Controlling indentation -- new feature request

I write my notes on Evernote for Windows Desktop.  I write long notes, and I structure the content using indentation.  As a result, I am constantly reaching for the mouse in order to click the "indent" and "outdent" icons in the text editor toolbar.  Are there keyboard shortcuts for these?

I discovered that the tab key inserts four leading spaces but I did not find a way to subtract four spaces (I tried shift + tab, ctrl + tab, etc.).  Using spaces for indentation is less attractive than the "hard" indent you get from the toolbar, but I'd definitely settle for it.  My arm is getting tired of reaching for the mouse!

If there are no keyboard shortcuts for indent and outdent, then please consider this a new feature request!

• Level 5*

There are no keyboard shortcuts (AFAIK) so consider the feature request made.

It may not help at all,  but I tend to use the 'numbered list' and 'bulleted list' buttons to help with layout.  If you create a new bulleted list (forinstance) and add your subject title to the bullet,  then Shift+Enter,  the text keeps the indent and drops one line.  Do that again and type an expansion or explanation for your heading.  Enter (without Shift) then starts another bullet.  Another stops the bullet list and throws you back to the main margin.

In Windows hitting Tab in a bulleted list gets you another level of indent - and see above.

There are no keyboard shortcuts (AFAIK) so consider the feature request made.

It may not help at all,  but I tend to use the 'numbered list' and 'bulleted list' buttons to help with layout.  If you create a new bulleted list (forinstance) and add your subject title to the bullet,  then Shift+Enter,  the text keeps the indent and drops one line.  Do that again and type an expansion or explanation for your heading.  Enter (without Shift) then starts another bullet.  Another stops the bullet list and throws you back to the main margin.

In Windows hitting Tab in a bulleted list gets you another level of indent - and see above.

Thanks for your answer.  I knew about shift-return, and have often used it when making bulleted and numbered lists.  I didn't know about the tab trick -- thanks!  

My main problem with lists is that they sometimes behave badly when you change THEIR indentation level, or modify the way the lists are nested.  The symbols change and the numbers change, sometimes in truly surprising ways.   So I avoid lists except in very short notes.

It would be nice if there was consistency between the effect of tabbing inside a list and that of indenting.

• 1 year later...
  • Level 5*
16 minutes ago, kathleenff said:

I've just switched from a PC to a Mac and find myself searching for the Increase/Decrease Indent buttons that I am accustomed to on my pc.  I have searched and found that there are keyboard shortcuts for this function; however, I firmly believe the buttons should be added to the tools at the top of each note, near the font, formatting, align left, etc buttons that are already there, the way they are on the PC. I can find a button much easier that I can go "Format>Text>Increase Indent" and much easier than I can memorize yet another keyboard shortcut.

Interestingly, I notice those buttons are available at the top of this very note as I type it.  I hope you will consider adding them to the Mac version of Evernote in an update very soon!  If I am somehow missing how to do this myself, please forgive me and tell me how to do it!  I have been using Evernote for years and years and am missing this option quite a bit on the new MacBook.

Thanks!

Hi.  This forum is third-party software, so its features aren't any indication of Evernote's preferences.  If you'd like to propose a new  feature for the MacOS app,  I suggest you head over to the Feedback section where you can make this suggestion as a standalone voteable-on request.  The more folks who click the vote button,  the more likely this is to happen...

• 3 months later...

Perhaps this should be its own request, but I'm wanting to be able to Tab within lists on iOS. Tab, of course, indents the list item, which is fine. But there should be some other set of keystrokes that create a Tab character. Option-Tab seems the best candidate.

• 10 months later...

Archived