Can't edit newer Office documents in Windows

RickABQ

When I double click on an attached Excel, Word, or PowerPoint file, I can't always edit the file and save changes back to Evernote.  Older .doc, .xls, and .ppt files open in the folder C:\Users\Rick\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote\Databases\Attachments under the original file name.  If I make changes and save, the files get saved back to Evernote.

Newer .docx, .xlsx, and .pptx files open in C:\Users\Rick\AppData\Local\Temp as read-only, with names like Xl0000001.xls and Ppt0000000.ppt.  Saved changes do not get saved back to Evernote.

How can I get this to behave consistently, always allowing me to save changes back to Evernote?

Thanks,

Rick

• Level 5*

Sounds like this is an Office problem rather than Evernote - double-clicking the file link should open the file in the host application.  From what you say,  the document is opening,  but the file (or a temporary copy) is being opened in the 'wrong' place.  When you close the changed document,  does the new content show up in the temporary file?  Is the original unchanged?  Worst case - you should be able to drag and drop the new document into the note,  to add to,  or to replace the original.  I'd suggest having a look in your Office options though,  to see whether you can change the file location...

• 5 weeks later...

Took me a while but I found that you were correct - something in my Office installation had become corrupt.  I ran a Repair on Office and this corrected the problem.  Thanks!  I never noticed because the way I normally opened documents in Office didn't cause this behavior, but if I double-clicked on a .xlsx file in windows explorer, it did the same thing.

Rick

Archived