cataloging personal library into Evernote

washbear

I'm interested in cataloging all the books in my personal library (well over a thousand books) and keeping that list in Evernote somehow.  What would be an easy way to get all those titles into Evernote?  Is there a decent barcode scanner that would sync well with Evernote to make the job easier?  How do you manage your personal library?  Can you recommend a great app that might work with Kindle?

• Level 5*

If you use Goodreads, you can use IFTTT to send stuff to Evernote, as long as you just want a list and nothing in say, tables. You can use a smartphone to scan barcodes in bulk, then bulk add them to a list you create - maybe "My Bookshelf" or the like. Then the IFTTT recipe will catch it and add it to a running Evernote note.

I manage my library in Goodreads, because it's a website focused on books and I think it's really good for that. That way I have one place I go to when I'm doing book-related things. I don't know how well anything works with Kindle (especially depending on the Kindle you have), but I know from my experience working at a library that Kindles are extremely locked down and limited in usability outside simply buying and reading eBooks. I honestly don't even know if you can hook up a scanner to one. 

• Level 5*

IFTTT is a website that stands for "IF This, Then That." Essentially you set a trigger event (such as new item in Goodreads To Read feed) and a reaction action (such as append to a note in Evernote). I actually use it to pump into a Trello board, though I'm terrible at keeping it updated. It's a bit tricky, as you have to use the RSS feed from Goodreads to make it work, but it's the only way I can think of doing it. A barcode scanner will just input the barcode into your note -- you need something that will look up that barcode and pull in the book data, which the Goodreads mobile app does.

Thank you, Chirmer!  I'll look into that IFTTT... anything to make it easier!  I was also looking at the RefME app, which lets you enter books one by one and formats them (MLA, Chicago Manual Style, that sort of thing).  But you still have to cut and paste them over to Evernote.  Not the most efficient way.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm interested in cataloging all the books in my personal library (well over a thousand books) and keeping that list in Evernote somehow.  What would be an easy way to get all those titles into Evernote?  Is there a decent barcode scanner that would sync well with Evernote to make the job easier?  How do you manage your personal library?  Can you recommend a great app that might work with Kindle?

Hi, why don't you have a look at this article?

This is brilliant!  Thanks for posting this!

This is brilliant!  Thanks for posting this!

That article saved my life! ;-)

Archived