
  • We may be experiencing unexpected problems that require a brief outage

In either case, we are working to restore access to the Evernote Service as quickly as possible.

Desktop versions of Evernote will continue to work, but will be unable to sync until service is restored.

This page will automatically reload every 60 seconds

 

Share this post


Link to post

In my case, the problem was that I needed to install an Evernote update. Try signing out and then Help -> Check for Updates (the signing out step may not be necessary), and then signing in again.

Once I logged out I couldn't sign in (it says can't connect to server). This led me to the post below which solved the problem. I hope it helps someone else.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

not able to sync..activity log shows this error

10:17:32 [INFO   ] [6444] [5336] 100% Cannot commit transaction "writeNotes", error: CANT_INSERT_ATTRS_TABLE (Can't save uid=1424, error: database disk image is malformed (11))
10:17:32 [INFO   ] [6444] [9128] Client synchronization finished, status: failed
 

Share this post


Link to post

not able to synch...activity log shows -

10:17:32 [INFO   ] [6444] [5336] 100% Cannot commit transaction "writeNotes", error: CANT_INSERT_ATTRS_TABLE (Can't save uid=1424, error: database disk image is malformed (11))
10:17:32 [INFO   ] [6444] [9128] Client synchronization finished, status: failed
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/5/2016 at 10:19 AM, JJMP said:

Evernote sync exclamation mark in Windows computers

The best solution I found, un-install your Windows Evernote Plus client 

Delete
C:\users\YourNameHere\AppData\Local\Evernote
C:\users\YourNameHere\AppData\Local\EvernoteNW
C:\users\YourNameHere\AppData\LocalLow\Evernote

and re-install it, is the fastest and painless !!!

P.S.

For me, it happened when I manually aborted a sync !!!

Solution for Windows 7 Pro. 64Bit.

JJMP

This is the only solution listed here that worked for me. Thanks JJMP!

Share this post


Link to post
31 minutes ago, boneycur said:

This is the only solution listed here that worked for me. Thanks JJMP!

One caveat, if one has any local backups they need to be exported before any of the deletes.  So

  1. Export any local notebooks
  2. Uninstall the client
  3. Remove the data folders
  4. Reinstall the client
  5. Import any local notebooks

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...