Scanning Books with Scannable

Hello Fellow Evernote Enthusiasts.  I recently started using Scannable to scan library books (I'm a PhD student so I need lots of books).  Some of the books lie open just fine and Scannable is really great about flattening out the image for me (correcting for the bend in the pages) but others not so much.  Does anyone have any suggestions for how to hold them open without using your hands?  I tried building myself a thing to hold the iPad but you still have to push the button....

Any thoughts? Thanks! 

• Level 5*

If you search around on the net for 'book copying stands' or something similar you should find a huge range of different plans.  I made one out of a piece of (roughly) A2 board,  a similar sized piece of non-reflective glass,  some duct tape and a frame (mine's an old small clothes rail) over the top with a car 'phone holder to keep the camera in the right position.  Most of the time.  It's still a hugely hands-intensive process to flip the page / frame the shot / take page n,  take page n+1,  then go back to flipping..  If you're especially dextrous,  a time-delay app will take a shot every (say) 2 seconds - all you have to do is move and frame..  and don't drop anything...

I moved on to eBooks and already PDF'd documents,  then bought a good scanner,  so the table only comes out when there's something large or thick to copy.

• 7 months later...
  • Level 5*

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to hold them open without using your hands?  

You might try using some large rubber bands to hold open the book.

I have found some great bands in the women's hair care section at dept stores.

Not the fastest processing solution, but probably the most portable.

• Level 5*

Having read the instructable,  they deal with the mechanics of keeping pages flat and taking pictures fairly well I thought - their suggestion is to use a piece of glass to hold the page you're copying flat.  It looks pretty easy to snap / turn page and snap again - but they may have had quite a bit of practice by then...

Archived