Groups of Tags

guymanstuff

Maybe this already exists in Evernote ..or maybe not; if not I'd like it to be a feature request.

So the idea is that when I am working with things in Evernote there are certain types of information that I enter that get the same tags. For instance, manuals for products I am doing development with get organized in my Evernote account. Sometimes that kind of product gets repeated by the same manufacturer and so I'd like most of the tags to be the same except for 1 or 2. Well it would be nice if I could add the bulk of those tags to a group which I could then apply to my note and it would just drop most of those tags in without my having to type all of them in every time.

We can think of it as a custom template or even a tag for the tags.

Cheers

• Level 5

Yes, it can be done.

1. Search for the general topic you want
  2. Select all the appropriate notes (Ctrl + Left Click with Windows)
  3. Bulk add the tag to all the ones you selected (where it says Click to add tag...)

... it would be nice if I could add the bulk of those tags to a group which I could then apply to my note and it would just drop most of those tags in without my having to type all of them in every time. 

Ctrl + Alt + T is the only way another way you're going to add multiple tags to multiple notes simultaneously on Windows desktop... but you have to manually select your group of tags every time. There is no current feature such as the one you are requesting.

Another thing you can do is use a 3rd-party app to get (some of) your notes into Evernote while setting multiple default tags (and a notebook destination) in settings. There are a handful of such apps on iOS... including SnapEntry.

Another possible workaround might be to save a template note in your shortcut menu which contains the multiple tags you're looking to use. Right click on that note and "Copy to Notebook"... also make sure the "preserve tags" box is checked. Then drag your document into that newly created note... Although I don't know that this will speed things up.

Yet another possibility might be to stack the tags together that you commonly use for multiple notes... then when you select multiple notes in the Note list, you can drag them over to your list of tags in the Left Panel and drop them onto each of the tags you want to use (one at a time).  

• Level 5

Yes, it can be done.

3. Bulk add the tag to all the ones you selected (where it says Click to add tag...)

Edit Step #3 - You can bulk add the tag (or multiple tags) to all the ones you selected.

p.s. In my example, I would not recommend bulk adding to 2,437 notes all at once.

post-53124-0-85767000-1427127981_thumb.p

• Level 5*

If you are asking about tagging a single note at a time, you might consider a text expander like PhaseExpress.  You could create a hot key such that after you positioned in the tag entry area would create all of the tags you wanted.  FWIW.

If you are asking about tagging a single note at a time, you might consider a text expander like PhaseExpress.  You could create a hot key such that after you positioned in the tag entry area would create all of the tags you wanted.  FWIW.

I imagine this could be done for adding multiple tags when emailing into Evernote too (in the subject line of the email)... adjusting the tag string to include the emailing syntax "#tag1, #tag2, #tag3..."

• Level 5*

In my experience,  if you add a single tag but include commas in the text string - as in tag1,tag2,tag3 - the string will be parsed by Evernote as separate tags.  So to add a standard set of tags,  just keep a single string of the complete set and paste it (or get a text expander to do so) where you need it.  This can't (yet) be done automatically,  but it's reasonably easy to keep sets of tags and note topics in a 'library' listing so you can quickly add multiple tags in one go.

• Level 5*

I imagine this could be done for adding multiple tags when emailing into Evernote too (in the subject line of the email)... adjusting the tag string to include the emailing syntax "#tag1, #tag2, #tag3..."

You got it.  I get some standard emails from the bank and I have a hot key which adds notebook and tags to the end of the subject line when I forward to EN.  Any kind of repetitive text thing works fine, like adding Completed plus date and time to a reminder if one cares to know when....

• Level 5*

Like @cshilling suggested, I think this is a great job for a text expander, like PhraseExpress in Win and TextExpander in Mac.

I start all of my TE macros with ";", so in this case I'd probably go with ";en.tg.<TagGroupName>"

So, in your case, could be something like ";en.tg.hp" referring to HP products.

I'd put all potential tags in the group, and then just delete the ones I don't want at the time.

But this is a great question!  I am not doing this currently, but I think I might just start doing it!   :)

Maybe this already exists in Evernote ..or maybe not; if not I'd like it to be a feature request.

So the idea is that when I am working with things in Evernote there are certain types of information that I enter that get the same tags. For instance, manuals for products I am doing development with get organized in my Evernote account. Sometimes that kind of product gets repeated by the same manufacturer and so I'd like most of the tags to be the same except for 1 or 2. Well it would be nice if I could add the bulk of those tags to a group which I could then apply to my note and it would just drop most of those tags in without my having to type all of them in every time.

We can think of it as a custom template or even a tag for the tags.

Cheers

Yes, it can be done.

You could combine both approaches to bulk tag multiple notes with multiple tags using a text expander:

• Separate your tags by a comma in the "Phrase Content" field (In your text expander)
  • Enter your "Autotext" abbreviation into the "Click to add tag" field in the Evernote bulk editor and hit Enter

This also works in the alternate Ctrl+Alt+T bulk tag editor.

Incidentally, if you enter multiple tags separated by a comma into one new tag field in the note toolbar above a note with a text expander (or any method), when you hit Enter, you get multiple tags created. Nice find for me today :-)

Archived