Resize table columns

I want to resize the width of one of the columns in a table that I just entered but nothing I try works,

To see this behavior, insert a 2x2 table with a 100 pixel cell width.  

The table looks like this:

+-------------+-------------+

!             !             !
!             !             !

Now enter "word1 word2 word3"

The table now looks like this:

+------------+--+

!word1 word2 !  !
!word3       !  !
+------------+--+
!            !  !
+------------+--+

I would expect to drag the column to make it wider.

Is there a way to do this?
  • Level 5*

You can add a row to the table and enter x's in the columns until you get the widths you want.  Color the x's white and you don't see them.  Example below.  This will fix the width of the columns.

post-58142-0-79144100-1428526699_thumb.p

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

I want to resize the width of one of the columns in a table that I just entered but nothing I try works,

To see this behavior, insert a 2x2 table with a 100 pixel cell width.  

. . .

I would expect to drag the column to make it wider.

Is there a way to do this?

You don't state which EN client you are using, but in EN Mac 6.0.6 if you mouse over just to the left of the column right border you should see a double-headed arrow as the cursor.  If you click and hold at this point, you can drag left or right to decrease/increase the column width.

• Like 1

I am happy that tables now work better in Evernote, but there are still a few frustrations. One is that the "grabber" -- the double-headed arrow  in a table column -- is not where it should be. You have to mouse over the column to find it because it's not at the column border where you would expect it. Instead, it's floating somewhere in the column.

Another is that if I add a column, either to the right or left of a column, it cuts the existing column in half. That is not the expected behavior in other apps that do tables. Then I have to resize all the columns to accommodate the new column.

Not really complaining -- tables are much better than before -- but it's a little annoyance I hope will be fixed one day.

My client is Mac 6.0.9 beta

You don't state which EN client you are using, but in EN Mac 6.0.6 if you mouse over just to the left of the column right border you should see a double-headed arrow as the cursor.  If you click and hold at this point, you can drag left or right to decrease/increase the column width.

• Like 2

Another possibility I have gone with on occasion is to create your tables externally - In Word, for example - and copy paste to Evernote. The border widths stay fixed... Plus you can tinker with background color and other such styling.

• 2 years later...

Very frustrating - i've moved from windows to Mac and now back to Windows.

Every single table i have created on a Mac has been resized and the 'column adjust' cursor doesn't appear when I hover anywhere in or around the table. Has ruined an entire years worth of notes as all created with tables in.

Now where a column has been narrowed with text in, I just have a 100+ row column of 3 characters per line.

Evernote Table eg.png

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, Adam1236574 said:

Very frustrating - i've moved from windows to Mac and now back to Windows.

Every single table i have created on a Mac has been resized and the 'column adjust' cursor doesn't appear when I hover anywhere in or around the table. Has ruined an entire years worth of notes as all created with tables in.

Probably has something to do with the new Mac release so you might want to post in that thread.  Interestingly, the same issue occurred when tables were enhanced in the Windows version.  Something to do with the new editor.  May not be the case here, but still.  :(

• Like 1

Thanks-

OK in fact i've just noticed going back even the notes created when I was using windows are now corrupt when viewing using windows. So maybe the editor is the issue. I think the first time i noticed it was when i made changes on a note using mac thought.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

You are welcome.  For a while viewing a table using the IOS app would also bork a table's format in Windows.  That got addressed with the IOS 8.3 update.  But that being said, the introduction of Windows 6.6 modified the widths of existing tables.  PITA.

• 2 weeks later...

This might be helpful to some people. With the recently updated Evernote (I'm currently using version 6.12.1 on macOS), if you mouse over to the upper right corner of the cell, a button with a down caret will appear, open this menu and you should see a "Match Note Width" option.

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...

wow... why this feature is so hidden? is this documented somewhere? something like tutorial or blog post?

Never saw "Match Note Width" option OR menu before... for that reason I will attach screenshot so maybe others find it helpful and does not spend few minutes trying to find it 

Thanks

Screen Shot 2018-03-06 at 18.18.21.png

• Like 1
  • 4 years later...

There ought to be a way to set a column width to a particular value.  I'm trying and trying to grab a column border to narrow it.  No luck.  It's not at the left margin, it's not in the middle, it's not on the right.  Give us a second chance if the grabber is gone.

I'm on a Windows PC, using Version 6.25

I've lost 15 minutes trying to solve this problem.  Now I'm starting the table all over, in Word.

• Level 5

We're mainly other users here, not Evernote support. But since you (and I) are using v. 6.25, we must resign ourselves that this version is not getting any more updates, and what we have is what it will be--unless we update to v. 10, which I did on a different computer.

But in either version, I have no trouble hovering the mouse pointer over a table column divider and getting the tool to grab and move the divider. As for setting a particular value ... would that be in centimeters, inches, a percentage, pixels? I'd way rather drag than have to try 10 different values till I got the right one; but that's just my preference.