New Jot Script 2 Not Connecting to Penultimate

SMPK

Just received my new Jot Script 2 through the Evernote Marketplace - cannot get it to connect to Penultimate via bluetooth.  

Using an iPad Air 2, latest iOS update, latest Penultimate update, fully charged Jot Script 2, bluetooth enabled, multitasking gestures disabled, blue light blinking - but - not connecting on the Penultimate "Connect Jot Script" page.  

Tried doing it both in settings and also in a new note.  

Just emailed help@adonit - will update here if I get an answer from them that works - appreciate any others!

Just received my new Jot Script 2 through the Evernote Marketplace - cannot get it to connect to Penultimate via bluetooth.

Using an iPad Air 2, latest iOS update, latest Penultimate update, fully charged Jot Script 2, bluetooth enabled, multitasking gestures disabled, blue light blinking - but - not connecting on the Penultimate "Connect Jot Script" page.

Just emailed help@adonit - will update here if I get an answer from them that works - appreciate any others!

Have you tried rebooting your iPad? I had a similar issue with my iPad mini and the Jot 1. Rebooting fixed it.

Hold the Home and Sleep/Wake buttons simultaneously until you see the Apple icon.

Have you tried rebooting your iPad? I had a similar issue with my iPad mini and the Jot 1. Rebooting fixed it.

Hold the Home and Sleep/Wake buttons simultaneously until you see the Apple icon.

Thanks!  Gave rebooting a shot but that didn't work.  Just for kicks I deleted and reinstalled Penultimate and was able to connect after that, though I didn't log in to Evernote first as I did the last time - not sure if that made a difference or if it was just the re-install.  Thx PizzaFiend for the response.  

• 3 months later...

My new Script 2 also do not want to connect on my Air 2. I rebooted, deleted and re-installed Penultimate, to no avail. Very frustrating. I will return the Script 2, hopefully the online shop I bought it from in The Netherlands will refund me.

Saw this in another post:

"I contacted Evernote support this morning and got a fix for the JS2 connection.

1. Close Penultimate App.

2. Turn OFF Bluetooth on IPad.

3. Power off iPad.

4. Power on iPad.

5. Turn ON Bluetooth.

6. Open Penultimate and JS2 connects.

The cycling of the iPad with Bluetooth off clears "stale" connections, it worked first time for me. Evernote (John) thank you"

Thank you, PizzaFiend. I tried your procedure three times, even making my iPad 2 forget all other Bluetooth connections to other devices, like my keyboard and bluetooth speakers. I also closed all apps. Closed Bluetooh, powered of, on, etc.

No luck whatsoever. My iPad - the third one I own, the other two still in use by the family - connects without any problem whatsoever to other Bluetooth devices. The incompatibility must lie with the Script 2. It is a well designed, beautiful product, but does not deliver what it promises to do. Sad to say.

Let's say your procedure were to work (which it doesn't): can you imagine how much time it will take out of a productive day to do that on a regular basis? I went through the process three times. It chews up valuable time, and the prospect of having to do it again and again is ghastly.

I have the same experience to report.  The JS2 does not connect.  Strangely the JS2 works to select the options but does not seem to connect.  Tried to write in an old note without connecting and that did not work as expected.  Writing with the finger is possible however. 

Tried the JS2 in Inkredible and in Zoomnotes without issues.  So this problem is definitely Penultimate specific.

I also tried GoodNotes 4. The Jot Script does not want to connect there, either. Therefore in my experience the problem is not only Penultimate specific. Yes, the JS2 works to select the options in both Penultimate and Goodnotes, but then does not connect through Bluetooth.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been having the same problem since I received my JS2 just after it was released. Pizza Fiend's recommendations above have worked a couple of times but not consistently. Had a lot of contact with Evernote support who ended up refunding the JS2 blaming faulty hardware in the stylus for the problem.

I had a feeling this might be a little more widespread than they suggested.

The stylus could still be used without the bluetooth connection and performed relatively OK as long as no other part of your hand came in contact with the iPad - so it works OK in the drift box but not much good for note taking/sketching without the drift box.

I'd love to hear if someone found a more permanent solution to the issue.

• 2 weeks later...

The jot script 2 is definitely not connecting tried all the recommendations in this forum. Is there an update for the jot, a way to reset the jot Bluetooth memory?? HELPPPPP

Hi SMPK,

The JS2 does not connect to penultimate.  This has happened after the update to penultimate.  So maybe we will have to wait indefinitely.

However you can try zoom notes.  This is the help I got from Adonit, as they were unable to help me any other way.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Woohoo! I figured it out. Ok, now let me see if I can explain what I did to make my JS2 work properly in both Penultimate and Goodnotes on my iPad Air (Model A1474). 

Ok, first, I did all the actions to connect my JS2 to my iPad Air. But the light on my JS2 remained blue and blinking. Then I thought, let me go into Settings > Bluetooth and toggle the switch on/off. But not to exit from there. So I waited as if I was connecting another Bluetooth device. And voilà —the light turned green on my JS2.

I then went back into Goodnotes where I've been working now for the past several hours (today, Sat., 3/5/16), and even though my iPad went to sleep a number of times while working, each time I went back to the Goodnotes app the light on my JS2 turned green and I was easily reconnected.

I then went and opened up Penultimate and tried it there. I was immediately connected. (Well, not immediately. I found that I had to go and actually option out of Goodnotes first; i.e., go into settings in Goodnotes and set 'Smart Stylus' to "None" —and then JS2 functioned properly with ease in Penultimate).

I don't know exactly why or the significance of having the Bluetooth area opened (in Settings>Bluetooth) as if you are connecting a new device, but for some reason that seems to reestablish the connection to the JS2.

Interestingly enough, this is how I also tether from my iPhone 6s to my MacBook Pro. I found that I must keep the "Personal Hotspot" tab open in Settings before I could see my iPhone in the WiFi: 'Looking for Networks' button at the top of my MacBook. I don't know how all that stuff works in there but I know my Jot Script 2 is now working right so, I am happy happy happy!! And I think this will work for everyone. :-)

Afraid this approach didn't work for me. 

Just to check this is what i did:

1) goto bluetooth settings and switch off Bluetooth

2) switch it back on

3) switch on pen (blue flashing)

4) wait...

nothing changed - no green light, nothing. I can make the light go green by double clicking the pen switch but it goes off quickly and still doesn't connect.

Hey Rob, ok after your step 4, continue waiting for just a few seconds (maybe 7 or 8). But then go to Penultimate or Goodnotes and follow the regular steps to pair there. The light should go green. (And you're not trying to beat the time before the blue light stops blinking. That's really not the issue.) The glitch seems to be in the fact that you have to leave the Bluetooth page open as if you were connecting a new device but then go to the note app after a few seconds and proceed as normal to connect.

9 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

Afraid this approach didn't work for me. 

Just to check this is what i did:

1) goto bluetooth settings and switch off Bluetooth

2) switch it back on

3) switch on pen (blue flashing)

4) wait...

nothing changed - no green light, nothing. I can make the light go green by double clicking the pen switch but it goes off quickly and still doesn't connect.

Send it to Jot Script. They amazing customer service and as long as you thought it reasonable time they will send you a new replacement. Having it myself, if you focus of steps and still is worth. It's more likely a faulty pen if you focus of steps and still is worth. It's more likely a full awful depend .

Thanks for both of your responses. I've tried hanging on in Settings for 20 seconds until the blue light goes out and then returned to Penultimate with no success. Actually think I've got a faulty pen.

• 2 weeks later...

Argh -- mine stopped connecting after many months of good use. Every method above (and some of my more superstitious methods) no longer work. This sucks -- I get MAJOR use out of this thing at work. 

• 10 months later...
On 7/25/2015 at 6:33 AM, PizzaFiend said:

Saw this in another post:

"I contacted Evernote support this morning and got a fix for the JS2 connection.

1. Close Penultimate App.

2. Turn OFF Bluetooth on IPad.

3. Power off iPad.

4. Power on iPad.

5. Turn ON Bluetooth.

6. Open Penultimate and JS2 connects.

The cycling of the iPad with Bluetooth off clears "stale" connections, it worked first time for me. Evernote (John) thank you"

Worked like magic!!! Thank you, PizzaFiend!!

Archived