Search for phone numbers

Hello,

Could you make it possible and meanwhile to suggest any temporarily solution? I use Evernote on my android tablet.

I record phone numbers along names, ie:

56756547, Salina, girl I met on a trip to Laos.

I would like to type "547" in the Evernote search field in order to find this entry. However, since Evernote allows only for partial string search from the beginning, the search doesn't work. Ie, I can search for 567 and it will find it,but not 547.

The problem is that many phone numbers have prefixes, ie: 02056756547 or +8562056756547.

Alternatively, it should be possible to make an unindexed search if the search for an end of a number cannot be implemented. Its better to find it slowly than not at all.

I have seen discussions about it back in 2012. Still not implemented?

• Level 5*

Hi.  The search thing isn't implemented,  but if you use a 'smart' title for your contacts,  an "intitle:<yourword>" search should give you a short list containing the number,  and a Mk 1 eyeball scan will find it instantly.  I try to use three topics - <context/company> - <name> - <number> so in your example I would have used "Laos - Salina - 56756547" as my title.  Any other notes go in the body of the note as usual.  Just a suggestion.

Incidentally this is a public forum (you only have to log in to post) so if that's a real phone number I suggest you edit it, quick!  Or Salina could wind up with a lot of new friends...   :)

• Level 5*

May not help, but if you put dashes in the numbers wherever they might belong, you can search on the elements of the number.  In 1-123-456-7890 all of the elements are searchable.  

Any search you do looks at note titles and note contents.  I think Gaz was giving you a workaround to put some structured information in the title of a note to help you find things.  If all your phone numbers are in one note, this won't help.  But in that case, a Ctrl-F search within that note will find 547 wherever it may be.

Ctrl+f won't work on android, will it? :)

I have already got several notes with many numbers in each. Is there any way to reformat all numbers by inserting a dash before the 3rd digit? Ie: 56246779 to become 56246-779.

And, would it not be possible to ask Evernote developers to index numbers for partial search from the end?

• Level 5*

Hi again - no way that I can think of in Android or desktop to find 'all numbers' and add a dash partway through the string;  if you have some other way to identify phone numbers,  like a 'contacts' tag it would be a manual operation.

As to asking the developers - you already have (effectively) by posting here.  The devs do say they read these threads,  though they don't (often) join in;  if they did decide to change the functionality of phone dialling though it would go through a lot of development and reliability testing - and if it works in Android they'll still have to port something similar to iOS, Mac,  Windows and WP...  it's not likely to be a quick fix (unless they're already working on something - but they don't talk about that either.)

The calling functionality would be most relevant to android and ios, but it was a topic of another thread.

As for the topic, a simple search for a string in a note should be a part of basic functionality. Ctrl+f exists in all editing software since the age of DOS, if not before that.

• Level 5*

Ctrl+f won't work on android, will it? :)

I have already got several notes with many numbers in each. Is there any way to reformat all numbers by inserting a dash before the 3rd digit? Ie: 56246779 to become 56246-779.

And, would it not be possible to ask Evernote developers to index numbers for partial search from the end?

Oops, missed the Android in the OP.  Manual is the only way I know to add the dashes at this point.

Archived