Evernote for iOS v7.7 Released

cifip

Idea

• Level 5

Hi all,

Earlier today we released Evernote for iOS 7.7, and it should be available to everyone in the App Store shortly.

This release contains a major overhaul of our camera functionality. We've learned a lot from Evernote Scannable, and wanted to make the Evernote camera even more powerful for all users and more familiar to our new users coming from Scannable.

New Features in 7.7:

• New Camera functionality:
    • No more swiping between camera modes! We are striving to make our camera as easy to use as possible. The camera will now open in “auto mode” (iPhone 4S and iPod Touch will open in manual mode).
    • Point your camera at a document, Post-it® Note, business card, Moleskin, or receipt, and voila! We capture the image automagically.
    • You’ll see your images in a tray instead of the little 4x4 quad at the bottom. Tap an image and you can modify it directly before saving the note:
      • Change the image type (Not a business card? Change it to a document or just a photo with a couple taps.)
      • Crop (crop documents by dragging corners independently, crop photos by dragging sides or corners)
      • Rotate
    • Captures recognized as business cards will be OCR’ed and pre-populated. We’ll even pull-in data from LinkedIn (if you’re connected).
      • This remains a Premium feature, but there is a free 5 card trial or one year of business card scanning when you connect to LinkedIn.
    • Don’t like “auto mode”? Tap the camera mode icon in the top right corner to switch to manual mode.
    • Want to control the flash? Toggle through flash modes (On, Auto, Off) by tapping the lightning bolt icon.
      • While in Auto Camera mode, the flash will operate in torch mode in low-light conditions (with flash in auto mode) or in all light conditions (with flash turned on). This means that the flash will turn on at 20% brightness to help pinpoint document edges and corners for the best possible capture.
    • Want to take a selfie? Go for it! Tap the two-arrow icon in the top left, and you’ll suddenly be staring at yourself. (Note: you’re in control here - we won’t auto-capture when you’re in this mode.)
    • Toggle to your camera roll. We decided that every other camera app out there is on to something when they let you toggle to your camera roll to select images.
      • You’ll also notice we cleaned up this view a touch on the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus.
    • Read more about the new camera in the Evernote Blog: Picture Great Things With Evernote’s New iOS Camera Functionality
  • Start a Work Chat from the home screen
    • By combining quick note buttons for camera and photos, you now have the ability to start a new Work Chat using the Work Chat quick button on the far right of the home screen.
  • Evernote for Apple Watch (included in 7.6.6 plus a few bug fixes in this release)
    • Dictate notes into Apple Watch and they'll be transcribed and synced to Evernote
    • See recently created, updated, and viewed notes
    • Dictate searches and see results on your Apple Watch
    • Create reminders and get notified about items due today
    • Available to Apple Watch users on 4/24/15
  • Lots of bug fixes through the app and Today widget

You can download the Evernote for iOS app from the App Store.

We think the new camera is magical and hope you do too. Please let us know what you think.

Cheers!

25 replies to this idea

My iPhone 6 plus will not sync when I attach photos from my iPhone or take photos thro the event camera. Was working fine until you changed the camera.

Fed up with the constant sync issues and thinking about cancelling my Evernote account.

• Level 5*

Please add a PDF feature to the Evernote camera. If I scan multiple pages of a document, merge them into a PDF! It's simpler to read.

Hi,

While Evernote doesn't currently have this feature, Scannable does. We'll look to include that functionality in a future release of Evernote.

Thanks for your feedback.

Cheers,

Chuck

Chuck, with all due respect, if you guys can't incorporate the Scannable code in the main Evernote app without causing a lot of problems, then why do it???  Just provide a link in the Evernote app to the Scannable app.

IMO, you guys are wasting a lot of resources trying to duplicate Scannable, all the while causing new bugs and changing the UI to one that many don't like.  Why not apply those resources to fixing existing bugs, and adding long-requested features?

How many times do you guys have to prematurely roll out a new version that is full of bugs and with a change in features that the users don't like before you learn from your many failures in the past:  EN iOS 6, Sketch 2, Penultimate, EN Mac 6, etc.

I have totally quit trusting Evernote, and will never update to a new version for at least weeks until I can see user reports that there are no new major, crippling bugs or removal of critical features.

• Level 5

Please add a PDF feature to the Evernote camera. If I scan multiple pages of a document, merge them into a PDF! It's simpler to read.

Hi,

While Evernote doesn't currently have this feature, Scannable does. We'll look to include that functionality in a future release of Evernote.

Thanks for your feedback.

Cheers,

Chuck

• Level 5

I'm getting a copy/paste bug when trying to paste in a bulleted list. It appears to not paste the text, but instead enter the return command. Here's a video

Hi,

Thanks for the video. Copying / pasting in bulleted/numbered lists has been an issue we've been trying to resolve for a while. We hope to have a fix for this soon. I'm sorry that it's taking so long.

Cheers,

Chuck

• Level 5

Please change vertical cell alignment from middle to top as in Evernote Mac.

Thank you very much!

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback - can you please advise what screens you're referring to?

Cheers,

Chuck

• Level 5

Hi all,

Thanks for all of your feedback.

We are investigating crashes while taking pictures and hope to have a fix for this soon. It would be very helpful if you could let us know the device and OS version that you're using as well as if other camera apps are crashing too. Meanwhile, we have seen that restarting the device will often help users get past any crashing issues.

We are also looking to add a feature to remember your last used camera settings (auto/manual mode, flash mode, and front/back-facing camera mode). Look for this in an upcoming release.

Also, as I mentioned above, the fix for Customize Home Screen settings in iOS 8.3 (released by Apple today) will be in the next release. We've been actively testing on iOS 8.3 device, but please let us know if you run into other issues using Evernote after you upgrade your device to iOS 8.3.

Thanks!

Chuck

After a full power off and restart of the iPhone 5s the ability to do the manual selection of the type of photo (doc, business card, etc.) is now presented and appears to be working.  The delays in processing have also been significantly reduced.

Update: Now that the feature is working, it is still more difficult to use and slower than the old method.

The auto photo capture seems to be working OK now. I rebooted my phone last night, so maybe that had something to do with it. Or they made a change on the backend. 

I also have a support ticket open. 

• Level 5*

I'm getting a copy/paste bug when trying to paste in a bulleted list. It appears to not paste the text, but instead enter the return command. Here's a video

Thanks for sharing that video.  It clearly illustrates the issue.

What I don't understand is how stuff like this gets past the most basic testing !?!?!?!?

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE bring back the old camera capture method.  I have been trying to get my wife to use Evernote for a while now and I thought the way it captures business cards would be a great start since she was complaining about how hard it is to keep track of them.  I didn't realize she had updated her iPhone 4s with this latest release.  I went to show her how it worked last night.  After it crashed twice along with taking FOREVER to capture, then a long time to respond after the capture, her response was "I could do this a lot faster manually entering these.  How is Evernote supposed to make things easier for me"?

At a minimum give us the option to turn this feature on or off so we can select the type of photo again.  I just updated my 5s to make sure it wasn't an issue with her older 4s.  This update is clearly a mistake.  It has rendered the feature useless.

Not a fan of the new camera settings. How do I permanently turn off the "auto mode" on iOS for iPhone 6? My camera takes random pictures of the corner of my text and is not capturing the whole page (using a moleskine evernote journal). Will work if it's in manual mode, but I really do not want to have to turn it off each time I want to scan something (goes for flash as well, not good when in a university library).

I like some of the improvements... loving the photo tray at the bottom, the ability to rotate images. And generally, I like the idea of making image capture more efficient.

Honestly though, not a huge fan of Auto Mode...yet. It seems very determined to find a document, so taking a normal photo can be difficult unless Auto Mode is disabled. Not a big deal, except I was making several photo-based notes today, and I had to turn off Auto Mode every time (it doesn't just stay off until re-enabled). I would prefer to have basically those two modes (document & photo) and have it default to whatever I used last.

Another one step back. With the last update the app crash everytime when I try to take photos. the dame issue on iphone 4s and iPad mini 2. iOS 8.2, premium member. Shame on you.

• Level 5*

Settings are broken. Can't delete sections from Home Screen anymore.

Hi,

There is an issue with Evernote on devices running iOS 8.3 beta releases that causes this to happen. It will be fixed in Evernote for iOS 7.7.1.

Cheers,

Chuck

Should EN iOS 7.7 run properly in iOS Ver 8.1.3 and 8.2?  Are there any know issues for these iOS versions?

• Level 5

Settings are broken. Can't delete sections from Home Screen anymore.

Hi,

There is an issue with Evernote on devices running iOS 8.3 beta releases that causes this to happen. It will be fixed in Evernote for iOS 7.7.1.

Cheers,

Chuck

• Level 5*

Hi all,

Earlier today we released Evernote for iOS 7.7, and it should be available to everyone in the App Store shortly.

This release contains a major overhaul of our camera functionality. We've learned a lot from Evernote Scannable, and wanted to make the Evernote camera even more powerful for all users and more familiar to our new users coming from Scannable.

. . .

@cifip:  Thanks for the update, and especially for giving the user lots of choices in how to operate the Camera.  I hope this represents a new trend for Evernote design:  Providing the User with Options/Preferences (rather than shoving just one way down our throats  ;)  )

This is really greatly appreciated, and makes the app much more user-friendly.

Good to hear, but how soon until we can see a fix for the lack of visible spell check? I know autocorrect work but the lack of red squiggly lines has been missing for at least a year and it's unfortunately lead to some embarrassing typos as I share out the notes. Thanks!

Archived