download vs. web version?

alynn

Hello, all.  I'm new to Evernote and can't wait to get started, but I'm confused about something.  It seems that after I created my account, I have access to a web version, so why is there a download feature?  Do I need to download on all of my devices?  I want to use Evernote on my desktop and laptop (macs) and on my iPad and iPhone.  How do I go about getting them to all access my Evernote account?  Do I need to download on all devices or does Evernote work web-based in the cloud?  Thank you.

• Level 5*

Download Evernote to all of the devices upon which you want to use it.  Then sign in and your notes will sync to those devices.  

Be sure and sync whenever you start/stop EN on a device to mitigate any sync issues.  Enjoy.

On Windows and Mac systems, if you have the downloadable client installed, Evernote stores local copies of all your notes, so that you can access them more quickly and when not online.  (On iOS devices -- iPhones, iPads -- you can select to have certain notebooks also stored locally, but with the desktop clients, all of them are stored locally.)  When you go back online, your notes will be synchronized, with a copy in the cloud and another copy on your home computer.

There are some additional features in the desktop clients that aren't in the web version; conversely, the web version can do a few things the desktop version can't (like letting you change the font size of displayed note text by holding down the Ctrl key and rolling the mouse wheel).

For you, download the Mac client, and also the iPhone and iPad apps; the apps will let you take photos and upload them directly to Evernote, among other things.  You'll probably only rarely use the web version.

• 1 year later...
14 hours ago, bapru said:

Now that the device limit for free users has been limited to 2 devices. Can you also use web version in seperate pc in addition to downloaded evernote on two devices (PC+Cellphone)?

Hi @bapru,

That's correct, the web client doesn't count towards your device count. You can read more about this at our Help & Learning Center. I hope that helps!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi @Alan D,

Both versions of Evernote will have a left-hand panel with options to navigate to different sections of your account (Tags, Notes, Notebooks, etc), but the web version looks different than the desktop version. I've attached a couple screenshots of what you'll see when viewing the account in the web vs. the downloaded desktop app. If your Windows desktop app doesn't show a list of options in the left-hand panel, try navigating to View and verifying the Left Panel option is checked off.

Web.jpg

Windows App.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • Level 5*
6 hours ago, Daccaboy said:

On my Iphone I see dozens of my notebooks. On the web version - I see almost none. This is so strange. 

Do you use local notebooks?  They won't appear on the web.

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, Daccaboy said:

On my Iphone I see dozens of my notebooks. On the web version - I see almost none. This is so strange. 

Are you using the same userid/password?

Archived