Local notebook won't display after upgrade

colinpritch

Idea

I desperately need some help. I have Evernote on OSX Yosemite via the App Store. A few days ago, I went to update the Evernote, and it did not take (probably a network issue), and I ended up with a Evernote application that was damaged.

So, I redownloaded Evernote. Opened it up, nothing was there. Logged in with my account, and synced. My online notes appeared. But my 1 local notebook is missing. I really need the notebook back.

Looking in ~/Library/Application Support/com.evernote.Evernote/accounts/evernote.com/[random #]/content/ .... and another folder, I can see the PDFs, etc from my local notebook. So, I know I have my content still. (BTW

It looks to me like Evernote moved all my old stuff into a different folder. Maybe. The directory listing of ~/Library/Application Support/com.evernote.Evernote and ~/Library/Application Support/com.evernote.Evernote/accounts/evernote.com/[random#] are slightly similar. Both have an announcements directory, atlas directory, and checkpoint file.

Does anyone know if I can move the files from ~/Library/Application Support/com.evernote.Evernote/accounts/evernote.com/[random#] to  ~/Library/Application Support/com.evernote.Evernote to get back my local notebook?

If not, any ideas how I can get my local notebook back?

Thanks,

Colin

3 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

@Colin:

I know it seems like disaster has struck, but try to remain calm and don't take any rash actions.

I have seen this before with EN Mac that after an update from the Mac App Store -- the Local Notebooks seem to disappear.

But actually, they are still there, just not being detected by the new version of Evernote.

This seems to be mostly an issue with the App Store version, so the best solution is usually to switch to the DirectDL version from Evernote.com

You can try the following, in this order, checking for your lost Local NB after step #1 and Step #2.7:

1. Sign out of EN Mac, restart your Mac, sign back in to EN Mac

2. Re-download & Re-install the Evernote.app (but not your data)
    (this just replaces the EN app and leaves your data in place)
    1. Quit Evernote.app and Helper app in menu
    2. To be safe, backup your entire Evernote data folder.  See Location of Evernote Data Folder for EN Mac.  Previously used locations are listed in  this blog by Christopher Mayo.
    3. Drag Evernote.app to Mac Trash
    4. Restart your Mac
    5. Download EN Mac from the Evernote.com web site
    6. Install EN Mac
    7. Start EN Mac and let it run for at least 1 hour to ensure that all conversions and indexing have completed.
    8. If your lost Local NB does not appear, repeat Step #1.

Report back here if you see anything unusual, and with your progress.

EDIT:  If you are a Premium or Business account owner, you might want to contact Evernote support before taking any actions.  The fastest way is via Support Chat.

See Evernote Chat Support., available business days 7am-7pm US CST. 

(Chat option appears AFTER you click “Continue” on initial “Evernote Support” page.)

Thanks @JMichael. Going to try to fix this tonight. I have everything backed up via Backblaze, and I did notice that there is an Evernote folder missing from my local drive that was in the ~/Library/ folder previously. I am downloading that now from the backup. I may try to place that folder back in the Library folder, download the non-App Store version of EN and see if that works. 

Or I may use the route you outlined. 

I'll reply back once I have a resolution. 

@JMichael

Well, the backup I downloaded turned out just to be 3 or 4 old versions of EN. That turned out to be unnecessary.

I followed your steps, and it worked! Thank you so much!

A minute or so after I logged into the re-downloaded EN, my local notebook was there. You are a life saver. Thank you again.

Archived