Evernote update fails for ages

Hi there, i'm tired to see that annoyin error while trying to update for last year.

So I'll try to describe the steps I do clearly riggghht here:

1. Downloading newer version (5.8.5.7193)

2. Running it (as admin for sure theres no any AV software)

3. Extracting process goes fine

4. Preparation process goes fine

5. BAH suddenly I'm receiving a message like "file is not accessible" and path to c:\temp\ (which is empty and btw my temp folder is on d:\temp, does evernote fails to get system PATH variable for that somewhere in the process HARDCODED<Sigh> maybe?) with open dialog for Evernote.msi. At this moment I can clearly see newly created Evernote.msi on my d:\temp\ but evernote didin't accepts it, I tried, bwah I tried that hardly but with no luck...

6. There is nothing I could do with that (selecting any evernote.msi files doesnt works either)

7. ???

8. Why It's a challenge to get evernote updated? I'd like to say that I'm a java developer with like above avg. computer skills coming from the years xx80, but I can't see the reason it could fail and I'm tired to see it fails.. I could do update if I totally remove evernote and install it again, but wth.

• Level 5*

Hi.  Sorry for the problems.  Is your current copy of Evernote syncing OK?  Can you see all your current notes via a desktop browser and https://www.evernote.com/Login.action?targetUrl=%2FHome.action ?

There have been a few upgrades in performance,  including the update process over the past year,  so manually fixing this one may resolve your problem for the future - but it looks like you need to go the uninstall/ reinstall route this once at least to get back on track.

Sorry for teaching granny,  but do backup your database folder just in case (temporarily copying it to the desktop works for me).  Uninstall/ reinstall is normally quick,  painless and resets a lot of small detail that might have gone astray over time.

Hello, It working as should, I'm using it also with my osx/ios/android and it's okay.

And I've skipped updates for windows for last 4-6 months because they all fails.

And earlier time it didn't worked for me - I had to uninstall and install again.

I did a run unpacked with updater evernote.msi file manually and update passed well. I don't know why it's not working with updater.

I will let you know if I face same problem with the next update.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

Hi again - please see post #2;  most update problems can be solved by uninstalling / reinstalling.  Make sure you have a backup of your database first though...

Another possibility you could check on the Windows version: in the Evernote folder on your hard drive there is a subfolder AutoUpdate. In there you will find the updates stored as .exe files. You could check if Evernote_5.8.5.7193.exe is in there. I have it in mine, and there is even a later one: Evernote_5.8.6.7519.exe.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm having the Evernote update problem on my MacBook Pro Retina with Evernote 6.0.13. 

When I try to update Evernote, I get "Update Error! An error occurred while downloading the update. Please try again later."

I've tried restarting, emptying the trash, running utilities. Same message.

I have no idea where my Evernote database is. I'm an Evernote Pro Customer, running it on my iPhone 6 and iPad as well. 

Should I delete the desktop client and reinstall? Am I safely backed up in the cloud? I have no idea where my database is to back it up!

Please advise. 

• 1 year later...

Evernote is not updating on my IPad to version 7.18.1.  I note that the app in my IPad is now called com.apple.mobileinstallation and not Evernote.  What's going on?  I don't want to uninstall and reinstall even though I have the 2nd device on my laptop... does anyone have advice?

Archived