Corrupted note

VickyS

Hello 

I'm having big problems with Evernote on my PC. I seems like I have a note that's corrupted. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling but each time it's still opening up on the same note with the issues. I can't seem to get past it and I'm getting a 'Fatal Error' message that forces it to quit. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance! 

Vicky 

Instead of opening the Evernote Windows client, invoke ENscript.exe from the Windows command line, and use it to force a synchronization of the local and server-stored copies of your database:

c:\progra~1\evernote\evernote\enscript syncDatabase

Then go to the webclient (online, in your browser) and delete the offending note.

Finally, force another local synch from the command line:

The offending note should be purged, and the Windows client should open properly.

Hope this helps!

Rob

• Level 5*

@Vicky:

If Rob's clever solution doesn't work, you might try:

1. Review the Activity Log in EN Win to identify the problem Note.
  2. Copy the contents of this Note outside of Evernote (like to Word, EditPad, etc)
  3. Delete this Note and empty your EN Trash.
  4. Now try a manual sync.

Thank you both RobertJSawyer and JMichael. 

Robert I click on ENScript and nothing seems to be happening. 

JMichael how do I access the Activity Log in EN Win? (Layman's terms would be great - thank you!) 

Hi, Vicky.

I'm willing to try once more to help, but you must do exactly and precisely what I say.  You didn't before, and that's why it didn't work. :)

I said:

invoke ENscript.exe from the Windows command line

You said:

I click on ENScript and nothing seems to be happening

That's because those two things aren't the same.  The key to my technique is not to just run ENScript, but to run it with the command-line parameter "SyncDatabase" -- that's the part that tells the program to contact the online Evernote servers and synchronize your database.

Here's how you do that:

You have to get to the Windows command prompt.  In most versions of Windows, you do it by clicking the START button.

From the START menu, look for "Programs" or "All Programs" (depending on your version of Windows).  Click on that.

In that list you should see a folder named "Accessories."  Click on that.

In the Accessories folder, click on "Command prompt."

OK.  You should now be in a new window, and there will be something like this displayed:

C:\>

There may be some intervening text, such as C:\Users\Vicky>, but the string will start with C:\ and end with a greater-than sign. That thing is the command prompt; it's prompting you to enter a command there.

Copy this full line of text to the clipboard:

COPY THE WHOLE THING, including the space and the word "syncDatabase."

Now, PASTE that at the command prompt (right-click with your mouse and select "Paste") so that the prompt is immediately followed by that text, like this:

C:\Users\Vicky>c:\progra~1\evernote\evernote\enscript syncDatabase

Hit the ENTER key on your keyboard.

You should see a lot of things listed on the screen, and it may take a little while.  When your computer is done, it will put another command prompt on screen:

C:\Users\Vicky>

Okay, THAT'S WHEN YOU GO ON TO STAGE TWO:

Then go to the Evernote webclient online, in your web browser, by going to: https://www.evernote.com.  Log into your account (and ignore any offer to switch to the beta version of Evernote).  Find and delete the corrupted note (it'll likely be the most-recently changed one, or one of the most-recent ones), and it may look JUST FINE in your web browser, but DELETE IT anyway.

Then go back to the command prompt, and issue the exact same command as before: just paste it in again, or hit F3 (which repeats the last command), then hit ENTER.  Again, make sure it's THIS WHOLE COMMAND:

Once more, you'll see updates on screen, and then, when the computer is finished, you'll see a prompt again.

C:\Users\Vicky>

Type the word EXIT at the command prompt, hit ENTER, and the Command Prompt window will close.

Now try to run Evernote Windows.

Rob

Hi 

Thanks for bearing with - I really do appreciate this. I followed your instructions to the letter and pasted the command string to C:\Users\vshepherd>. When I click enter the Command Prompt tells me 'The system cannot find the path specified.' Any ideas? 

Vicky 

Hi, Vicky.  Perhaps, for some reason, your Evernote program files are in a different location.  On your desktop or in your start menu there should be a shortcut to Evernote.  Right-click on it, select the tab named "Shortcut," and look at the field labelled "Start in."  Does it say PRECISELY this?

"C:\Program Files\Evernote\Evernote\"

If it does, then we'll have to think further -- perhaps someone else can help us with user permissions, something I don't know much about.

If it doesn't say precisely that (if any part of it, including the initial letter, is different), then copy the entirety of what it does say to your clipboard, and do the following.  NOTE:  It is CRUCIAL that you keep the quotation marks intact.

Go to the Command Prompt and paste in what you just copied, but don't press ENTER yet:

C:\>users\vshepard>"C:\Program Files\Evernote\Evernote\"

BACKSPACE to delete the closing quote, so it says something like:

C:\>users\vshepard>"C:\Program Files\Evernote\Evernote\

IMMEDIATELY FOLLOWING THE FINAL BACKSLASH (\) with NO intervening space, type exactly this (note the quotation mark):

enscript" syncDatabase

so that the line says something akin to:

C:\>users\vshepard>"C:\Program Files\Evernote\Evernote\enscript" syncDatabase

Remember the "C:\Program Files\Evernote\Evernote\ part will be different.

NOW PRESS ENTER.

If that works, then follow the rest of the instructions (go online, delete the note, and run this command at the command prompt again by pressing F3, then ENTER).

Rob

Archived