How to make a link to a note which would work on all devices?

dmitry_bond

Hi.

In Windows version of EverNote there is a possibility to right-click a note and click "Copy Note Link".

Then I can select a text in another note, click Ctr+K and paste copied link.

Then by clicking that text in a note it will jump to a note I previously copied link to.

But there is a problem with this feature!

The link copied in such way in 90% cases does not work on other devices! 

So, in EverNote for Android and in EverNote Touch clicking such link will open webbrowser instead of jumping into a note by link.

The question is - how to make a stable-working link to a note which would work on any device without opening webbrowser?

Btw, it looks like a yet another bug in EverNote. :-(

Another usage option (which is very important for me) - formatting options in EverNote are poor, even for making quite simple things like - fixed-width/fixed-cells table with tables inside cells (only 2 levels of tables).

So, I found a way to workaround it - I prepared simple HTML file (no script, no CSS, only pure/simple HTML) which does exactly formatting I need.

Then I can drag such HTML file into a notebook in EverNote and it would work fine - it shows exctly the formatting I need.

But there is a problem! All the urls I specified in <a href="..."> HTML tags in this HTML file are not work on other devices! 

So, on Android it is opening webbrowser for that url instead of opening a note by specified url! :-( 

On Windows version it works fine but on all other devices it does not.

So, still the same question - how to make a stable-working link to a note which would work on any device without opening webbrowser?

I mean - I need a URL-to-a-note which I can insert into HTML file with my formatting and then drag&drop this HTML file into notebook in EverNote and I expect links MUST WORK CORRECTLY, so they must open a note-by-url inside EverNote application instead of opening webbrowser.

Is it possible?

Regards,
Dmitry.

• Level 5*

Hi.  When you create a link to a note on your desktop,  the note is actually stored on the desktop's permanent storage,  so the app can link to the actual note so that you can edit that note.  If you link from any other device,  the note is kept either on the server or on your desktop hard drive.  Another device doesn't have access to your desktop hard drive,  so it will link to the server - either via EN Web (in a browser) as a view-only page in the browser.  So your request for links which will work on any device without opening the web browser is basically impossible.

• Level 5*

So your request for links which will work on any device without opening the web browser is basically impossible.

Well then, Gaz, I just did the impossible.

In Note A in EN Mac 6.0.7, I created a link to Note B by right-clicking on Note B, choose "Copy Note Link", and then paste into Note A.

Sync EN Mac.

Open EN iPhone 7.6.5 and sync.

Open Note A

Tap the link to Note B, and Note B opens in EN iPhone.

• Level 5*

The OP said..

I need a URL-to-a-note which I can insert into HTML file with my formatting and then drag&drop this HTML file into notebook in EverNote and I expect links MUST WORK CORRECTLY, so they must open a note-by-url inside EverNote application instead of opening webbrowser.

and you made a note link.

Hm...

Interesting thing.

I found one note where I can clearly see a difference on Andorid - 2 links to the same note in one note but one link shown in green color, another one is shown in blue color.

When I click 1st - EverNote correctly jump to a note by link, when I click 2nd - EverNote opens webbrowser.

But on Windows both links are jump to the same note inside EverNote without opening webbrowser.

I exported that note (with 2 diff-colored links) into HTML file and looked inside.

I can see 2 URLs:

• <a href="evernote:///view/17766690/s165/xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx/xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx/"><b>note.2</b></a>
  • <a href="h t t p s : / / www.evernote.com/shard/s165/nl/17766690/xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx"><b>note.2</b></a>
(note: I added spaces to make it shown correctly in this forum post)

I have tried to change links in my HTML file using similar format for URL - "evernote:///.../{Note GUID}". After some experiments I can see one of links begin to work on Android. But now it does not work on Windows. :-(

What the hell is going on with links inside EverNote?...
  • Level 5*

There's a choice of links in Evernote - click the link and you get (I think) a link to either the web version or the 'local' file version,  depending on what's available at the time.  Ctrl-click the link and you get the local file link only.  A green link means it's a local file link - a blue file link means there's a 'smart' link to whatever's available.  You can create a link that will work on a local device,  and you can see the note even if you're working on a different machine that doesn;t have Evernote installed.  What other options do you need?

• Level 5*

What the hell is going on with links inside EverNote?...

You might try the steps I outlined above using EN Win and EN Android and see if it works the same as EN Mac and EN iPhone.

I have been putting links in one note to other Notes for years and it has always worked fine in EN Mac, EN iPhone, and EN iPad.

The link always brings up the Note in the Evernote app on whatever device I'm using.

Archived