How to see Who a note is Shared with?

Greetings,

I would think this is a stupid question, but after much searching I see other people with similar questions but no answers to them.

What I want to know is, "How can I see the list of people shared on a note?"

I need to make sure everyone in our group can see a note, and while it says "Shared with others" I can't get a defined list of who exactly those "others" are.

As a side question somewhat related, I took a note someone posted in a shared NoteBOOK, and moved it to a place that makes more sense for me. It no longer says "Shared with others" at the top.  So does that mean that note is no longer shared, even though I'm not the one that made it?

The whole layout and mechanics of the "shared" system seems very convoluted and confusing to me. 

Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Hi.  

If you go through the sharing process for your note or notebook as though you were about to share it again,  you should see a list of email addresses of the individuals with whom you've shared it.  If you emailed the note URL to others,  then Evernote doesn't have any record of who might have received it,  or to whom those individuals might have passed it on,  so you'd have to rely on your email records for the information.  If you shared a Public link then any search could find the page,  so unless you have some way outside of Evernote to track visitors,  there's no way to know who has seen the content.

And.  If you move a shared note from it's shared-in notebook to one of your own,  then you have an independent 'snapshot' copy of the original which will not be updated,  even if the original is. It's no longer shared,  unless you move it to a shared notebook of your own.  NB that could also happen with your own shared notebooks,  so if you share out,  your sharees could share on to others...

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

See these Evernote Knowledge Base articles:

Greetings,

I would think this is a stupid question, but after much searching I see other people with similar questions but no answers to them.

What I want to know is, "How can I see the list of people shared on a note?"

I need to make sure everyone in our group can see a note, and while it says "Shared with others" I can't get a defined list of who exactly those "others" are.

As a side question somewhat related, I took a note someone posted in a shared NoteBOOK, and moved it to a place that makes more sense for me. It no longer says "Shared with others" at the top.  So does that mean that note is no longer shared, even though I'm not the one that made it?

The whole layout and mechanics of the "shared" system seems very convoluted and confusing to me. 

Thanks!

• Like 1
  • 11 months later...
On 4/21/2015 at 2:12 PM, Draknar said:

That is my general feeling with Evernote sharing features. I tried the Work Chat at some point but it was just... Not very easy to use...

QUESTION: How can I (easily) list ALL notes (and Notebooks) I've shared in Evernote? 

Example of what I'm looking/hoping for a list view with a column 'Shared' which I can then use to order my notes so that shared notes are at the top and I get a COMPLETE view of all notes I've shared.

Preferably that list of notes would show the names/emails of the people I've shared it to under the 'Shared' column OR if I've used a public link it would show the Public link or the word 'Public'.

Is this possible somehow in Evernote? Maybe with a search if not otherwise.

• Level 5
1 hour ago, Vesa Vuorinen said:

QUESTION: How can I (easily) list ALL notes (and Notebooks) I've shared in Evernote? 

To search your account for all notes you have shared, enter the following directly into the Search Bar:
sharedate:*

I have never shared an entire notebook, so I can't verify if this also workds for notebooks.

But, the list of notes will not show who you shared them with.
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, jbenson2 said:
To search your account for all notes you have shared, enter the following directly into the Search Bar:
sharedate:*

I have never shared an entire notebook, so I can't verify if this also workds for notebooks.

But, the list of notes will not show who you shared them with.

That is a cool and useful search feature! Thank you :)

UNFORTUNATELY this search option only shows notes I've shared with a public link. It does not show notes I've shared with permissions (to a certain email address or with the Work Chat.)

• Like 2
  • 3 years later...
On 4/11/2016 at 1:26 PM, Vesa Vuorinen said:

That is a cool and useful search feature! Thank you :)

UNFORTUNATELY this search option only shows notes I've shared with a public link. It does not show notes I've shared with permissions (to a certain email address or with the Work Chat.)

I am wondering this exact same thing. Is there still not a solution for this? ...if so I haven't found it and have been trying for a good hour now.

However I did come across notes being publicly accessible via a public link using sharedate:*. Which was very unpleasing as I have never publicly shared a note on Evernote before. I have only shared notes specifically with email addresses to keep things secure. Finding out the notes were publicly accessible without even knowing I had notes that were publicly accessible is a major security violation.

• Level 5*

Hi.  That's a 3-year-old post but sharing hasn't changed a great deal since.  I keep a 'shared notes' stack for the individual notes and notebooks that I've shared around - partially for my security so I know what I've shared,  and partly for my audience's protection so I don't randomly delete a note that is still in use.

'Public' links are less of a risk than you might think,  because (AFAIK) Evernote's servers are hidden behind a firewall and no-one can find your notes with a search.  True, if someone you trusted with a link gives that URL away to others,  then anyone who saw it would have access.  Links in the style of https://www.evernote.com/shard/s2/nl/xxxxxx/fb0b1f53-4d16-4564-b80a-12345d0dd7dd* would be very difficult to 'find' without being provided with the correct version.  And even if a link were unique to one visitor,  there's nothing to prevent that person printing screenshots or otherwise using non-IT ways of sharing the content.

* Link edited for security!