Why Evernote doesn't list apps to "edit" PDF (Acrobat, Foxit, Xodo e OfficeSuite)?

Hi,

When I select a PDF file Evernote asks whether I want "edit" or "view" the file.

Choosing edit just list Skitch an Kingsoft Office (the later hasn't even PDF edit capabilities!).

On the other hand, I have installed the apps that can really edit PDFs, as Acrobat, Foxit, Xodo e OfficeSuite.

Why Evernote doesn't list these apps to "edit" a PDF file? Is it possible to include them in Evernote list?

Many thanks,

Cadu

• Level 5*

Hi.  I think this is more an Android question that Evernote.  If you check your apps via Application Manager and look for the Launch by Default button - do Skitch / Kingsoft have that option set for PDF files?  If so,  de-select it.  If that's not the issue,  try uninstalling and reinstalling one of the additional apps to see if it will then appear in your list.  

Many thanks for reply!

Skitch / Kingsoft aren't set "Launch by Default".

I tried, without success:

- Uninstall 3 of the PDF apps (Acrobat, Foxit, PDF Max)

- Restart Android OS

- Re-install the 3 PDF apps again

- Restart Android OS

- Open Evernote note with PDF attachment => Click on PDF => Options presented by Evernote: Edit | View => Choose Edit => List of apps appears (the same Skitch / Kingsoft) 

- The apps Acrobat, Foxit and PDF Max weren't listed by Evernote as apps for "Edit". If I choose "View" they are there, but they are also useless since Evernote won't present the options "Append new" or "Replace" after the editing/changes in the file.

Any other idea why Evernote doesn't list these apps to "edit" a PDF file?

• Level 5*

So.  Much later... I installed the extra apps,  and opened a PDF to Edit.  Automatically opened in Skitch.  Checked Skitch defaults,  they're not selected.  Annotate/ Edit in Evernote goes directly to Skitch without passing Go.  View gives me the option of 8 editors now,  including Skitch.  Chose Foxit (just once) and got Foxit,  but purely in Edit mode.  Tried for a couple of other editors and had the same - although they do have editing options,  they're greyed out when the file is opened for view only.

Annotation / editing now seems tied purely to Skitch.  As a feature request it would be nice if the devs could look at allowing other apps access....

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

So.  Much later... I installed the extra apps,  and opened a PDF to Edit.  Automatically opened in Skitch.  Checked Skitch defaults,  they're not selected.  Annotate/ Edit in Evernote goes directly to Skitch without passing Go.  View gives me the option of 8 editors now,  including Skitch.  Chose Foxit (just once) and got Foxit,  but purely in Edit mode.  Tried for a couple of other editors and had the same - although they do have editing options,  they're greyed out when the file is opened for view only.

Annotation / editing now seems tied purely to Skitch.  As a feature request it would be nice if the devs could look at allowing other apps access....

What, if anything has happened with this issue? Are EN doing anything about it?

The problem has been mentioned many times in this forum and has been around for years without resolution or even comment by EN. I need to be able to properly edit pdf files using my mobile devices and I would to do this without having to save, edit and reload to EN.

If nothing is known to happening then I'll raise it as "Feature Request".

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Hi.  No action to widen access to other document editors that I'm aware of,  though Skitch and Evernote have both had a lot of updates - you may find the internal annotate process is enough if you get the latest version of the app...

Hi.  No action to widen access to other document editors that I'm aware of,  though Skitch and Evernote have both had a lot of updates - you may find the internal annotate process is enough if you get the latest version of the app...

I always have the latest of all my apps installed. I'm well aware of the capabilities of Skitch and it remains an very basic, even "Noddy", mark-up tool that doesn't even being to approach the type of editing I'm looking for. Very disappointing lack of performance from Evernote.  

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I have ezPDF Reader on my Android tablet and this works well for editing pdfs within Evernote.

My usual approach is that I view the note in Evernote that contains the pdf.  I don't edit this note, but just click on the three dots beside the pdf.  A dialog pops up asking whether I want to "Edit" or "View" and I choose Edit, and another asks if I want to use ezPDF or Skitch and I choose the former and do my editing.  Then on closing it asks whether I want to replace the document and I choose replace, and everything stays the same but with a newly edited pdf.

Overall it's pretty seamless and easy.  It's fortunate that I fell into this mode by happenstance because I never would have used Evernote without this functionality.  It's about 80% of my Evernote usage.  (Now reading this thread, I'm worried that this functionality will disappear, but that's another matter.)

I just assumed everyone was doing things this way, but came across this thread as I was trying to get another PDF editor to work this way.  Although I've installed a few, ezPDF is the only one that works like this.  I'd be interested to see if it works for other people too.  If not, all I can say that may be unusual is that I had may have had ezPDF installed before Evernote was installed, whereas the others I installed after Evernote.  Also, btw, this only works when Skitch is installed.  If not, I just get a dialog to install Skitch.

• Like 2

I have ezPDF Reader on my Android tablet and this works well for editing pdfs within Evernote.

My usual approach is that I view the note in Evernote that contains the pdf.  I don't edit this note, but just click on the three dots beside the pdf.  A dialog pops up asking whether I want to "Edit" or "View" and I choose Edit, and another asks if I want to use ezPDF or Skitch and I choose the former and do my editing.  Then on closing it asks whether I want to replace the document and I choose replace, and everything stays the same but with a newly edited pdf.

Overall it's pretty seamless and easy.  It's fortunate that I fell into this mode by happenstance because I never would have used Evernote without this functionality.  It's about 80% of my Evernote usage.  (Now reading this thread, I'm worried that this functionality will disappear, but that's another matter.)

I just assumed everyone was doing things this way, but came across this thread as I was trying to get another PDF editor to work this way.  Although I've installed a few, ezPDF is the only one that works like this.  I'd be interested to see if it works for other people too.  If not, all I can say that may be unusual is that I had may have had ezPDF installed before Evernote was installed, whereas the others I installed after Evernote.  Also, btw, this only works when Skitch is installed.  If not, I just get a dialog to install Skitch.

Yes. Thanks for sharing this. I will probably keep (and pay for) ezPDF.

It looks like I have to eat a small amount of humble pie because ezPDF is recognised by Evernote as a editing tools whereas none of the other apps I've tried are even though the Android OS itself does recognise them. I'm guessing that only ezPDF has been writing to specifically interface other apps rather than just files accessed direct from storage. If this is true then it's the fault of the app developers and not the Evernote team.

• 8 months later...

I also "have" to use ezPDF to do this, but ezPF does not work with google drive...

So I'm using XODO if i have to edit a pdf in Drive and ezPDF if it's from within evernote.

That's on android. 

On windows I use acrobat. (both for local files as for pdfs within evernote; but not for google drive files :-( Adobe only recently allowed dropbox integration. I hope they will add Drive integration too but I think they're trying to get people on their cloud platform. It's pathetic. Their offer is no match for Drive, DropBox or OneDrive...

It's a a nuisance to have to resort to so many applications.

• 4 years later...
23 hours ago, Stephen Morris said:

Okay, 4.5 years later and this is still a problem? I was trying to standardize pdf editing across my devices and find out Foxit won't work. What is the issue? I can open the file in Foxit to view and save a copy, but can't edit?

Same problem here... 

• 3 weeks later...