Samsung Galaxy S6 Evernote camera note not working

I just got a new Samsung Galaxy S6 and am having a repeating problem with the camera feature in Evernote. Here's what's going on (steps and Evernote app responses):

Tap New Note button
Tap Camera button
Freezes
Error message: "Couldn't  open the camera. Many times the only way to fix th is to reset your device."  [only an Exit button is with this error message]

Hit Exit button, then back to new note screen, app message "Picture not captured"

Hit camera icon again (camera imaging appears, you can see an image)

Try to swipe over to the Business Card option

Camera imager goes dark

Hit shutter button. Still the imager is dark. Got the error message: Couldn't  open the camera. Many times the only way to fix th is to reset your device.  [only an Exit button]

Tapped Exit button

This is a 100% fail 100% of the time. Interestingly, I am getting the same problem with a Microsoft product, Office Lens Preview. Like the Evernote camera option, it captures whiteboards and document scans.

I suspect this is an issue with the fact that the new S6 camera is essentially always on (as I understand it) to support their new functionality of pushing the Home button twice, even when the phone screen is off and before security login, where you can take a picture instantly. I love that feature (camera up an ready in 1 second), but I suspect that Evernote and Microsoft Office Lens have a problem with the imager already being activated in the background.

It might not be this at all, but it definitely is a BUG involving this just released phone.

Beyond this problem, Evernote works fantastically on the Samsung Galaxy S6!

• 2 weeks later...

Basically same issue here. Evernote app and widget worked fine on Galaxy S5. Just upgraded to S6. It actually worked for a few days the way I expected. Upon latest restart though:

When select to use Evernote camera, it opens the native Samsung camera app. Settings for Evernote shots aren't available at all. If I take a photo, buttons pop up and I have to select either "Retry" or "OK". Then the app directs you to the note, and you have to select the camera to take a second photo.

When select to use Evernote document camera, it opens the Evernote camera. Snap a photo and save a note just fine. If I try to slide selector from document camera to use regular (non-document) Evernote camera on that screen, get the same error as reported above (freezes then "Couldn't open the camera. Many times the only way to fix this is to reset your device"). Resets have not helped.

ALSO, most frustrating for me, is that the photos taken via Evernote no longer show up in my phone's photo Gallery in the Evernote folder, or any other folder for that matter!! The only way to access them on the phone is via finding the note.

Thanks gazumped. I did create a support ticket, 5 days ago. Have not heard back.

My settings don't include a "use device camera" option.

Settings>General>Camera options include only: Activate multi-shot, Correct orientation, video recording (greyed out), Moleskine notebook, Post-it notes

• 4 weeks later...

Same here, camera freezes when trying to capture a document or business card. Disable Multi-shot doesn't make any difference. Also disabling Quick-start mode (camera setting on S6) doesn't fix it.

Yes, yes... I will send a support request. And, I also would like to see an open dialogue to find a solution as quick as possible. My Evernote 'mobile document scanner' isn't useable right now.

Within a week of my May 30 post, a patch must have been released and auto installed on my phone. The camera and document camera don't cause my app to crash anymore (running Evernote v 7.0.4.1 and Evernote Widget v 3.1.7).

BUT, the photos taken via Evernote are no longer saved to the phone's Gallery AT ALL. The only way to access photos on my phone taken via the app is through Evernote directly. This is not how the app behaved in all previous versions, and I really dislike the new behavior. Will update if I get response.

On iOS you can choose if images are also stored on Camera Roll or not. I like to store document pictures and business cards etc. to Evernote only, and so I prefer not storing them to my pictures as I have to delete those copies afterwards.

Within a week of my May 30 post, a patch must have been released and auto installed on my phone. The camera and document camera don't cause my app to crash anymore (running Evernote v 7.0.4.1 and Evernote Widget v 3.1.7).

BUT, the photos taken via Evernote are no longer saved to the phone's Gallery AT ALL. The only way to access photos on my phone taken via the app is through Evernote directly. This is not how the app behaved in all previous versions, and I really dislike the new behavior. Will update if I get response.

Good to hear you have  a fix, but on the second part I like the new behavior assuming it is intentional. I absolutely hate that my Evernote photos end up in my gallery. In the end I just end up cleaning them out which is extra work for me. Is it possible this is a settings issue? Then both of us could be happy?

Good to hear you have  a fix, but on the second part I like the new behavior assuming it is intentional. I absolutely hate that my Evernote photos end up in my gallery. In the end I just end up cleaning them out which is extra work for me. Is it possible this is a settings issue? Then both of us could be happy?

That'd be great! I rec'd a reply from Evernote today saying there is no setting currently, but they are thinking about adding the function back as an option (as Maik says the iOS app has). Once I submitted a help desk ticket, they sent an email asking for my log file. I replied to that (without a log file) and got a response w/in 24 hrs. Hopefully those still having issues with the app camera can get the same prompt help.

• 1 month later...

Galaxy S6 and on version 7.0.7.1 and the document camera is having the same issues described above. It hangs after 2 pictures.

On searching google for the problem, it appears this was mentioned by users as far back as May of 2014!

Device doesn't seem to matter, and there's many, many claims of the same problem. Many have issued a 'ticket' and there's still no solution.

Very frustrating. The only real suggestion was to turn off 'multi pic' setting. - This doesn't work.

Anyone else have words of wisdom? - I'm downloading Onenote as I'm writing this....

• 3 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

I've used a Galaxy S2 / S3 and Note 4 without (so far) any camera problems,  and my family also use S4's without issue;  so unless Samsung did something dumb to the camera software in the S6...  The only possible tech 'fixes' are either:  uninstall / restart / reinstall,  or mess with the camera settings.  I'd imagine Evernote will find it hard to identify exactly what causes this problem in a random sample of users.  Short term situation - if Evernote won't work for you, then please fill in a bug report so they are aware of the situation and can ask you for more background if they need it - and try something else.

(You can,  of course,  just use the native camera function and send pics to a note from the gallery...)

Submit a bug report by choosing "report a bug..." in the first dropdown after logging in here > https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action

- or reach out on Twitter @Evernotehelps (include the forum thread URL for extra background)

Premium / Business users also have access to a Chat option (7am-7pm PST weekdays) - click 'continue' on the support page after logging in.

• 3 weeks later...

Found fix for my S4. had same issue, came here looking for solution. downloaded update...no dice, but i changed my picture resolution from 8M to 3m and it worked flawlessly after that. maybe there is an issue with is resizing, as evernote likes to downsize images....

Archived