OM2

I'm using web version of Evernote

I've created a table

I want to add or remove rows + resize columns

I can't do this

I've googled questions on this given by others

Answer: it can't be done

Erm... what am I missing?

Why? It's just a HTML components. Any basic HTML editor gives you the ability to manipulate tables

Arranging content: how do I do this?

I created a notebook. I created a note inside of the notebook. Somehow my note didn't get stored inside of the new notebook (maybe it was my fault - who knows).

No worries, I'll just move the note to the right notebook.

I can't see how I can do this?

What am I missing?

Thanks

Omar

Currently, one can only insert/ delete columns and rows on the desktop clients (via the right click context menu), which you have to download and install. You cannot resize column width directly on Evernote desktop unless you use a workaround or copy from a Word document. Search the forum for more info on that... and how to transfer notes between notebooks. If you're a newbie then a tad bit more tinkering might suffice.

thanks frank

just figured out how to move the notebook

not having the option of table manipulation is amazingly unexcusable imho

(i love everything else about evernote though)

I think you're going to love a lot more about Evernote in the coming months that you have no idea even exists right now  ;)

True, Evernote is not the best in the text-editing department, and people who have more complex needs in terms of outlining (I use WorkFlowy), tables (there are MS Word and Excel workarounds for Evernote), highlighting, etc... will still find Evernote to be untouchable in many other areas. 

What I can say, is that of late, there has been a trend across the Evernote clients toward a better standardization and richer features. I think it's just a matter of time before many of the common (text editing) gripes many have are resolved. 

• 2 years later...

Is this still not possible? I am using Evernote on the Web, since I am using an OS where the desktop-client is not available and on my iPhone. I cannot seem to add rows on either. Some more table editing features in web- and iPhone-version would be really appreciated.

• 4 months later...

Adding columns to a table in Evernote Web can be done with some serious geekery by manipulating the HTML on the page.

Here's how I add or copy rows using Chrome as my browser on Windows:

1. In Chrome, in Evernote Web, go to the note with the table you want to add to
  2. In Chrome, go to File->More Tools->Developer Tools (the Chrome File menu is the three vertical dots to the far right of the address bar)
  3. Select the square-with-cursor in the top left of the Dev Tools panel (hover text says, "Select an element in the page to inspect it")
  4. click a cell in your table
  5. close the <tr> section above the highlighted section of the code window in the Dev Tools panel by clicking on the down-pointing triangle
  6. right click on the <tr>...</tr> line you just closed and select Copy->Copy Element
  7. right click on the </tbody> that corresponds to the bottom of the table you're adding rows to and select Copy->Paste Element. Repeat for as many rows as you want to insert.
  8. you can close the Dev Tools panel now

Deleting rows can be done by replacing steps 6 and 7 with "right click on the <tr>...</tr> line and selecting "Delete element"'"

There might be a more efficient way, but this works. If you know how to edit HTML tables by hand the rest of the things you want to do - like adding columns - should be reasonably straight-forward, if a bit tedious.

It all should be easier.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well this is for sure not easy to solve with HTML for Evernote... 

My workarounds: 

1. Regarding "simple" tables (max 6*6)  in Evernote:
    1. Go the end of the table, ie. the next free line of space after the table. 
    2. Add table in same design as current table.
    3. The new table will join the existing table. 
  2. Complex tables / sheets:
    1. Host your worksheet in external solutions. I use Google Sheets.
    2. Insert link to your sheet in the Evernote note.

• 4 months later...
On 1/24/2018 at 5:12 PM, TomS6 said:

Adding columns to a table in Evernote Web can be done with some serious geekery by manipulating the HTML on the page.

Here's how I add or copy rows using Chrome as my browser on Windows:

1. In Chrome, in Evernote Web, go to the note with the table you want to add to
  2. In Chrome, go to File->More Tools->Developer Tools (the Chrome File menu is the three vertical dots to the far right of the address bar)
  3. Select the square-with-cursor in the top left of the Dev Tools panel (hover text says, "Select an element in the page to inspect it")
  4. click a cell in your table
  5. close the <tr> section above the highlighted section of the code window in the Dev Tools panel by clicking on the down-pointing triangle
  6. right click on the <tr>...</tr> line you just closed and select Copy->Copy Element
  7. right click on the </tbody> that corresponds to the bottom of the table you're adding rows to and select Copy->Paste Element. Repeat for as many rows as you want to insert.
  8. you can close the Dev Tools panel now

Deleting rows can be done by replacing steps 6 and 7 with "right click on the <tr>...</tr> line and selecting "Delete element"'"

There might be a more efficient way, but this works. If you know how to edit HTML tables by hand the rest of the things you want to do - like adding columns - should be reasonably straight-forward, if a bit tedious.

It all should be easier.

This worked brilliantly!!!  Thank you.  I've struggled with a decent way to accomplish this for ages.

Archived