Very simple question

Hi evernote team

I hope this email finds you alive and well.

I have a VERY simple question

How do you log into evernote account on a mobile browser for Android

Like Maxthon, Dolphin etc 

On my mobile browser i try this page

And it says

"Sorry, Evernote Web is not supported on android browsers"

So I try this page 

click sign in enter my details and it says

"Incorrect username and/or password"

Later it says

"service unavailable"

When I click the link sign in

It takes me to my account settings page. (on my phone)

It says "Signed in as ######" (my account)

but i can't get to my notes!

How do you do it???

I have work account and a family account.

And some times I need my work notes (evernote) on my phone. The work evernote has over four thousand notes, files and the like. I don't need it on my phone (and dont want it on my phone). I just need to access some notes some time!!!!

Please help me

Regards

Regan

• Level 5

Use your Android phone and go to the Android Play Store,

Search for the Evernote app and install.

After you install it, you will need to log on to the Evernote app with your username and password.

Be sure to synchronize regularly - especially when you start it up and when you shut it down.

Read the posts on this forum regarding Android

and

Read the Knowledge Base for Evernote posts on Android

https://evernote.com/contact/support/kb/#!/search?device=android&product=evernote

Hi Benson

Thank you for a very fast reply.

I already have the evernote app on my android phone. And it is linked to my family account. My phone is almost full and if I load the work account on to my phone it will over fill it. My work account is almost 2Gb. 

I just need to check some notes. 

Can you log in on android mobile browser? 

Can it be done?

Hi Regan,

One cannot log in to your Evernote account on a mobile browser, whether iOS, Android or Windows Smartphone. That's by design. You will get redirected to the App Store, Google Play store, etc. 

If your work account is 2GB, that is a nonevent on mobile, UNLESS you choose to download all of your notebooks for offline access. What happens on mobile, is that as long as you have internet access, the app searches the Evernote servers directly. If you are offline and have specifically set some/ all notebooks to be downloaded for offline access, those notes will be stored on your device... otherwise, what happens is that it looks like you have 4,000 notes on your phone, but it only really downloads the note headers for your note lists. Only once you actually open a note up, then the content gets temporarily downloaded, whether text, images, PDF's etc... 

You can verify your app's usage on your phone's settings I imagine. Downloading and doing a fresh install of a mobile app should not be set to download notebooks for offline viewing as a default. If it does in fact do that, you can change that in the Evernote app's settings

More importantly, you cannot have 2 different Evernote apps on the same device, unless you have signed up for a beta program and have a beta version. So... either way you're not going to be able to install both the family and work accounts on the same app. Also, unlike the desktop apps, one cannot simply switch accounts within the same app. You have to choose which account you want on your phone.  

You mentioned that you needed to access some of your work notes some of the time. The workaround for that would be to put those into one or more notebooks that you can share with yourself (to your personal/ family account).

You will basically join those notebooks and have a copy of them on your phone (and all the other clients/ versions). You can give yourself editing permissions too.

Take a look into that and tinker a bit. If you need further help, you can stop by here again... or search the forums. There's plenty of info on that. Plus there's the Evernote Knowledge Base.

Good luck!!

Hi Frank 

Thank you for a full answer and fast reply.

No log in!!!

That is a REAL shame............

Why would this be???

It is supposed to be a mobile world.

I love evernote and tell all that will listen about it. But I just can not fathom, that you can not log into your account on a mobile.

I would have never in million years thought that to be true. 

(I know you can get as far as your account page)

((And NO I do not want my work evernote on my phone, what if you lost your phone. All your data is there!!))

I love the idea/suggestion that you gave me for sharing a note book. That is awesome : )

I'll use that for pre-planned notes that I need. But some times you need to just look through work report while out and about. 

Thank you for your effort

Regards

Regan

PS. I thought that I might be able to load my work account onto and SD card, but you cant. You can not save your data to an SD card . 

I share your disappointment in part, since originally I wanted public notebooks I shared to be searchable (and loooong notes scrollable) on mobile device, but alas, it is not possible, at least not on iOS. One cannot scroll further down to see the text in a longer note that scrolls off the screen. Anyways...

As far as having work info. on your phone and losing it... Evernote premium does have a two-step verification feature that might help you out: https://blog.evernote.com/blog/2013/05/30/evernotes-three-new-security-features/

Yes... you can start getting a game plan together of how you structure your work account so that you can share the pertinent notes you'll need to access on your mobile by way of a shared notebook(s)

Thank you again Frank

Evernote is awesome, but it has some way to go. I thought that a mobile log in would a "natural" feature.

I'll look into the two step security feature, but to be honest I really do not want our projects, project history, client details, account details, and all our valuable data instantly search-able by some one who "finds" my phone.

Thanks again for the idea, I'll implement it during the easter break. 

Regards 

Regan

• 3 weeks later...
Hey Every One

If you have come here looking the answer for the question I posted above. It has now been half resolved / solved.

You need to install an app on your PC and phone like Jump desktop or VNC viewer (their are plenty choice is yours) and log into you PC and access the notes you need. 

The cons on this process is 

1. You cant copy and paste text from one to the other. PC to phone

= the work around is to then send/share the note you need to email, then open your gmail or hotmail and it is there.

2. Your PC has to be on!!! and online......

3. It is a little slow and fiddly..

Dont ask me why you CAN NOT log in on a mobile browser. It is freaking annoying! 

Most people have 2 or more evernote accounts 

Personal/Family/work 1/work 2 (yes some people have 2 jobs)

And a SIMPLE mobile log in would cover this need VERY easily.

Also a big thanks to Frank and his super helpful hints about sharing a notebook for preplanned notes needed.

Awesome Frank : ) 

Cheers All

Regan

Most people have 2 or more evernote accounts 
Personal/Family/work 1/work 2 (yes some people have 2 jobs)

Ummm... I would think quite the opposite, sorry  :P

The whole idea of having 2 accounts seems to go against the basic tenets of convenience. And the whole thing about Evernote (or any decent note repository out there) is that one should be able to partition (if need be) and consolidate one's multifaceted digital storage needs under one roof (account). 

If one has a business account, it can be integrated into one's personal account. If security is an issue, enable a pass code on your mobile devices' lock screen. If space is an issue on mobile, either download specific notebooks for offline use or make sure you have an internet connection when you need it. 

If one has 2 accounts because they originally anticipated the need for separation, the time invested in consolidating them (transferring material over) is well worth it in the long run. The alternative is... well... no elegant alternative yet (apart from using a beta app), unless you're predominantly on desktop... But then even if you use your mobile on occasion, I'm assuming it's for a darn good reason. 

Hi Frank

That is a good thought.

But I have a little question. 

I have a personal/family evernote account that has all my bills, expenses, drop box links to family albums, personal diary and personal thoughts and ideas captured (thank you Evernote)

That I don't want on my work PC.

(yes some text is encrypted with pass code)

I work for Company A, that has an it's own evernote account. That has all the client details, database and services log in details, legal documents, invoices, accounts. Work projects in-line, active work projects and completed work projects etc

This account is "Public" to every one in the company to access. It is awesome to see work flow in, in real time. Every one has there own not book stack, but every one can all access it. Plus the Companies notebook stacks. 

Our work account is almost 2Gb and has over 5000 notes.  

As a company we don't want ALL that information on everyone's mobile phone. But access for the feild would be awesome. 

And thirdly I run a side project as marketing direct company that handles/receives 300-1200 new calls/clients each month.

Thats 10-40 new notes/clients per day. 

I have a new notebook stack for every month, each stack has several note books that run for that month.

And has been running for over 20 months. So you can imagine that note count!

Is there a guide, link or tute that I can study and TRY and smoosh all these into one.....??

Thats why I would LOVE a mobile browser login.

Because at any PC (at work, home, travel)

I can log into my personal account (on lap top), open fire fox and open Company A's account, open chrome and log into Direct Marketings account and keep them separate. 

I cant imagine having ALL this on my mobile, (you cant store evernote on your SD card) 

Thank you for your effort

Cheers 

Regan 

PS.  I think it is hard to deny that a certain division between private and professional is an absolute necessity in some cases, in the same way most people have both a professional e-mail account as a private one.

If your company has the Business version, you can integrate that with your personal account on the same interface - on both desktop and mobile. Does your company use Evernote Business?

Your worry about space on your mobile device may be overcome by not downloading anything (notebooks)... just the note headers will be downloaded... and your mobile device interacts directly with Evernote servers while online.

Yes... you are right... sometimes there needs to be a division between private and professional, especially if it is a shared account and/ or you work with colleagues. It really depends. You may find shared notebooks to be of use. I didn't realize that you were collaborating with multiple colleagues in a company. Only you can make that call... but I do believe that Evernote business allows one to toggle the integration of business and personal accounts on the same interface. Privacy/ security may be another issue, since there are more avenues/ opportunities with multiple colleagues for sensitive information to fall into the wrong hands.

Hi Frank

We looked into Evernote Business and it is a great product. But the main concern with every one was that we don't our personal files on our work PC's. 

We don't want any personal .enex files search able on a work PC and work server. And then backed up to a work server on both cloud and physical back ups.

No one wants that.....

On the PC it is easy to keep EN Personal separate from EN Work and separate from EN Marketing Direct.

At work, the work EN is loaded on the work PC (public account)

If I need personal EN at work I just log in with chrome.

If I need Marketing Direct EN at work I just log in with fire fox.

At home my personal EN is loaded on my PC

If I need Work EN I just log in with chrome.

If I need Marketing Direct EN I just log in with fire fox or sign out and sign in with the other user on EN client. 

I just wanted the same for mobile.

EN personal on the phone 

EN Work on Dolphin browser =mobile browser log in

EN Marketing Direct Maxthon browser =mobile browser log in

It's just a mobile log in.

Thanks again for you efforts.

Regards 

Regan 
  • 10 months later...

Time for a reality check.  

I'm in the Philippines today and the Internet cafes are disappearing fast. Now that everyone has a smartphone, it's the same everywhere.  Internet cafes are history.  

Without Android web access, I'm completely cut off from all notes not saved locally to my phone.  

Example (true) I'm in the PI immigration office trying to resolve a big possible problem.  My phone is missing, stolen, battery dead or whatever and I have no way to access my EN information.  I have Android access to Dropbox. Evernote needs to understand that PC only web access is unacceptable.

Hi @MJFrost,

Evernote Plus and Premium allow you to download notebooks for offline viewing on your mobile device. So Evernote does provide exactly what you need, which would require that prior to disconnecting from the internet/ traveling, you download those notebooks you need.

I do believe that Dropbox on mobile device works in a similar fashion. They do not automatically download all of your files to your Android, unless you had previously opened them on your device or actively chosen to download. I'm relatively sure that no one would have the space on their mobile devices for everything to be downloaded... but, once again, if you have a paid plan with Evernote you could easily have everything downloaded. Nothing stopping you.

Question is... didn't you know you could download Evernote notebooks for offline use? Perhaps you're using the basic (free) plan?

Why would you mention having access to Dropbox on your Android... knowing you had previously downloaded your notes available in your Dropbox app?

I'm a little confused when you say:

4 hours ago, MJFrost said:

Evernote needs to understand that PC only web access is unacceptable.

... because you do mention that, "I'm completely cut off from all notes not saved locally to my phone."

So either you don't know about offline notebooks for mobile device... or you expected your Evernote Android client to automatically download everything as the default (which Dropbox does not do either). 

"Offline notebooks" is a huge selling point for Evernote. They really do speak a lot about it everywhere... including popups in-app.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, MJFrost said:

Without Android web access, I'm completely cut off from all notes not saved locally to my phone. ...Evernote needs to understand that PC only web access is unacceptable. 

I'm not sure what you're asking for.  
It seems obvious that if you're not storing your notes locally on your phone for when you don't have internet access - Yes, you are cut off.
I keep a copy of my notes on my iPad. 
What are you proposing as a solution?

• Level 5*
9 minutes ago, Frank.dg said:

Maybe "Evernote-only roaming" capabilities bundled into a Super-Premium plan.

Can you give more details - what features would this provide?

15 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Can you give more details - what features would this provide?

This would allow you to have internet access only for your Evernote notes no matter where you roam. It would involve having a direct satellite link. Maybe Evernote should get together with Garmin and produce an Evernote device for those who prefer not to use offline notebooks. :lol: 

IOW, @DTLow, I was not being serious. Expect the absurd from me from time to time. Also, my previous (serious) comment might have given a clue as to what's really going through my head. Just saying.

• 1 month later...

First of all let me express my frustration that EN is not available on a mobile device unless you install a client. I was with some party of people recently and my phone battery ran empty. Rather than charging my phone I asked if I could use that person's tablet to check for an important note I had. Yes, of course I know you should lever trust other people's devices and login from their devices to your account - what what's the point if you are in the pain of getting a note you need and you can't access your device. No charger accessible and without them first installing Evernote on the device (didn't work because there wasn't enough space), I had no way to access EN. So thank you Evernote for making my life miserable. So I figured out you can access EN via Puffin browser and it goes through 3rd party proxy. So without a bit trickery you still can access EN but not without spending about 20 minutes trying to resolve this when I could have gone home in 20 minutes to get the charger. Thanks Evernote for making this it a lot more difficult that necessary to get to information I need in emergency situation like that. You go to think twice if you consider relying on EN service for situation like this not to mention before you spend money om the monthly / yearly subscription service (I have a business plan by the way under different account name). 

On 3/1/2016 at 4:09 AM, MJFrost said:

Time for a reality check.  

I'm in the Philippines today and the Internet cafes are disappearing fast. Now that everyone has a smartphone, it's the same everywhere.  Internet cafes are history.  

Without Android web access, I'm completely cut off from all notes not saved locally to my phone.  

Example (true) I'm in the PI immigration office trying to resolve a big possible problem.  My phone is missing, stolen, battery dead or whatever and I have no way to access my EN information.  I have Android access to Dropbox. Evernote needs to understand that PC only web access is unacceptable.

You have an option to purchase Evernote service for 1 MONTH. Purchase the service for 1 month, download your notes and disable internet connection on your mobile device while you use Evernote. That way your notes will stay on your device while you are traveling. Secondly, if you have Android device you can download app called EveryEver and that enables you to download offline notes. Currently there is no app (other than the official app) for iOS that enables access to notes (other than Clear app which was available but disappeared from the store after not being updated for a long time).

EveryEver 

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.trashfeed.everdrop.core&hl=en

Keep in mind, this works through EN API. EN may have changed their API policy by restricting it to a certain number of calls to API per hour, so if you download and upload or sync many notes using 3rd party applications like EveryEver you may get cut off for 1 hours before the counter resets and you should be able to access EN service again.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, polocanada said:

First of all let me express my frustration that EN is not available on a mobile device unless you install a client. I was with some party of people recently and my phone battery ran empty. Rather than charging my phone I asked if I could use that person's tablet to check for an important note I had. Yes, of course I know you should lever trust other people's devices and login from their devices to your account - what what's the point if you are in the pain of getting a note you need and you can't access your device. No charger accessible and without them first installing Evernote on the device (didn't work because there wasn't enough space), I had no way to access EN. So thank you Evernote for making my life miserable. So I figured out you can access EN via Puffin browser and it goes through 3rd party proxy. So without a bit trickery you still can access EN but not without spending about 20 minutes trying to resolve this when I could have gone home in 20 minutes to get the charger. Thanks Evernote for making this it a lot more difficult that necessary to get to information I need in emergency situation like that. You go to think twice if you consider relying on EN service for situation like this not to mention before you spend money om the monthly / yearly subscription service (I have a business plan by the way under different account name). 

Likewise in IOS - you can't access Evernote in the browser (Safari)
I don't know why - I've never seen a reason given.

Personally, as part of my backup process, I keep a copy of my notes (html-export) in iCloud - a Dropbox equivalent

7 hours ago, polocanada said:

Thanks Evernote for making this it a lot more difficult that necessary to get to information I need in emergency situation like that. You go to think twice if you consider relying on EN service for situation like this not to mention before you spend money om the monthly / yearly subscription service...

So all is right with the world (and with Evernote)... until your battery dies. Then Evernote has made your life "miserable". You could make the same argument for equally (if not more) urgent services being inaccessible:

• Can you check your WhatApp messages on someone else's phone?
  • Can you access your contacts on a colleague's mobile device?... are your calls automatically re-routed to your BFF's phone?

While we're at it, your acquaintance is also to blame for not having enough space on their mobile device to download the app... and what a lack of solidarity for not deleting at least one video clip to free up more space.

BTW, useful tip on Puffin Browser. 

• Level 5*
On 3/1/2016 at 7:13 AM, Frank.dg said:

Evernote Plus and Premium allow you to download notebooks for offline viewing on your mobile device. So Evernote does provide exactly what you need, which would require that prior to disconnecting from the internet/ traveling, you download those notebooks you need.

Exactly.

@MJFrost and @polocanada:

Preparing your digital equipment and data for a trip is no different that anything else:  Before you leave you need to determine what you need, what resources will be available  to you on your trip, and what you need to take with you.

Evernote paid accounts provide for offline notebooks just for this purpose:  access when you don't have an Internet connection.
You can store as many notes as your device allows, but in general I would not expect one would need that much space for trips  of a month or less.  But that is up to you to determine.

Evernote has not offered access by browser on mobile devices for a long time now.

If you are going to be in places that don't offer ready access to power to recharge your phone, then you need to be prepared and take extra batteries/battery packs with you.  Would you leave on a trip through the desert without proper fuel and water?

26 minutes ago, JMichaelTX said:

Would you leave on a trip through the desert without proper fuel and water?

Exactly.

Would you attempt to fall in love without voluntarily making yourself blind?

Archived