macuser2

ScanSnap - Line On Second Page

Idea

Hello I am having the hardest time trying to figure out how a line is showing up on the 2nd pages of all my scans. 

I'd also like to add, finding any support info on the Evernote website is very difficult for the scanner. The evernote.com main page is missing the forum link for example. Then on this forum link, no forum dedicated to the scanner. Whatever page is dedicated for the scanner is very simplified and for shoppers only etc.  As a result, every time I come to the evernote website in the past year or so I've been sort of turned away for lack of time.

Back to my line I've had this problem for a long time now. I've cleaned the glass on the inside multiple times with a soft cloth but nothing has worked. Please help. 

21 replies to this idea

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

"a line is showing up on the 2nd pages of all my scans." 

I presume you are creating PDF files (not JPG files)

1. Is it a horizontal or vertical line?
  2. Is it a solid black line or a faint black line?
  3. Does it show up if you scan in the simplex mode (one-sided)?
  4. Have you used the black and white alignment paper supplied with Scansnap?
There are some help guides at the Fujitsu site.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 
"Evernote.com main page is missing the forum link."

It is there, but some unknown reason, Evernote does its very best to keep it hidden.
Scroll down five full screens to the very bottom. 

PRODUCTS - EVERNOTE BUSINESS - MARKET - APP CENTER - SUPPORT - BLOG
Select SUPPORT

Browse help topics - Guides - Communities - App downloads
Select COMMUNITIES 

Yes, "communities" is a dumb name. They should call it FORUM.

Or you could save the link to jump to Forums
2 people like this

I run a scansnap,  and one of the regular maintence jobs is to gently (and with the power off) clean the glass scanning plattens.  Every so often I get a line all the way down one page or the other,  which is due to dirt on one or other of those windows.  Helps get sharper scans too!

1 person likes this

Hello! Thanks for your response. To answer your questions (s)

1) The line is vertical. For a sample screen shot please see here:

http://gyazo.com/0c35d5645fcba2bf9f5c0e04e65550f4

2) It is a solid black line

3) No it does not show up if I scan in the simplex one sided mode

4) I do not have that paper anymore, or at least I'm not sure I ever had it. I still have the feeder one that i can put documents in

Lastly yes my documents are set to scan as PDF

1 person likes this

Did you have a go at cleaning the glass panels?  It's possible for a piece of paper or fluff to block the top panel,  which is what scans the back of the sheet as it goes through.  That leaves a black line like your illustration.

2 people like this

Did you have a go at cleaning the glass panels?  It's possible for a piece of paper or fluff to block the top panel,  which is what scans the back of the sheet as it goes through.  That leaves a black line like your illustration.

Hi Gazumped I appreciate all your help but if you actually read my original post you would have learned that I have tried cleaning the glass panels on the inside many times. Thanks anyway! <3

2 people like this

It certainly seems like you have some sort of debris inside the ScanSnap. I would give the cleaning procedure another go.

http://scansnapcommunity.com/tips-tricks/105-how-to-clean-your-scansnap-to-have-it-run-at-optimal-performance/

http://www.fujitsu.com/downloads/COMP/fel/scanners/documents/cleaning-instructions/cleaning-instructions-s1500-s1500m.pdf

If that does not work, ScanSnap technical support seems like the next option.

http://www.fujitsu.com/us/products/computing/peripheral/scanners/contact/

1 person likes this

Cleaning the glass is of course the OBVIOUS solution. As I've said it before I've cleaned the glass many many times.

By the way the links you made @jbenson is not my version of scanner. I have this one. https://www.evernote.com/market/feature/scanner. The innards are somewhat the same with the one you posted but not exact.. 

You are also incorrect about the scanner support. I bought this from Evernote, so support is with them. This has been made clear on Evernote's website. So I'm stuck coming to the forums getting some canned answers from people who do not read my posts.

In case you missed it:

Cleaning the glass is of course the OBVIOUS solution. As I've said it before I've cleaned the glass many many times.

I appreciate your help, but this solution isn't working for me.  If that is the only solution then I guess I'm stuck with the line on the second page. 

Thanks anyway!

I am not tech support, just an Evernote user. I've been using my miniature ScanSnap daily since 2009. If I spent $500 on a scanner, and it continually created the lined 2nd page I would be furious. 

A vertical line is not acceptable. What also bothered me was the 2nd page also shows some faint horizontal "noise". That can be caused on my ScanSnap when I scan thin paper that lets some of the front page leak through. Or when it is thermal receipt paper that got crumpled up in my pocket. It also happens when I scan paper that has a slight color tint, with text on just one side. To avoid this, I click on the single page simplex mode. Because I scan several hundred pages each week, I keep my ScanSnap image quality setting set to Normal (Fastest)

The other concern is the vertical line is not exactly perpendicular to the edge of the paper. It skews off slightly to the right side. That is why I thought it might be some debris, possibly inside the page advance roller mechanism, and not just dirt on the scanning surface.

The reason I suggested that you contact ScanSnap is because 

1. they are the manufacturer and
  2. there have been many forum comments about weak Evernote Support for 3rd party equipment

But if that is not acceptable, then give Evernote Support a try. Maybe there is a better Support team mentioned in the paperwork that came with the machine.  You should not have to put up with that line on the empty 2nd page

1 person likes this

I am not tech support, just an Evernote user. I've been using my miniature ScanSnap daily since 2009. If I spent $500 on a scanner, and it continually created the lined 2nd page I would be furious. 

A vertical line is not acceptable. What also bothered me was the 2nd page also shows some faint horizontal "noise". That can be caused on my ScanSnap when I scan thin paper that lets some of the front page leak through. Or when it is thermal receipt paper that got crumpled up in my pocket. It also happens when I scan paper that has a slight color tint, with text on just one side. To avoid this, I click on the single page simplex mode. Because I scan several hundred pages each week, I keep my ScanSnap image quality setting set to Normal (Fastest)

The other concern is the vertical line is not exactly perpendicular to the edge of the paper. It skews off slightly to the right side. That is why I thought it might be some debris, possibly inside the page advance roller mechanism, and not just dirt on the scanning surface.

The reason I suggested that you contact ScanSnap is because 

1. they are the manufacturer and
  2. there have been many forum comments about weak Evernote Support for 3rd party equipment

But if that is not acceptable, then give Evernote Support a try. Maybe there is a better Support team mentioned in the paperwork that came with the machine.  You should not have to put up with that line on the empty 2nd page

Hi and thanks for your comments. The line is in fact slanted like that on all scans so it is rather strange.  I will look for other debris inside the machine elsewhere. Though I've been in there cleaning/dusting so often I'm not sure I will achieve anything unless I try opening it. 

I will also revisit ScanSnap as a support option as well. As far as I know this forum is the only form of support from Evernote. 

Thanks again.

I too have recently had problems with duplex scanning on the snapscan s1500 - having had several years of excellent problem free years of service from the scanner.

The scanner performs perfectly initially. Then, after a period of use it starts to produce a scanned line on the reverse side of pages.

See the enclosed examples - the same document scanned - one not long after scanner switched on and one taken after it has fully warmed up. The first scan is clean and the second shows the vertical line.

If I then switch off the scanner and leave it for a while it performs excellently again - no vertical line on the reverse side of the page being scanned. It is the top plate/scanning element that appears to be the problem.

I am beginning to think that it an overheating problem.

I have experimented with closing and re-opening the software but this has no impact.

Could it be that the scanner is getting too hot and having an impact on its electronics? This seems too simplistic and does not explain why the top element is exclusively a problem. I get no problems at all if I use only simplex scanning and the bottom scanning element.

BTW I have also tried switching from duplex scanning to simplex scanning and back to see if this could act as a switch to reset the scanner and hopefully get rid of the problem without success.

Hence my reason for thinking that this is a hardware problem related to the electronics of the scanner and heat.

MJN

Hi.  Can we just be clear that this thread is about the Evernote Edition ScanSnap scanner,  not the standard Fujitsu S1500 scanner (except for the last post). 

The EESS is supported by Evernote,  the S1500 by Fujitsu.  The 1500's have been in use for a while,  and come with ScanSnap Manager software to manage the process (this is not the same software that runs an EESS and the two are incompatible). 

If you right-click the SS Manager icon it offers a 'check consumables' option and suggests replacements of the Pick Roller and Pad Assembly at certain levels.  According to my stats I've done 21,551 scans on my unit but I'm still a long way from any replacement parts.

If a serious cleaning doesn't help with any resolution problems,  and your unit is still within operating limits on any spares,  I'd suggest raising any issues via the appropriate support team.

Did you ever get this resolved? I'm having exactly the same problem. Black vertical line. Only on one side of a duplex scan.

17 hours ago, iHuman said:

Did you ever get this resolved? I'm having exactly the same problem. Black vertical line. Only on one side of a duplex scan.

Did you try the cleaning route?

On February 3, 2016 at 6:46 PM, iHuman said:

Sorry I did not respond to this post I had a very hard tiem logging into this website and today it just worked with no issues. In case, no I never did get my line problem resolved. I would really like to get it fixed also. Merely "cleaning it" never worked no matter how many times I tried. 

1 person likes this

After many tests I have resolved to my own satisfaction that problem is due to heating.

Keeping the unit cool gets rid of the problem completely.

I switch the unit off between scans. On large scan jobs with the unit heating up the line will always reappear on every second page. I switch off the unit for a few minutes to allow it to cool and it works fine again on powering back up.

M

1 person likes this

I have a similar problem with my scanner but it seems worst. I have a long black stripe on all my second pages. It's very annoying and I tried cleaning both lens Inside and out, the stripe is just cleaner after a good clean-up. See the problem in the attached file.
2017_07_11_11_35_53.pdf

23 hours ago, Clacombe said:

I have a similar problem with my scanner but it seems worst. I have a long black stripe on all my second pages. It's very annoying and I tried cleaning both lens Inside and out, the stripe is just cleaner after a good clean-up. See the problem in the attached file.
2017_07_11_11_35_53.pdf

That looks pretty terrible. Gazumped will bel sure to respond and ask you if you have cleaned the glass. He just wants to dismiss away the problem and not really provide any solutions. He won't even read your posts. We know you most likely cleared the glass already. Sorry but with that line you are most likely SHOL.  

It's not an overheating problem. The line shows up no matter what.

While I'm grateful for anyone suggesting fixes here,  I'd like to suggest my own wherever possible - and in this case it's pretty obviously not a dirt mark on glass - the strip is too wide and woo regular.  (But that's just my opinion ;))

If this is an Evernote Edition Scansnap Scanner,  have you tried this page?  https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208431558-Scanner-troubleshooting

It has links to Fujitsu and Evernote support too.  Given that Support's reaction times can be slow,  you might want to reach out to them first and troubleshoot after - you can always cancel the ticket if a simple fix does work...

Hi Evernote team, 

I'm one of your users from Taiwan. I have aproblem with your note. Could anyone tell me how I can transmit Evernote notes to my computer or other electrical devices.

Thank you very much.

On 7/18/2017 at 2:30 AM, Eddie德 said:

Hi Evernote team, 

I'm one of your users from Taiwan. I have aproblem with your note. Could anyone tell me how I can transmit Evernote notes to my computer or other electrical devices.

Thank you very much.

Hi.  This thread is about the ScanSnap scanner.  Please see the link above for a help page.  If you have another issue,  please explain more fully.  We're not the Evernote Team - this is a (mainly) user-supported forum.  You can contact Support directly if you're a paying customer on https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new or tweet them if not via https://twitter.com/evernotehelps