Cannot Pan PDF while Annotating when PDF is zoomed in

Hi 

I'm trying to annotate a PDF in Evernote. It is a construction drawing, so it's got lots of small detail, so I zoomed in to, say 75%. At this soomed in level, the whole PDF is naturally not all visible on the screen at once, but I cannot pan or move the image left and right so I can annotate the whole thing. There's no hand or panning tool, nor is there a edge scroll bar for me to click and scroll. I can use the mouse wheel to scroll up and down, but nothing to move me sideways. Am I missing something?

I'm using the EN client on Win 7.

Thanks in advance for your help!

- Darren

• Level 5*

I've never thought of Evernote as the primary tool to perform detailed reading or annotating of any attachment, including PDFs.  I look at it as more of a way to quickly get a glimpse of the contents.  In some cases, if the PDF is small enough, you can read it in Evernote.

I rely on external tools like Adobe Acrobat XI Pro to be my primary PDF tool.  It is easy and quick enough to just double-click on the PDF header in the EN Note to open the PDF in your default PDF tool.  For reading, the free Adobe Acrobat Reader would work fine, allowing you to zoom, scroll, and pan.  There are also 3rd party PDF tools that will do the same as well as make annotations and comments in the PDF.

• Level 5*

Hi 

I'm trying to annotate a PDF in Evernote. It is a construction drawing, so it's got lots of small detail, so I zoomed in to, say 75%. At this soomed in level, the whole PDF is naturally not all visible on the screen at once, but I cannot pan or move the image left and right so I can annotate the whole thing. There's no hand or panning tool, nor is there a edge scroll bar for me to click and scroll. I can use the mouse wheel to scroll up and down, but nothing to move me sideways. Am I missing something?

I'm using the EN client on Win 7.

Thanks in advance for your help!

- Darren

Hi.  When I click on a PDF (in Win 8) it opens on a PDF viewer, not annotate.  My viewer has scroll bars.  What device are you using here?

• 10 months later...

I know exactly what you are talking about and very surprised this function doesn't exist and nobody has addresses it. I can easily zoom in and pan around on the ipad and iphone. There is a vertical scroll bar for the desktop version, why not a horizontal one? This should be a simple add on, similar to every other software that allows zooming.

@gazumped, the annotate command is within evernote. When you hover over the PDF, the tool bar appears up top. The annotate button is to the right of "eyeball" button and looks like "@".

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I am still dealing with this problem even though the thread is 3 years old. I use evernote as my one stop shop for pdf annotating and note organizing, and don't want to have to switch back and forth to adobe just for the ability to scroll while annotating. Please improve! 

-a premium user

• Level 5*
On 2/18/2018 at 10:01 PM, Ranestone said:

still dealing with this problem even though the thread is 3 years old.

Hi.  The editor and PDF viewer have changed completely at least once in that period,  and there have been dozens of updates generally,  so if the functionality isn't available,  it's not for the same reason.  What version of Evernote are you using,  and is this on a desktop,  tablet or phone?

• 1 month later...

Question: when right clicking on a pdf and selecting annotate this pdf, there's no option to rotate the  pdf. It does not keep the rotation selected before opening the annotation window. Does anybody know how to fix this? Thanks.

Archived