Anything new in the area of "redirect" versus "forward"

GreyGray

I really want to use the feature in EN to push emails from my email to EN.  I use gmail, with a custom domain.  There only seems to be a forward.  I can set up a redirect address and approve it, attach it to a filtter, but criteria must be met to fire the filter.  If the email is in my inbox, it is too late.  Unless there is a way to grab an already existing email and find a "redirect" button somewhere, as it is the only way i can alter the subject to add in notebooks and tags.

Redirecting also doesn't change the headers and put the forward tokens in the body of the email, keeping it nice and clean.  I moved to exclusive web based email a while ago and am finally happy with it.  I really don't want to go back to desktop email and have all that email on my computer and have it sync every time I open the app.  Plus, push suppose on Mac is not so great with gmail, at least for me.

Redirect, a plug in, anything, suggestions?  Could this even be done in a Safari plugin?

Don't understand what you mean by  If the email is in my inbox, it is too late.

You can set up Gmail so it copies a new email to your EN email address immediately. It's instantaneous so I don't see how that can be too late.

Don't understand what you mean by  If the email is in my inbox, it is too late.

You can set up Gmail so it copies a new email to your EN email address immediately. It's instantaneous so I don't see how that can be too late.

In gmail, you can create filters, they are applied to the message, and can alter it from it's original form, or move it to a specific folder/tag etc.  What I meant, is that yes, I can create a filter so that if an email comes in, AND it meets certain criteria, it will be forwarded to the Evernote address.  Done in a "redirected/bounced" fashion, in that it will not alter the subject to lead with Fwd:, it will not alter the body at all let alone adding indention characters, but it does add a few headers that tell e-mail servers some nice stuff.  The problem is, if the email is in my inbox, then I can't "re-filter" it so it is forwarded, it's too late. There is no "re-apply filter" to this message.  That leaves me with forwarding, which I am trying to find a way to work around.

Sorry I wasn't clear.

So far, looks like when I need to do this, I am just going to use mutt on the command line, it can easily do what I want in a few keystrokes.

• Level 5*

The problem is, if the email is in my inbox, then I can't "re-filter" it so it is forwarded, it's too late. There is no "re-apply filter" to this message.

Gmail does have a retro-filter feature when Filtering. Compile your search for the filter in the search box above, and then click Create filter with this search. Down by the Create filter button is a little checkbox that you'll want to tick. This will go through your entire email inbox and archive and retroactively filter based on the criteria you set (I highly suggest you do Inbox only... ;) )

The checkbox:

YiQUOWUhIR-3000x3000.jpeg

The problem is, if the email is in my inbox, then I can't "re-filter" it so it is forwarded, it's too late. There is no "re-apply filter" to this message.

Gmail does have a retro-filter feature when Filtering. Compile your search for the filter in the search box above, and then click Create filter with this search. Down by the Create filter button is a little checkbox that you'll want to tick. This will go through your entire email inbox and archive and retroactively filter based on the criteria you set (I highly suggest you do Inbox only... ;) )

The checkbox:

YiQUOWUhIR-3000x3000.jpeg

I have thought about this very method, correct me if I am wrong.  First I have to setup a forwarding address. You do this in the filtering/forwarding options in gmail.  It will send a AUTH email to the forward address, in this case, my EN email address.  I then look in EN, get the activation code, and put it in, now ALL emails are forwarded and also arrive in my gmail as well.

While I could go to filters and enter some criteria to find an email and it will offer up a "send the below found emails with this filters criteria", yes, I think that may work, not sure.  However, I will have 100% of my emails also showing up in evernote.  They key is to access a feature that is not "forward" as one of the options.  When you use the "Global forward" where you select and approve an email address, you have to enter in in and it sticks there and will apply to all messages.  I don't think there is a way to set up a system where you have forwarding on but no messages are forwarded until you re-apply the filter.

I found one not so fun workaround which is to enable postfix on my mac, in gmail, I can select a message and say "show original", then alter the return sender to the EN address, save that as a text file to a certain postfix directory and it will pick it up as a normal mail and SMTP it out.  You can't just enable postfix or it will be SMTP'ing your emails from your local machine and your WAN IP which will be blocked as a residential IP address and not allowed to SMTP on that address and will be rejected by anyone running a plug-in for their mail servers that blocks ISP SMTP email without AUTH.  No problem though, I just configured Postfix as a relay, using my gmail credentials as the SMTP.

It's a mess of a workaround, and I would like to automate it somehow.  I think I can use mutt, a command line email client and take the source gmail and do something like mutt-b foo@evernote.com imap://path to file where -b stands for bounce and foo@example.com is the EN address I would put in.

I will keep looking, as for now, I probably will just use a simple and normal forward and clean up the headers and mess in EN.

• Level 5*

@GreyGray:

I'm not sure if this will help, but  I have been able to develop some Keyboard Maestro macros that work really well for forwarding subject-specific emails from Outlook to Evernote.  The macro also does some cleanup and formatting.  Let me know if you are interested.

Thanks for the suggestion. It took me 6 months to get myself trained to like Gmail web. A local email client, I don't want to waste the drive space and IMAP push on the Mac plain doesn't work.

But I too have an arsenal of KM a find I use all the time. I'm actually going to make a drop folder to I port to evernote and do so exclusively in KM with a bash script. I do t like AppleScript and folder actions as I have more control, my own logging abilities, etc. sure I can do so in AppleScript but the syntax of that language is one that just kills me.

Thanks again!

• Level 5*

Yeah, I hate the AppleScript syntax.  I suppose it had it's value in the beginning, but I think now it just gets in the way of most people.  It would be very cool if Apple released two compilers/interpreters for AppleScript:  One like it is now, and one more like javascript.

Hey, when you have time, I'd love to know more about your KM macros.  I've just been using it for about 2 months, but already have about 30 macros.  Have you shared any on the KM forum?

Archived